Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 6th January 2015

Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,467 Posts
Liked 4,242 Times in 1,924 Posts
Move Over Cadel Evans!

Forty Shades of Green !

An XZ2 Selfie shot this morning at Albury Station (50 miles NE of Wangaratta) Camera on ground, 12 seconds delay.
Took the bike on the train for transport around Albury (no extra charge for a bike).

*Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (6th January 2015)
Old 6th January 2015

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts
Re: Move Over Cadell Evans!

Taking a bike on the train, what a sensible idea. Wonder how long it will take to catch on here

John

PS Even with the train's help you might struggle to get there faster than "Cuddles"
Old 6th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Taking a bike on the train, what a sensible idea. Wonder how long it will take to catch on here John
Hi John - Biking has really taken off here, it's encouraged as a health and environmental issue, hence most major towns and cities have dedicated cycling lanes and free public transport for bicycles. It's great to be able to jump on a train with your bike in the guard's van and explore other towns hundreds of kilometres away.

Quote:
PS Even with the train's help you might struggle to get there faster than "Cuddles"
I don't doubt it ... and btw, his official profile lists his weight as identical to mine, 68kg ... so I'm in the right league!

Old 6th January 2015

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Hi John - Biking has really taken off here, it's encouraged as a health and environmental issue, hence most major towns and cities have dedicated cycling lanes and free public transport for bicycles. It's great to be able to jump on a train with your bike in the guard's van and explore other towns hundreds of kilometres away.
It used to be easy here. On most long-distance trains you could usually just turn up and shove the bike in the luggage van, or on popular routes you could book. But gradually trains have been replaced with smaller and smaller units, which is certainly more efficient from the point of view of moving passengers around. Unfortunately fringe benefits like being able to take bikes have reduced greatly as a result - and even finding space for normal luggage is often a challenge.

On many services it is still possible to book a bike space, sometimes without charge. But it is very inflexible and for any journey involving more than one train it can get prohibitively difficult. It's a shame - I understand the primary economic case but the added benefits which we have lost represent a fair bit of lost value.

John
Old 6th January 2015

Re: Move Over Cadel Evans!

Well said John and given the population density I can appreciate the complexities your railways would face in trying to provide free space for bicycles. I daresay that in time our transport authorities will face the same problems and the free bike rides will have to go.

Old 6th January 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

That's a very well executed selfie, and more. I like the receding patterns of yellow gantry supports, the green beams etc.

on flickr
Old 6th January 2015

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Is it still mandatory to wear helmets when cycling in Australia?
Every so often there are calls to do this by uninformed people here in the UK. If this every happened we could kiss goodbye to any great increase in cycling here. For the record, I am a keen cyclist regularly doing 150 to 200 miles a week (mostly commuting to and from work) and I wear a helmet by choice and always have.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th January 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Looks like you had to cycle the length of the platform, Mark!! You certainly tone with the station metalwork. Camouflage, perhaps?

Nice shot.
Old 6th January 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
It used to be easy here. On most long-distance trains you could usually just turn up and shove the bike in the luggage van, or on popular routes you could book. But gradually trains have been replaced with smaller and smaller units, which is certainly more efficient from the point of view of moving passengers around. Unfortunately fringe benefits like being able to take bikes have reduced greatly as a result - and even finding space for normal luggage is often a challenge.

On many services it is still possible to book a bike space, sometimes without charge. But it is very inflexible and for any journey involving more than one train it can get prohibitively difficult. It's a shame - I understand the primary economic case but the added benefits which we have lost represent a fair bit of lost value.

John
Hi there John!

When my car isn't available for my daily commute (normally when my friend from work is servicing it) I use my bike and the train instead. Merseyrail are remarkably bike friendly outside of rush hour - because I am travelling before 0730hrs or after 2100hrs there is no need to book, just roll up and put your bike on the train. You do have to be lucky to get the one particular seat per carriage that you can park your bike next too, but to be honest I just as often prefer to stand with my bike (Even at 40 I still enjoy "surfing" the train as much as any child! Inside the train I might add - outside is definitely a no-no.)

Mark - You certainly seem to be taking to this biking malarkey - you may even shame me into getting my bike out for pleasure soon at this rate, although you do seem to be getting better weather for cycling at the moment! It is certainly one way of going green!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 6th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
That's a very well executed selfie, and more. I like the receding patterns of yellow gantry supports, the green beams etc.
Thanks Steve - I travelled up to Albury by train to Pushys BIKE Warehouse that is directly opposite the station (seen in some of the linked Facebook images).
Built in 1882 Albury Railway Station is a magnificent building. From my archives, 2006 - (Nikon D70s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Mark - You certainly seem to be taking to this biking malarkey - you may even shame me into getting my bike out for pleasure soon at this rate, although you do seem to be getting better weather for cycling at the moment! It is certainly one way of going green! Cheers, Ralph.
I am really enjoying the insights into how it is for UK cyclists that you and others are providing, Ralph. And yes, after 55 years or so I have taken to this cycling caper bigtime again. I was twenty five when I got my first car and the bike was forgotten. Now pushing eighty I'm back on the saddle to stay fit and by joining a group I now have a much needed social life that has been lacking over the past 6 years due to a certain family commitment. Thanks Ralph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Looks like you had to cycle the length of the platform, Mark!! You certainly tone with the station metalwork. Camouflage, perhaps? Nice shot.
Well yes, as it happened I did cycle the length of the platform to the baggage car near the front of the train. Albury on the NSW/VIC border boasts the second longest platform in Australia, I think. Thanks Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Is it still mandatory to wear helmets when cycling in Australia? Every so often there are calls to do this by uninformed people here in the UK. If this every happened we could kiss goodbye to any great increase in cycling here. For the record, I am a keen cyclist regularly doing 150 to 200 miles a week (mostly commuting to and from work) and I wear a helmet by choice and always have.
It was not always mandatory for cyclists to wear a helmet but it is now - when I was a kid it was not so. But motor cyclists world wide must, and like seat belts in cars they do save lives and serious head injuries in the event of a crash. I did not realise that in the UK it is optional. Personally, I doubt that it would kiss goodbye to any great increase in cycling if it were otherwise, indeed it might just have the opposite effect.

Old 6th January 2015

Liked 583 Times in 259 Posts

Hi Mark,

Spotting your Cannondale kit, how about some ex-Cannondale rider Peter Sagan style tricks for the next selfie! �� looks great riding weather.
Old 6th January 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

But motor cyclists world wide must, and like seat belts in cars they do save lives and serious head injuries in the event of a crash. [/QUOTE]

They are supposed to wear them in Greece...but it's amazing how many don't! I remember about 10 years ago seeing an elderly guy on an old Honda 90 moped in Athens, with no crash hat, a mobile clamped to one ear, and he rode it through about 4 sets of traffic lights like that! How he stayed upright, I don't know. But suffice it to say that all over Greece you see lots of mini-shrines a the side of the road. We were told that they are for people who survived accidents - mainly motor cyclists - to give thanks to the saint that they think saved them. Crash hats, it seems, have nothing to do with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
pandora (7th January 2015)
Old 7th January 2015

Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,028 Posts
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,124 Posts

Mark, are you telling Cadel Evans to move over to let you on the train. I'm sure he would & ride off on his bike while you ride the rails. It was a charming pose anyhow.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 7th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Mark, are you telling Cadel Evans to move over to let you on the train. I'm sure he would & ride off on his bike while you ride the rails. It was a charming pose anyhow.
I rode with the group today in 38'C heat, Ross - a 45km circuit in 3.2 hours, it nearly killed me!
On this occasion no pics to show for the trip - there was one opportunity that I missed. Next time.

Thanks for looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
But motor cyclists world wide must, and like seat belts in cars they do save lives and serious head injuries in the event of a crash. They are supposed to wear them in Greece...but it's amazing how many don't! I remember about 10 years ago seeing an elderly guy on an old Honda 90 moped in Athens, with no crash hat, a mobile clamped to one ear, and he rode it through about 4 sets of traffic lights like that! How he stayed upright, I don't know. But suffice it to say that all over Greece you see lots of mini-shrines a the side of the road. We were told that they are for people who survived accidents - mainly motor cyclists - to give thanks to the saint that they think saved them. Crash hats, it seems, have nothing to do with it.
That guys name wasn't Zorba by any chance, Keith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
Hi Mark,Spotting your Cannondale kit, how about some ex-Cannondale rider Peter Sagan style tricks for the next selfie! �� looks great riding weather.
I'm working on it Amanda - at least I've got the right jersey and gear!

Old 7th January 2015

Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,028 Posts
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I rode with the group today in 38'C heat, Ross - a 45km circuit in 3.2 hours, it nearly killed me!
On this occasion no pics to show for the trip - there was one opportunity that I missed. Next time.
Never mind about no pics. I believe you though thousands wouldn't. I let my wife & daughter go to the zoo without me today & it got a bit warm but not as hot as your ride & I wasn't unhappy I missed out on the crowds & heat & all the walking. I might go when it's cooler in a few months, but the dinosaur display won't be there then.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).