Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 29th November 2012

Liked 880 Times in 310 Posts
Panny GH3

This camera is looking to be a pretty capable tool, I kind of like that it's a little larger than the E-M5 but still not huge.
Looks well built too and with the same (rumoured) sensor as the E-M5 plus an impressive video capability it's shaping up very nicely.

Anybody tempted? Anybody with one on order?

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 29th November 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Panny GH3

No, and as a previous Lumix G owner I got a message about a great cashback offer for the new body and kits, but they're still too darn expensive for me. I wanted to take great photos, the OM-D does that for me, so I don't need to pay more for the great video. I got a good deal on the OM-D used so didn't have to pay 999 just for the body, if I was spending that much money I'd have waited for the GH3 to see which one felt better, but at almost half that cost I'm glad I got the OM-D
Old 29th November 2012

Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts

Well if you got a good deal on the OMD I can see why you plumped for the Oly. However, if you want to compare like for like then I think that the GH3 should be compared against the OMD with part 1 of its battery grip. Pricewise there is little difference between the GH3's lead in price and the OMD with grip (nor much size difference for that matter). And if the sensor is the same I think the choice really comes down to brand allegiance and/or feature set, even ignoring video capabilities.

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 29th November 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You're right - but I got a great price on the OM-D - I don't think I'd pay the full price for it, not that it's not worth it but its out of my price range at full price. I was very lucky.
Old 29th November 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

The Pannys don't have in-body stabilisation, but I will be the first to admit that their on-body controls are very well thought out. However, the G3 and GH2 which I owned both felt a little "creaky". Not as well-built as the E-M5.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 29th November 2012

Liked 880 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
Well if you got a good deal on the OMD I can see why you plumped for the Oly. However, if you want to compare like for like then I think that the GH3 should be compared against the OMD with part 1 of its battery grip. Pricewise there is little difference between the GH3's lead in price and the OMD with grip (nor much size difference for that matter). And if the sensor is the same I think the choice really comes down to brand allegiance and/or feature set, even ignoring video capabilities.
Agreed, without the half grip I find the EM-5 to just a touch on the small side, mind you still pretty useful if you want to go minimal and very light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
The Pannys don't have in-body stabilisation, but I will be the first to admit that their on-body controls are very well thought out. However, the G3 and GH2 which I owned both felt a little "creaky". Not as well-built as the E-M5.
Looks like the GH3 is a real tangible step up in build quality to the previous Lumix bodies. Much in the vein of the E-1, 3 and 5 by the looks of things.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr