Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 6th January 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Two more town shots with the Pen

Two other shots of different style taken with the Pen today.

The Abbey
[IMG][/IMG]

The Yard
[IMG][/IMG]

All comments very welcome!
The Abbey shot is heavily cropped, and I'm quite pleased that it's still reasonably sharp. I like to do grooups of shots like this; they are very useful, because I edit and produce the magazine for our local U3A, and as a montage, they form the front page image.
Old 7th January 2015

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,463 Posts
Liked 4,225 Times in 1,920 Posts
Re: Two more town shots with the Pen

The Abbey doesn't work at all for me, Keith - presumably the Abbey itself is the tower in the background seen through a tangle of branches over the rooftops.
It leaves me wanting to see what you cropped out.

A step to the right would allow the viewer to read the book shop sign, although I guess all it says is now open.
I like the atmosphere of The Yard shot though.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 7th January 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
The Abbey doesn't work at all for me, Keith - presumably the Abbey itself is the tower in the background seen through a tangle of branches over the rooftops.
It leaves me wanting to see what you cropped out.

A step to the right would allow the viewer to read the book shop sign, although I guess all it says is now open.
I like the atmosphere of The Yard shot though.
Mark has already said exactly what I was going to say about the Abbey shot.

What catches my eye about the other shot is how the hat on the man on the left matches the colours of the Motorist Centre behind. This colour matching is repeated with the pole supporting the Poppa John sign in the top right. It all helps the scene appear more cohesive, although I would have preferred the man with the hat to be facing right, rather than left and out of the frame.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Mark has already said exactly what I was going to say about the Abbey shot.

What catches my eye about the other shot is how the hat on the man on the left matches the colours of the Motorist Centre behind. This colour matching is repeated with the pole supporting the Poppa John sign in the top right. It all helps the scene appear more cohesive, although I would have preferred the man with the hat to be facing right, rather than left and out of the frame.
Thanks for the comments both! The foreground of the Abbey shot is a car park. I just tried it as a 'different' view; I wasn't sure it would work, but you gotta try, haven't you?

I know what you mean about the guy on the left. Candids are always a lottery. I would have preferred it if the three people had been much closer together; but the guy with phone turned round and went in the barber's (Poppa John's), the young lady turned round and walked away, and the guy on the left turned to his right and went to the bookshop - all in the same second! It's a nice location for street shots though, isn't it? Actually better if I'd taken a step forward, before the guy on the left was quite so close.
Old 7th January 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Thanks for the comments both! The foreground of the Abbey shot is a car park. I just tried it as a 'different' view; I wasn't sure it would work, but you gotta try, haven't you?

I know what you mean about the guy on the left. Candids are always a lottery. I would have preferred it if the three people had been much closer together; but the guy with phone turned round and went in the barber's (Poppa John's), the young lady turned round and walked away, and the guy on the left turned to his right and went to the bookshop - all in the same second! It's a nice location for street shots though, isn't it? Actually better if I'd taken a step forward, before the guy on the left was quite so close.
You're right about having to try, it's the best way to learn. I can appreciate the difficulties of photographing the abbey.

Candids are never easy either, with the subjects very often not following the mental script that you anticipate! The great thing is that you can try them time and time again.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
You're right about having to try, it's the best way to learn. I can appreciate the difficulties of photographing the abbey.

Candids are never easy either, with the subjects very often not following the mental script that you anticipate! The great thing is that you can try them time and time again.
Hi John
M'mm, not so much about learning, because I've been into photography for over 50 years; but the Abbey's been shot from every useful viewpoint, and I was trying to find a view that hadn't been! This last year, though, I've sort of lost my 'eye' somewhat, and also inspiration; I don't know why because I can see faults in others' shots, but oddly find it difficult to do so in my own. I suppose we all go through phases, good and bad.
Old 7th January 2015

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Hi John
M'mm, not so much about learning, because I've been into photography for over 50 years; ...
I'd like to see a much better abbey photo, even if from a perfectly normal situation. Do you have any printed from years before digital that you can show us?
Old 7th January 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Keith!

I like what you are attempting with the abbey photo, going for a different view. The issue to me is that the abbey is too small in the picture, and too obscured by the branches. I think the shot would work better for me if the tower was far larger in the image - possibly shot in portrait to emphasize the abbey "towering" over the other buildings, and if you could get the branches framing the tower rather than obscuring it then I think it would make a really nice photo. Please note I am not suggesting climbing the trees with your pruning shears though!

For the courtyard shot I might have tried standing a foot to the right if that was possible to place the black post between the man and the sign - at the moment the sign draws in my attention as I try and work out what the missing parts of the sign say. I have to admit to not being comfortable with candid street photography at all, so you have my admiration for trying the shot at all.

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
KeithL (8th January 2015)
Old 8th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
I'd like to see a much better abbey photo, even if from a perfectly normal situation. Do you have any printed from years before digital that you can show us?
Yes, I have a set of digital pics. I'll post them later.
Old 8th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Keith!

I like what you are attempting with the abbey photo, going for a different view. The issue to me is that the abbey is too small in the picture, and too obscured by the branches. I think the shot would work better for me if the tower was far larger in the image - possibly shot in portrait to emphasize the abbey "towering" over the other buildings, and if you could get the branches framing the tower rather than obscuring it then I think it would make a really nice photo. Please note I am not suggesting climbing the trees with your pruning shears though!

For the courtyard shot I might have tried standing a foot to the right if that was possible to place the black post between the man and the sign - at the moment the sign draws in my attention as I try and work out what the missing parts of the sign say. I have to admit to not being comfortable with candid street photography at all, so you have my admiration for trying the shot at all.

Cheers,

Ralph.
I'll have a go at what you suggest for Abbey, Ralph - thanks. It rather dominates the town, but it's part way into a valley, so hard to get a high enough angle from within the town. There are actually two towers (really!) and I wanted to get them separated as much as I could. If I'd moved to my left, there's a bit clearer view - but they look even more like one tower!

Those posts are a nuisance where they are; I ought to take my chain saw with me!! I think it's a good spot though, because it's a route from the high street to a car park and cafe. Next time! Maybe....