Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Photography course information...

Is this accurate? To me it seems odd that one of the pioneers of a revolution in cameras are thought of so badly by so called professionals.

From here https://www.videoschoolonline.com/mi...thirds-camera/

Quote:
Hereís the thing, a micro is technically a mirrorless. Itís a trick question in a way, but a mirrorless camera is not necessarily a micro 4/3. It all has to do with the sensor size. Mirrorless cameras can have full frame sensors, crop sensors or micro four thirds sensors. The MFT sensors are capable of shooting amazing photos, but many would say theyíre still behind the APS-C and Full Format ones in terms of quality.

The autofocusing systems however, are a huge issue. While the new 4/3 cameras are promising to have better autofocus it still canít beat a mirrorless DSLR or a regular one. If youíre not great at manual focusing or you need to snap quickly you may be disappointed. In fact, for casual photographers who prefer the autofocus option this should be a no-brainer, especially at the cost when you may get better focus on a point and shoot if you donít want to carry a DSLR. Simply put, itís too soft for a serious photographer.
and

Quote:
Another issue is post production. The dynamic range on a full frame or crop frame DSLR or mirrorless is greater than on a 4/3, and while that is something which the everyday enthusiast probably wonít too worried about, if I have to spend an extra 10 minutes in Photoshop fixing something that could have been done right in camera Iím not going to be impressed.

Thereís also a big quality vs quantity issue. The quantity of lenses and attachments just isnít there yet in the MFT market and the quality of the build just isnít up to the bulk of a DSLR. I know a metal housed DSLR can take a good beating, especially if itís been weatherproofed. Looking at any micro 4/3 camera, especially with a giant lens attached, looks like an accident waiting to happen. An expensive accident. As far as the lenses go, whether you choose mirrorless or standard DSLRs have a huge array of lenses and attachments. If youíre a gadget and gizmo photographer youíll be very limited Ė thereís not even a good telephoto lens available yet and no wide angle lenses at all which is extremely limiting for the micro 4/3.
The images I have seen from others seem to stack up well against all other systems... I personally dont see any difference in build quality difference between my Nikon D800 and my Oly E-M10MarkII, I do however see a small difference in focus speed, but not enough for me to say its an issue! In fact these days I leave the Nikon and its "posh" glass at home more often and grab the Oly.

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 22nd May 2019
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Photography course information...

If youíre a gadget and gizmo photographer youíll be very limited Ė thereís not even a good telephoto lens available yet and no wide angle lenses at all which is extremely limiting for the micro 4/3.

Extraordinary! When does this date from?

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
If youíre a gadget and gizmo photographer youíll be very limited Ė thereís not even a good telephoto lens available yet and no wide angle lenses at all which is extremely limiting for the micro 4/3.

Extraordinary! When does this date from?
As it is talking about
Quote:
Take the Sony Ar7-III. This is at the time of this post, one of the newest in full frame mirrorless tech
in the same post I imagine its a couple of years old at most...

Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 475 Times in 249 Posts

I reckon this is laziness.

Wouldn't mind betting that rather than rewriting, they have just added new bits on to update it without realizing just how out of date the original info actually is.

Just my take on it
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 437 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
While the new 4/3 cameras are promising to have better autofocus it still canít beat a mirrorless DSLR or a regular one.
What's a mirrorless DSLR?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (23rd May 2019), OM USer (22nd May 2019)
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
I reckon this is laziness.

Wouldn't mind betting that rather than rewriting, they have just added new bits on to update it without realizing just how out of date the original info actually is.

Just my take on it
But surely not 7 years out of date... I left Olympus originally when they stopped producing 4/3rds I was angry that I had invested into a system that had been retired after such a short time. Sold all my kit and moved to Nikon in 2012... (only coming back when I needed a quality lightweight overseas camera when the airlines decided to limit hand luggage weight!)

And even in 2012 I thought there was zooms and wide angle stuff and plenty of accessories!

Old 23rd May 2019

Liked 2,272 Times in 1,501 Posts

I would say the author is talking out of his derriere!

Of course the Four Thirds and Ķ43 systems have their limitations, but to say "thereís not even a good telephoto lens available yet and no wide angle lenses at all" is total bullshit.

Zuiko Pro glass is some of the best there is IMHO.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd May 2019

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

Just read it... kinda speechless to be honest !
Naughty Nigel's got it spot on

Mark
Old 23rd May 2019
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

Sadly these types of opinions will continue

I have given up reading any, but Olympus DO need to do better at marketing IMO

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (23rd May 2019)
Old 23rd May 2019

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

A mirrorless DSLR?
Old 23rd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Sadly these types of opinions will continue

I have given up reading any, but Olympus DO need to do better at marketing IMO

Regards
Andy
Yes indeed. In truth there are very few bad products today, but what we buy, how much we pay and our perceptions of products are all down to clever marketing.

Just think about our perceptions of VW cars vs comparable Audi and Skoda models. We know there is very little difference between them, the engines and many other parts are shared yet we still perceive one brand as being better than others.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th May 2019

Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,296 Posts
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,109 Posts

Don't know why but I did read that video school article. Now I wish I hadn't definitely not a school article in my view it just full of opinion with back up facts few and far between. It is just written with such bias it's like an advert, probably sponsored by Sony! Not worth wasting any more time on in my view.
Old 24th May 2019

The sad part about this is, for the most part the course itself is good... its certainly kept me occupied while I have been off sick, and I feel I have benefited from the £12 I paid for the course... I think its just the anti olympus/panasonic bias and bs on this part of the course that has annoyed me....

Old 24th May 2019

Thinking about it, the bias in this course is not unusual, and I have certainly come across it elsewhere.

For example, there are distance learning courses for marine surveyors punctuated by week-long residential modules where the trainees can get hands-on experience. These courses are not cheap.

When the trainees go to their residential courses they are told you will need these instruments/tools to do your job, and it just so happens I have a supply here. The trainees will only be shown the equipment that the trainer wants to sell, and the prices will usually be higher than from other suppliers, so captive is the audience.

I am sure this situation is by no means unique.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing