Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 8th August 2014

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts
Simple really

The Middle East
No doubt you will find this invaluable.
A number of people are confused by what is going on in the Middle East?
Let me explain.
We support the Iraqi government in the fight against ISIS.
We donít like ISIS, but ISIS is supported by Saudi Arabia who we do like.
We donít like Assad in Syria and we support the fight against him, but ISIS is also fighting against him.
We donít like Iran, but Iran supports the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIS.
So some of our friends support our enemies.
Some enemies are now our friends and some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies, who we want to lose.
We don't, however want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.
If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they could be replaced by people we like even less.
And all this was started by us invading a country to drive out terrorists; who were not actually there until we went in to drive them out.
It's quite simple, really.
Do you understand now?
I hope that clears everything up for you. I know it did for me.
Chevvyf1 (9th August 2014), Imageryone (10th August 2014), Smallcreep (9th August 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (9th August 2014), Grumpy Hec (9th August 2014), Imageryone (10th August 2014), Internaut (8th August 2014), macmcgill (9th August 2014), OM USer (11th August 2014), Wee man (10th August 2014)
Old 8th August 2014

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts
Re: Simple really

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
The Middle East
No doubt you will find this invaluable.
A number of people are confused by what is going on in the Middle East?
Let me explain.
We support the Iraqi government in the fight against ISIS.
We don’t like ISIS, but ISIS is supported by Saudi Arabia who we do like.
We don’t like Assad in Syria and we support the fight against him, but ISIS is also fighting against him.
We don’t like Iran, but Iran supports the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIS.
So some of our friends support our enemies.
Some enemies are now our friends and some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies, who we want to lose.
We don't, however want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.
If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they could be replaced by people we like even less.
And all this was started by us invading a country to drive out terrorists; who were not actually there until we went in to drive them out.
It's quite simple, really.
Do you understand now?
I hope that clears everything up for you. I know it did for me.
I think that sums it up as well as any other explanation I have heard.

Saddam Hussein was a despot who murdered his own people, but at least there was some kind of status quo in the region whilst he was in control.

There was an interesting comment on the BBC news a few days ago, suggesting that whilst Israel wants to defeat and disarm Hamas, they don't want to crush them entirely. The reason given was that Hamas is a known quantity which Israel can negotiate with, and without Hamas there is a danger that ISIS could take over Gaza.

Let us also remember that the West armed and supported Al-Qaeda for its own reasons, clearly not expecting them to do any of their dirty work on American or European soil.

What goes around comes around. Or as my old dad used to say, "if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined!"

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 8th August 2014

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

All we need to understand is that until humans learn how to truly respect other humans (and the planet on which we live), then chaos will rule. The older I get the more crazy the world seems.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 9th August 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

That's as good an explanation as you'll see.

It's just a total complicated mess with people doing horrible things to each other for reasons I don't and I fear never will understand. The reality is that western culture and mindsets are so very different to those areas that we can't comprehend why it's happening. For that reason we should be very, very careful how or if we get involved as far reaching mistakes are so easily and unwittingly made.

It is so desperately awful.

Hec
Old 9th August 2014

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

My brain hurts!

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 9th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
That's as good an explanation as you'll see.

It's just a total complicated mess with people doing horrible things to each other for reasons I don't and I fear never will understand. The reality is that western culture and mindsets are so very different to those areas that we can't comprehend why it's happening. For that reason we should be very, very careful how or if we get involved as far reaching mistakes are so easily and unwittingly made.

It is so desperately awful.

Hec
It is truly horrendous at present.

What really beggars belief is that ISIS were reported to have started one of their more horrific missions (to cleanse a city of Christians) after Friday morning prayers. What on earth do these people pray about?

I cannot help but feel that the ease and low cost of long distance air transport has made things worse all round. Things were much simpler when folk didn't travel around as much, and didn't interfere in other peoples lives.

I suppose travel has made Europe a safer and much more peaceful place in recent times, but the culture gap between 'the West' and the 'Middle East' (with parts of Africa and Asia) has become so wide that some sort of conflict seems difficult to avoid.

I also wonder whatever happened to our Middle East Peace Envoy?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th August 2014

Thanked 1,119 Times in 701 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I also wonder whatever happened to our Middle East Peace Envoy?
He's probably ensconced in a penthouse somewhere working on a 'KERCHING' multi-million $ speech. Either that, or hard at work on Plan ZZZZZ.

My thoughts over the last year or so is that he has been extremely conspicuous by his absence... not a cheep from the peep in two years?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 10th August 2014

Thanked 1,119 Times in 701 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Having read through the various posts and, after giving due consideration to all of the above, I'm of the opinion that, If we hang all the politicians, stone to death all religious leaders, drown all the bankers and shoot all the generals, we could have a peaceful world.. for a few days.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 10th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Having read through the various posts and, after giving due consideration to all of the above, I'm of the opinion that, If we hang all the politicians, stone to death all religious leaders, drown all the bankers and shoot all the generals, we could have a peaceful world.. for a few days.
...... until the next batch of politicians, bankers and generals elect themselves.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (10th August 2014)
Old 10th August 2014

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I believe a corporal Schicklgruber tried that in the 30s and 40s, that went well
BTW that was his mother's name his father was not recorded - so he really was a ba***rd.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 10th August 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

The World is indeed a crazy place. Much of the madness seems to spring from one group believing that their fictitious deity is superior to all other fictitious deities and that this non-issue is actually worth fighting about. Of course, the often made excuse that they are acting in the name of a supreme being is very convenient because, of course, nobody can check the validity of that with an alleged phenomenon that has never been seen, met or experienced and in all reasonable probability does not exist.

As for our Middle East Peace Envoy, giving him the job was akin to appointing a serial arsonist as a fire marshall.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Adagio (10th August 2014), Grumpy Hec (10th August 2014)
Old 10th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The World is indeed a crazy place. Much of the madness seems to spring from one group believing that their fictitious deity is superior to all other fictitious deities and that this non-issue is actually worth fighting about. Of course, the often made excuse that they are acting in the name of a supreme being is very convenient because, of course, nobody can check the validity of that with an alleged phenomenon that has never been seen, met or experienced and in all reasonable probability does not exist.

As for our Middle East Peace Envoy, giving him the job was akin to appointing a serial arsonist as a fire marshall.
Leave my deity alone!

The fact is that none of these people are acting in the name of any supreme deity, as killing and maiming is not what deities teach their followers to do.

As so often in the past it is their own warped and brainwashed interpretation of what they have been told their deity wants them to do. The danger is that nobody ever dares to challenge the teachings of the so called 'Preachers of Hate', and before we know it a new generation of extremists is hatched.

I suspect that if the Archbishop of Canterbury or Cardinal Vincent Nichols were to advocate the stoning of adulterous women or dissenters they would be very swiftly taken away and probably Sectioned, but that never seems to happen in those volatile parts of the world that we are discussing.

(I would agree that some of the OT texts do indeed talk of stoning and human sacrifice, but it is generally accepted that these were written about 4,000 years ago, since when our interpretations have changed significantly.)

Conversely, one could also argue that it is precisely the lack of belief in a supreme deity (and their Final Judgements), and our failure to follow The Commandments that has led us into this mess.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
sapper (10th August 2014), snaarman (10th August 2014), Zuiko (10th August 2014)
Old 10th August 2014

Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,027 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

But the strangest bit is all of these people believe they all worship the same diety but in slightly differing ways.
Each also believe killing is wrong but that they do it in the name of their God so it is all in order.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Zuiko (10th August 2014)
Old 10th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
But the strangest bit is all of these people believe they all worship the same diety but in slightly differing ways.
Each also believe killing is wrong but that they do it in the name of their God so it is all in order.
But that is just the point - the people we are discussing do not believe that killing is wrong! Indeed, some (such as the 911 and 7/7 terrorists) had the mistaken idea that martyring themselves in the killing of infidels would result in them going to heaven and spending eternity with twenty-one virgins.

I wouldn't say that was 'slightly' different.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (10th August 2014)
Old 10th August 2014

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

I must say that I have never understood the 21 virgin line.
Islam frowns on fornication, so what would they do with them?