Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 18th November 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rokkor and Zuiko.

A few months ago I got a Minolta rokkor 55mm f1.7 and it instantly became my most used lens, so much so that if I use another lens I refit the 55mm before putting my camera away.

I had intended to get an Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8 but at the time I was looking there didn't seem to be any about and the Minolta plus an adapter cropped up at a ridiculously low price and I really couldn't resist. I decided to add a 135mm f3.5 and a 28mm f2.8 to my little collection but at the time I couldn't find any Minolta's but I did find the Zuiko set I'd always wanted... 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 and 135mm f3.5 so I snapped them up only to spot a Minolta 28mm f2.8 and 135mm f3.5 before the Zuiko's arrived so I bought them too.

So, I ended up with both Rokkor and Zuiko 28, 50 and 135mm lenses but thankfully there are slight differences that make keeping all the lenses justifiable.

I originally wanted the Zuiko's because I think they look gorgeous but most of the time I actually prefer the Rokkors as they have additional aperture settings and the aperture rings are nicer to operate, IMVHO, the Zuiko lenses aperture rings being a bit clunky but on the plus side the Zuiko aperture and focus rings are more positive and are less likely to be moved accidentally. The Zuiko 50mm has the advantage of focusing closer than the Rokkor 55mm but the Rokkor can render background bokeh larger and although this is very subjective I prefer the look that gives. The Zuiko's will also work on my 5D via a simple metal adapter, and they seem to work very well on it too, wheras the Rokkors need an adapter with an a glass element.

I am surprised at the difference in field of view between the Rokkor 55mm and the Zuiko 50mm. I'm used to a couple of mm making a difference at the wide end but the difference between 50 and 55mm did surprise me.

Here's a couple of pictures...

And just to prove I don't use these old cheap lenses just because I'm tight...

All of these lenses are simply a joy to use
Old 19th November 2012
mike_j

Re: Rokkor and Zuiko.

If you like those Rokkors have a look at the M-Rokkors, 28mm f2.8, 40mm f2 and 90mm f4. Made by Minolta for the Minolta CLE. They are effectively Leica CL lenses, built to Leica standard and very small and compact, much smaller than your SLR lenses.

Here is my 90mm f4 which worked well on the Panasonic G1 and hopefully will be even better with the stabilsed OM-D.

Old 19th November 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

They sound good but to be honest I didn't do an awful lot of research before buying so maybe I missed out on a few nice things, like those.

I'm very happy with the performance of all of my manual lenses although faster apertures on the 28 and 135mm's would be nice and it'd be nice to have a wide angle lens but of course they don't really exist in that sort of vintage, 24 or 28mm is about it. I might add a macro of some sort to my little collection, if I can find one.

One thing I forgot to include in my OP is that the Rokkor 55mm is a little susceptible to flare, I suppose the coatings aren't up to modern standards, but a hood helps enormously and I usually use the hood from my 25mm Voigtlander.
Old 19th November 2012

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts

I can't really comment on those lenses but the MC Rokkor 58mm f1.2 that i use is a wonderful lens. While maintaing all the detail it is phenomenally kind to skin with portraits, and the bokeh is creamy. And looks wise it compliments the OMD very well even with the rather large adapter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 20th November 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The 55mm f1.7 seems to take a nice portrait too. My life wouldn't be worth living if I posted a shot of my GF but here's a 100% crop which preserves her anonymity

It seems to be sharp and the bokeh is nice when it gets the chance to be.

Old 20th November 2012
mike_j

This is from the M-Rokkor 90.
Sorry it's only a mannequin - shot from a club studio session last night.

Old 20th November 2012

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

That looks good... and the mannequin wont complain that you've posted her picture on the net

I have the 135mm f3.5's but I am tempted to add a macro and a wide angle to my little set.
Old 20th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,695 Times in 769 Posts

I used to have a Minolta SRT-101 and later an XE-1 (the latter was one of the products of the old Leica/Minolta collaboration from the late 1970s). I always like the colour of the coating on Rokkor lenses and felt the colour reproduction was nicer than Nikkors. It's a shame Minolta dropped the 'Rokkor' brand as I think it's a great one.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 20th November 2012

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

So if you replaced your Nikon lenses with Minolta ones, could you be said to have dropped your Nikkors?

Sorry, I'll get my coat ... John
Old 21st November 2012

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts

Badum tish.

Well he's not off his rokkor.

(for that i must apologise )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/