Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 22nd January 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Musical coffee morning

I took some candid shots at a U3A musical coffee morning, this morning.

Cafe:
[IMG][/IMG]

Pianist:
[IMG][/IMG]

Hands:
[IMG][/IMG]

Low angle:
[IMG][/IMG]

In the cafe:
[IMG][/IMG]

These were taken with my Pen E, available light. Some were 14-42 pancake; some 40-150, 1 was 45/1.8. I'm quite impressed and pleased with the results.
What do you think?

All comments welcome!
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (23rd January 2015)
Old 22nd January 2015

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Musical coffee morning

I love 3 and 5 - the latter is a cracker. In 2 and 4 I find the woman on the left distracting, could something be done to lessen her impact?

Flickr
Old 22nd January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
I love 3 and 5 - the latter is a cracker. In 2 and 4 I find the woman on the left distracting, could something be done to lessen her impact?
Glad you like them!
Re the woman: I liked her expression, especially in #2, since he was looking towards her - she was on her own planet, I think. I could either remove her, or darken her a bit. In #1, I thought the menu was a bit distracting, but decided to leave it for now.

We'll see what the consensus is first.
Old 22nd January 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Generally very good. I would have preferred to see more of the piano and the pianist's hand in No 1. This is achieved in No 2 but the lady is positioned uncomfortably close to the edge of the frame, as if you was unsure whether to include her or not. My favourite is No 3, which would be even better without the tripod in the background.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th January 2015

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,463 Posts
Liked 4,221 Times in 1,919 Posts

The shots are very good Keith, I like the way you've framed them and great portraits of the pianist too. Focus over all is rather soft and might benefit from a little sharpening - #3 is my favourite too. "chr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 27th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
The shots are very good Keith, I like the way you've framed them and great portraits of the pianist too. Focus over all is rather soft and might benefit from a little sharpening - #3 is my favourite too. "chr
I always reduce the pixel count to 800 or less long side and set the compression pretty high, which will make them look slightly soft. The originals look great; I should sharpen after shrinking them, but I didn't feel inclined to worry over much about it when I did them.