Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 21st February 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
'Base lens' for Pen-F

I am sure quite a few of you have either pre-ordered (like me) the new Olympus Pen F or thinking seriously about it. If so, can I ask which particular lens, if any, you intend to make the 'base lens' ie the one that remains attached to the camera while not in use?

By the way Olympus are maketing it, I am guessing that a lot of people might opt for the Olympus 17mm f1.8 lens. A great choice but personally, I have decided to make the PanLeica 25mm f1.4 as the base lens for my Pen F when it arrives. I felt that since it has bit of Leica in it, the lens would an appropriate choice to be the base lens for a camera that has Rangefinder styling.
Old 21st February 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,579 Times in 910 Posts
Re: 'Base lens' for Pen-F

I too have the PL 25 f/1.4 and it is a very good lens. I think the 17mm is intended to add to the retro film era with a FoV of the much loved 35mm lens.

In the days of film I loved using a 40mm lens as it gave me just that tiny bit less FoV but was not as restrictive as the 50mm.

If Olympus were to ever make a 20mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 it would be my lens of choice for street style work.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 21st February 2016

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

I would have to say the Pana 20mm (apologize to the forum sponsors
Old 21st February 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Nah - you need the Voigtlander 17.5 f0.95.

I have one arriving tomorrow as it happens
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (21st February 2016)
Old 21st February 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Nah - you need the Voigtlander 17.5 f0.95.

I have one arriving tomorrow as it happens
I'm tempted myself, make a great street lens. If it was weather protected I'd jump at it. If you don't get on with it Paul, you could always offer it to me - at a heavily dicounted price, of course - and I could wrap a plastic bag around it for wet weather work!

It's been said many times already, what is sorely missed in the Olympus (and Panny) lens line up is a weather sealed fixed f/l lens in the 17 to 25mm range.

on flickr
Old 21st February 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Thanks for your inputs. Steve, I do have the Olympys 17mm f1.8 and think it is a great lens. I do a bit of street photography when I have time but am far from being anywhere near your class. At present I use the 17mm as the base lens for my OMD EM5 Mk II but might swap that when the Pen F arrives.

The problem with me is that when I became a diver in 2006, I practically gave up land photography as a hobby and learnt and did mainly underwater pictures in dive trips around the world. I am going to retire from diving in July 2016 after my last trip and revert to 'normal' photography as the main hobby.
Old 21st February 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
If you don't get on with it Paul, you could always offer it to me - at a heavily dicounted price, of course - and I could wrap a plastic bag around it for wet weather work!
I'll do that Steve - and knowing my propensity for churning gear, that's always a high possibility! I'll even throw in a free plastic bag!

Or if you can't wait, Ffordes have a deal on at the moment:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/12082813413061

It's the Mark I - but the only difference is that the Mark II has a mode where the aperture ring can be de-clicked. Ideal for video users, but not us stills shooters.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (21st February 2016), Ricoh (21st February 2016)
Old 21st February 2016

Loup Garou,
Choice of lens as a 'primary' fit comes down to your interests in photography. If you like street photography, I'd recommend a 35mm (in terms of 35mm FF) as it allows you to get fairly close to your subjects, and secondly the f/l offers greater DoF compared to the 50mm, again using 35mm FF as a reference point. For street work the MF voigt that Paul has ordered would be ideal, as it will allow shallow DoF if required, or setting at 'f8 and be there' and using the camera as a point and shoot. A lot of street photographers use this technique, including me. As an aside, I have a 35mm f2 and a 50 f1.4 that I use on my Leica, with the former I can set it to f8 and at the hyperfocal distance and never miss a shot, unless I'm trying to grab someone standing next to me! With the 50mm the DoF is wafer thin at close distances, and still quite demanding at f8. But, as with all tools, one lens doesn't fit all the photographer's needs but the 35mm (17.5mm u43) is a good all rounder. You could also consider the slightly wider Panny 15/f1.7, I have one and can confirm it's a stunning performer, produces super crisp results requiring the minimum of correction in PP. Another bonus of the Panny 15 is the aperture control mounted on the lens itself, great if the PEN F reads the lens for aperture setting (most Panny bodies do).

on flickr
Old 21st February 2016

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

I agree with Rioch I'll use my Voighlander usually set at hyper focal for general quick images but do like using it at f1.4. I was out last Friday using the 75mm on the EM1 in Spitalfields & found this also a good Street lens so guess my F will have both available as I have bought it for Street & back up for landscapes on the EM1
Old 21st February 2016

I would think seriously about grabbing one of these - if I could sell my Panasonic 7-14 /f4.

Anyone looking for a little used 7-14 in pristine condition, or willing to part ex their Voigt 17.5/f0.95.

Just think what you could do with the little beastie !

on flickr
Old 22nd February 2016

Well, my Voigtlander arrived. It's quite the business. I'm amazed that it's sharp enough to be usable right from f0.95. Not clinical sharp, but certainly good enough for portraits and such like. I'll post some shots later.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (22nd February 2016)
Old 22nd February 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Well, my Voigtlander arrived. It's quite the business. I'm amazed that it's sharp enough to be usable right from f0.95. Not clinical sharp, but certainly good enough for portraits and such like. I'll post some shots later.
Let me know when you're ready to sell, if the price is right we may agree a deal

on flickr