Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 11th June 2011

Liked 325 Times in 157 Posts
Re: Is my E3 faulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Have you carried out a firmware update?

Greg
I have Body 1.4 Lens 1.1 EC20 1.1.

John
Old 11th June 2011

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
Yes Dave I have a Hoya UV filter mainly to protect the lens.

John
Take it off and run the tests again.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Do you have a Rocket Blower or similar?
I've had some strange out of focus shots in the past like this and cured them by blowing a bit of fluff out of the AF sensor in the bottom of the camera body.
It is in the bottom of the throat, just behind the lens mount, below the mirror.
You may need to CAREFULLY lift the mirror a bit to get access.
N.B. I mean manually lift the mirror, don't use the camera's sensor cleaning option oryou risk blowing dust onto the SSWF.
Only use a hand powered blower, not a compressed air can or you may knock something out of alignment, and don't use a brush.
Also you didn't mention the AF mode you were using for the roof shots.
It may help if you could post images which retain the full exif info
I would not dare to tinker with such delicate systems other than what is recommended in the manual but I have considered getting a blower for such purposes.

I Used S-AF but I did take the following using MF taking the ring in and out and using a VA-1 with the x2 to get good focus. I do not know which bit is the AF sensor but considering the MF shot I do not think that it is that that is causing the problem but thanks for the thought.

Heres the shot taken @ 400mm 1/250 sec ISO 160 MF
Mirror lock F7 MF.jpg

Thanks
John
Old 11th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Take it off and run the tests again.
UV filter off just repeat the test with the EC20 @400mm 1/250 sec F7 ISO 200 S-AF no UV filter
Mirror lock F7 SAF no UV.jpg

UV filter off just repeat the test with the EC20 @400mm 1/320 sec F11 ISO 640 S-AF no UV filter

Mirror lock F11 SAF no UV.jpg

I do not think there is much difference between the two with / without filter so would rule out the filter as the problem what do you think? I ahd tried this before but was worth a re-test.

Thanks
John
Old 11th June 2011

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
I do not think there is much difference between the two with / without filter so would rule out the filter as the problem what do you think? I ahd tried this before but was worth a re-test.

Thanks
John
Neither shot without the filter has the sharpness I'd expect so I'm beginning to suspect the lens is at fault.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,458 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Is there anyone in Essex with a 50-200mm who John could meet up with to try another lens?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th June 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Doubling the focal length with an ec2.0 doesn't double the resolving power, just spreads the resolution over double the area. So if the combination is at/close to being limited by the resolving power of the lens without the teleconverter but at maximum focal length then adding a teleconverter will give a notable degredation compared to shooting the same scene and cropping.

So - on a nearby chimney, though far further than I'd expect a good result birding.

e-3, 50-200 iso 640 200% F7.1 F9 F11

e-3, 50-200 ec2.0 iso 640 100% F7 F9 F11

'hmm, nothing conclusive. The slight softness in the 50-200 alone can reasonably be put down to the upscaling. But at least we can assume that the resolving power of the 50-200 exceeds the E-3 sensor and that even with the optical compromise of the teleconverter the use of the ec2.0 shouldn't give a poorer quality image (of the same scene at the same distance).

Either would suggest that the OP should be getting better results, and that the combination should give better results.

So we have the following possibilities

1) General AF problem with his E-3
2) AF misalignment with the 50-200
3) AF misalignment the the 50-200 ec2.0 combination
4) Fault with the 50-200
5) Fault with ec2.0
4) poor technique (sorry)

Test shots with another lens might reveal a general AF problem, worth trying anyway at max aperture. Conditions 2-5 seem to have been covered, at least to the limits we can achieve, the results are inconclusive.

Poor technique, well the use of a tripod and remote removes most possibilities. The tripod support for the 50-200 (at least the mk1 non swd) is known as being a bit springy so maybe that's worth eliminating.

The first post suggests that the problem also manifests itself with the 12-60, so perhaps we should see some examples from that.

One other possibility (really at the remote end), is the dioptre adjustment on the viewfinder right for your eyesight?.

Unfortunately this is beginning to look like an equipment problem, my suspicion would be the camera.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
So we have the following possibilities

1) General AF problem with his E-3
2) AF misalignment with the 50-200
3) AF misalignment the the 50-200 ec2.0 combination
4) Fault with the 50-200
5) Fault with ec2.0
4) poor technique (sorry)

Test shots with another lens might reveal a general AF problem, worth trying anyway at max aperture. Conditions 2-5 seem to have been covered, at least to the limits we can achieve, the results are inconclusive.

Poor technique, well the use of a tripod and remote removes most possibilities. The tripod support for the 50-200 (at least the mk1 non swd) is known as being a bit springy so maybe that's worth eliminating.

The first post suggests that the problem also manifests itself with the 12-60, so perhaps we should see some examples from that.

One other possibility (really at the remote end), is the dioptre adjustment on the viewfinder right for your eyesight?.

Unfortunately this is beginning to look like an equipment problem, my suspicion would be the camera.

Nick
Thanks for your work Nick that’s a very useful comparison.

I do ware glasses but for this test as I was using the VA-1 I had adjusted the diopter setting to give sharpest focus through viewfinder. I have often wondered if this has any effect on AF but came to the conclusion it does not.

I took more shots using the 12-60mm SWD at 60mm and with EC20. As before using mirror lock and RM-1.

I used another roof about half distance from the other shots. I picked slopping roofs to see if it is a focusing point problem, but I do not think it is.

First shot 60mm 1/1000 sec F4 S-AF 200% crop

12-60 SWD mirror lock f4 SAF 200%.jpg

Second shot 60mm 1/250 F8 S-AF 200% crop

12-60 SWD mirror lock f8 SAF 200%.jpg

Third shot 60mm 1/160 sec F11 S-AF 200% crop

12-60 SWD mirror lock f11 SAF 200%.jpg

Fourth shot with EC20 120mm 1/250 sec F8 S-AF 100%

12-60 SWD mirror lock f8 SAF 100%.jpg

Fifth shot 120mm 1/320 sec F11 S-AF 100%

12-60 SWD mirror lock f11 SAF 100%.jpg

My own conclusion is that the problem is with the cmaera as both lenses have similar symptons and that the fault is related to the aperture. Anyone agree?

Not having a lot of confidence with Oly system support as they had already had the camera back and said no problem what should I do now. Try again but how do I describe the problem? Any suggestions?

All your help has been an education to me and I thank for that help. I am convinced there is a problem and that for a camera of this specification I should be getting much better shots.

John
Old 11th June 2011

Liked 178 Times in 118 Posts

John, I'm sure it's no consolation, but you're not the only one.
It seems mine might have gone up the spout too.
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15166

Ho Hum

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 13th June 2011

Well I emailed Oly "support" and got the following short reply.

"Well the f3.5 is not suitable for that shooting situation at all. F11 looks much better however if it is still not good enough set the camera Sharpness to +2."

In the mean time I have contacted some local camera clubs but their members seem to have Canon and Nikon cameras, maybe its time for me to change as well.

A disapointed with Olympus customer.

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 13th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,458 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Well I emailed Oly "support" and got the following short reply.

"Well the f3.5 is not suitable for that shooting situation at all. F11 looks much better however if it is still not good enough set the camera Sharpness to +2."

In the mean time I have contacted some local camera clubs but their members seem to have Canon and Nikon cameras, maybe its time for me to change as well.

A disapointed with Olympus customer.

John
Oh dear, is that it? Must say I'd have expected a bit more support than that!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau