Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

View Poll Results: What would you prefer
E-1 Style Grip with a Dedicated Single Battery 8 22.86%
E-3 Style Grip which uses the standard Camera Battery 27 77.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poll, 1x BLL1 or 2 BLM1's?

The E-1 grip used a different battery from the camera, a BLL1 rather than a BLM1. This meant if you wanted to fit the Grip you had to remove and store the camera battery before fitting the grip and you needed to have two different chargers. With the E-3 the grip uses standard BLM1 batteries so you could in theory use the cameras own battery and an additional spare or of course you could have two batteries for the grip in addition to the camera battery. You don't need a seperate charger but you can't charge two batteries at once and if you use the supplied BCM2 charge it'll take up to 10 hours to charge the two batteries required for the grip alone.

What would you prefer.

The E-1 style grip set-up or the E-3 grip set-up?
Old 1st December 2007
PeterD

Thumbs up Re: Poll, 1x BLL1 or 2 BLM1's?

I prefer the symplicity of one battery type. I already have 3 BLM1's and will purchase one more to ensure I always have two, fully charged, ready for swapping. Charging times would therefore be academic.

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 1st December 2007
beardedwombat

Re: Poll, 1x BLL1 or 2 BLM1's?

Because I am lucky enough to have an E-3 and E-510, I have two chargers so can charge two batteries at once. Five hours is still a ridiculous amount of time so does anyone know whether it is possible to get a cheap equivalent to the BCM-1 fast charger? I note there are some on Ebay with a 600mA output compared to the 400mA output on the BCM-2, is that the same as the output on a genuine BCM-1 and has anyone tried one?
Chris
Old 1st December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
Because I am lucky enough to have an E-3 and E-510, I have two chargers so can charge two batteries at once. Five hours is still a ridiculous amount of time so does anyone know whether it is possible to get a cheap equivalent to the BCM-1 fast charger? I note there are some on Ebay with a 600mA output compared to the 400mA output on the BCM-2, is that the same as the output on a genuine BCM-1 and has anyone tried one?
Chris
Chris

I purchased a charger and battery from a company last year called edesign and have been very pleased with them. Charger is rated at 600mA max and the battery is unmarked. The prices are very low compared to the badged products but neither has let me down over the year.

web address http://www.edsign.co.uk/. There seems to be a problem with the site today as it will not open up.

PeterD
Old 1st December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,700 Times in 769 Posts

It's worth noting that - as I understand it - you can resort to AAs in an emergency with the HLD-4 grip, which I think is a brilliant provision.

It would have been even better if they could have accommodated the one bigger battery that many of us already have. But let's just recall that there was a lot of criticism that Olympus didn't accommodate two BLM-1s with the E-1 grip, so Olympus has actually been listening.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st December 2007
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

I would definitely go for the single battery format option. I've got a 500 and a 510 and sharing batteries & chargers is a blessing

RE charge times I agree they are slow, but I've been using chargers and batteries from these guys ever since I got my 500 and they have proven reliable.

http://www.dc-battery.co.uk/product_...oducts_id/2249

With the combination mains/car charger and the excellent price of the batteries I just bought enough BLM (equivalents) to keep me going for a week without needing to recharge!

Also if you need to minimise weight the charger front plates are swappable allowing my to charge the wife's lumix batteries without needing to carry a full set of a second charger

Regards
Andy

Last edited by shenstone; 1st December 2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: my bad spelling
Old 1st December 2007
beardedwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Chris

I purchased a charger and battery from a company last year called edesign and have been very pleased with them. Charger is rated at 600mA max and the battery is unmarked. The prices are very low compared to the badged products but neither has let me down over the year.

web address http://www.edsign.co.uk/. There seems to be a problem with the site today as it will not open up.

PeterD
Thanks Peter, have you noticed any difference in charging time with the 600mA charger compared to the BCM-2? Incidentaly edesign.co.uk make wave machines!
Chris
Old 1st December 2007
PeterD

Talking Re: Poll, 1x BLL1 or 2 BLM1's?

Chris the charge time was 2-3 hours from a fully discharged state. The non badged batteries, I use, hold their charge as well as the badged batteries and this also goes for the discharge cycle when in a camera.

PeterD
Old 1st December 2007
beardedwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Chris the charge time was 2-3 hours from a fully discharged state. The non badged batteries, I use, hold their charge as well as the badged batteries and this also goes for the discharge cycle when in a camera.

PeterD
That's around half the time of the BCM-2, will have to get myself one of those!
Cheers
Chris