Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Portrait 2

May I also ask for views on this portrait, please, too. Likewise shot using my studio lighting etc, converted to mono,cropped slightly, and little else.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: Portrait 2

The composition may not be very adventurous but I prefer this one. Nicely posed too, and the subject engages with the viewer. I'm not sure if it could be a little sharper but the overall effect is very nice.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Lighting is one of the main factors in portrature and has to be sympathetic to the subject or grossly set to produce the desired result.

The use of two, fairy balanced (low ratio), lights has provided a completely acceptable image.

One thing often missed by photographers is the effect glasses can have, both on the focus of the eyes and the way light is reflected off them.

Because the placement of the light on the subjects RHS is forward of him, there is a reflection in the RH side of his glasses. This and/or a difference in the glasses prescription, makes the RH eye look softer than the LH eye.

One of the main reasons we use Make Up Artists (MUAs) is to reduce the highlights on peoples faces. Careful use of soft-boxes and brollies can also reduce these by "flaring" the light away from being directly aimed at the person.

There are some distractions of lines in the background that could easily be dealt with, pre/post production.

I really like the look of the subject, and the intellect present in his eyes. Personally, I would go for a higher lighting ratio and ask the person questions that will get a variety of reactions and expressions.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Lighting is one of the main factors in portrature and has to be sympathetic to the subject or grossly set to produce the desired result.

The use of two, fairy balanced (low ratio), lights has provided a completely acceptable image.

One thing often missed by photographers is the effect glasses can have, both on the focus of the eyes and the way light is reflected off them.

Because the placement of the light on the subjects RHS is forward of him, there is a reflection in the RH side of his glasses. This and/or a difference in the glasses prescription, makes the RH eye look softer than the LH eye.

One of the main reasons we use Make Up Artists (MUAs) is to reduce the highlights on peoples faces. Careful use of soft-boxes and brollies can also reduce these by "flaring" the light away from being directly aimed at the person.

There are some distractions of lines in the background that could easily be dealt with, pre/post production.

I really like the look of the subject, and the intellect present in his eyes. Personally, I would go for a higher lighting ratio and ask the person questions that will get a variety of reactions and expressions.
Odd that the lines have appeared in it; I had taken them out in the original!

This subject is a long retired ex-university lecturer; conventional, outspoken, direct.

The lighting had to cope with a number of subjects (male and female, of differing heights) in a relatively short space of time; it was a quite a high ratio, but would have worked better if the LH light had been a bit lower, so as to light the sitter's R eye better. As it is, it has allowed a shadow from his specs across the eye, which I hadn't noticed at the time - always a problem with not much time to play with.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (1st February 2015)
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

I note the aperture is f9... little too much...drop back to f4
Old 2nd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
I note the aperture is f9... little too much...drop back to f4
Dictated by flash to subject distance. F8 is pretty normal for studio flashes. Given that the RH flash was on minimum power, the LH one had to be on half power to get sufficient lighting ratio.

And, Graham, LH flash used 24" silvered brolly, RH flash used a snoot, aimed towards back of head, to light hair line. I might have been better off with a white brolly on the L; however, with hindsight, I should have lowered the LH flash about 9 or 10 inches, to better illuminate the eye. A bit of PP may solve the LH eye issue. As this is posted, apart from crop and convert to BW, it's pretty much out of the camera.