Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30th May 2011
Olympusgirl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
What did I do wrong?

Hi

I put up a for sale thread on here for my iphone4 but it's gone. Just wondering what I did wrong?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30th May 2011
meach meach is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Posts: 652
Thanks: 125
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: What did I do wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympusgirl View Post
Hi

I put up a for sale thread on here for my iphone4 but it's gone. Just wondering what I did wrong?

Thanks
It certainly appeared - I read it. But you're quite right - it's gone now
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30th May 2011
Olympusgirl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What did I do wrong?

Thanks
Just been told it's because it's a camera phone so not appropriate and I haven't contributed to the forum enough. Didnt mean to break any rules but my last sale went so smoothly I thought would be a nice place to sell.

As long as I know though I'll sell elsewhere

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30th May 2011
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,060
Thanks: 1,984
Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Likes: 3,383
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: What did I do wrong?

Hi Olympusgirl,

I hope my PM made sense. I can appreciate that you may feel disappointed and sometimes it is difficult for us to acahieve the right balance on the forum, but I felt that in this case it was not really appropriate. I hope you continue to participate and benefit from the many advantages this forum has to offer in addition to the "For Sale" section and that we can help you improve your photography.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30th May 2011
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,060
Thanks: 1,984
Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Likes: 3,383
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: What did I do wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I didn't see this Members original post so don't know if it was in the For sale or wanted small ads section or not. I have however noticed a few Members comment that they can't send PM's as they haven't made enough posts etc. and now it seems there is a restriction on posting items for sale until sufficient posts have been made by an individual Member.

I have looked in the Terms And Conditions and other places on the site and can find no mention of these Forum Rules relating to PM's or For Sale Items. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to finding them ?

Thanks,
John
Hi John,

There are no hard and fast rules regarding items for sale, although we do not encourage members joining just to sell kit, particularly non Olympus items and those with only a tenuous connection to photography. There is a site called ebay for that sort of thing. We have, however, recently introduced the requirement for at least 6 posts before before links can be posted, but this is more specifically to deter spammers. It was announced in this thread: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14701

There is no suggestion of spamming in this case but I did not feel comfortable with the situation and made the decision to delete the thread in question. I sent a PM to the thread starter explaining my reasoning.

I know of one other Four Thirds site, based in America, where you have to upgrade to paying membership in order to advertize items for sale. In the UK there is a large general photography forum (which sometimes gets a mention here) which has a requirement for 100 posts plus a minimum term of membership before participation is allowed in the for sale section. I think we are quite relaxed in comparison, but it does mean that the mods on occassion have to make arbitrary decisions in the best interests of the forum and it's members. Final policy decision, of course, rests with Ian.

I hope this clarifies the situation, but please let me know if further explanation is required.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31st May 2011
Grumpy Hec's Avatar
Grumpy Hec Grumpy Hec is offline
Grumpy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mersea Island, Essex
Posts: 2,464
Thanks: 230
Thanked 320 Times in 253 Posts
Likes: 614
Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: What did I do wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi John,

There are no hard and fast rules regarding items for sale, although we do not encourage members joining just to sell kit, particularly non Olympus items and those with only a tenuous connection to photography. There is a site called ebay for that sort of thing. We have, however, recently introduced the requirement for at least 6 posts before before links can be posted, but this is more specifically to deter spammers. It was announced in this thread: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14701

There is no suggestion of spamming in this case but I did not feel comfortable with the situation and made the decision to delete the thread in question. I sent a PM to the thread starter explaining my reasoning.

I know of one other Four Thirds site, based in America, where you have to upgrade to paying membership in order to advertize items for sale. In the UK there is a large general photography forum (which sometimes gets a mention here) which has a requirement for 100 posts plus a minimum term of membership before participation is allowed in the for sale section. I think we are quite relaxed in comparison, but it does mean that the mods on occassion have to make arbitrary decisions in the best interests of the forum and it's members. Final policy decision, of course, rests with Ian.

I hope this clarifies the situation, but please let me know if further explanation is required.
This all seems entiurely sensible to me and for all the right reasons. A good balance in my view.

Hec
__________________
I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31st May 2011
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,545
Thanks: 385
Thanked 547 Times in 462 Posts
Likes: 3,311
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,504 Posts
Re: What did I do wrong?

The requirement for 50 (I think) posts before advertising items for sale is a longstanding one, and makes good sense.

Presumably there is no objection to selling (or more likely buying even more ) OM film camera equipment here?

My wife did ask me how many cameras I had recently, but I couldn't really answer her. Anyhow, does a camera have to have a lens attached to be called a camera, or do bodies count on thier own?
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31st May 2011
StephenL's Avatar
StephenL StephenL is offline
Senior Pixelmonger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 9,863
Thanks: 984
Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Likes: 658
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: What did I do wrong?

If they are all of just one make, that counts as one camera (in my book!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
My wife did ask me how many cameras I had recently, but I couldn't really answer her. Anyhow, does a camera have to have a lens attached to be called a camera, or do bodies count on thier own?
__________________
Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31st May 2011
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,957
Thanks: 2,067
Thanked 1,315 Times in 1,028 Posts
Likes: 5,363
Liked 2,081 Times in 1,126 Posts
Re: What did I do wrong?

Hi Olympusgirl. I see you have an E510 & am looking forward to seeing your photos & more of your posts in the threads. This is a friendly, helpful site & the tighter measures are only protecting what we enjoy here. In Australia, I am a member of 2 forums & one has tighter controls than here & the other has very tight controls with limits etc which are a bit too much. I love this site for what it offers, the members & also because it's based on the camera system I enjoy using (it gets a little tiresome defending my Olympus gear on the other forums sometimes).

I believe Zuiko's (John) actions were appropriate for the above item & I hope you can appreciate that too.

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I.S. goes wrong? snaarman Foto Fair 32 6th April 2011 04:15 AM
Help please whats wrong Phill Telephoto 3 4th April 2011 10:53 PM
please tell me what I'm doing wrong! alexs Looking for improvement 17 15th December 2010 12:58 PM
Think they might have got the price wrong Hiflyman For sale or wanted small ads 31 2nd May 2009 05:48 PM
I wet myself to prove Ian wrong art frames Foto Fair 4 9th December 2007 10:27 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger