Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 6th March 2012
Four Thirds User

Arrow Olympus OM-D E-M5 base-ISO samples as requested

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

After an implied request for me to produce some low ISO samples from the new E-M5, I have managed do this, although under far from ideal conditions.

More...
Old 7th March 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 base-ISO samples as requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Thirds User View Post
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

After an implied request for me to produce some low ISO samples from the new E-M5, I have managed do this, although under far from ideal conditions.

More...
I'd be interested in any feedback - there are back to back samples between an E-P3 and E-M5. Find out how well base ISO images can withstand shadow boosts and retain highlights

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 8th March 2012

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts

The difference is enormous when boosting shadow areas - E-P3 goes horribly blotchy and lacks detail. The E-M5 shows very little noise until extreme boosting, and even then, the noise is even and details are preserved. This, more the ISO performance over 3200, is really important to me and very impressive. I hope to see this sensor or better in an E-7 soon! If Olympus could get a new AF module sorted out (one that works in low light and has proper 3D tracking and predictive AF), the package would be a killer.

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)
Old 8th March 2012

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_om View Post
The difference is enormous when boosting shadow areas - E-P3 goes horribly blotchy and lacks detail. The E-M5 shows very little noise until extreme boosting, and even then, the noise is even and details are preserved. This, more the ISO performance over 3200, is really important to me and very impressive. I hope to see this sensor or better in an E-7 soon! If Olympus could get a new AF module sorted out (one that works in low light and has proper 3D tracking and predictive AF), the package would be a killer.

Andy
Yeah, Olympus have pretty much killed sales of the E-5 with the introduction of the E-M5. I'll wait for signs of an E-6/7 for a while but I think an E-M5 is in my future.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 9th March 2012

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi I was very surprised at how good it it pulling back shadow detail with no real noise, also I downloaded some high iso raw files and found them very good even at 12,800 iso, I have corel paintshop pro x4 and it loaded the raw files no problem I pixel peeped then at 16x12 size after running them through corel and no noise and reasonable detail that sharppened up to be acceptable at 16x12 size.

Dave