Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 19th August 2010

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Pleeeaaase! Is it coming soon?

I'm in desperate need of a new body. That would be camera body...

All I can find about an expected E5 is some reall old rumours from 2009 and May this year.

Does anyone know when the E5 is to be launched and any features? Or will they launch it at Photokina next month?

My E3 needs some repairs, as I've evidently worn out (!) some of the functions. Live view is not working properly and a couple of other functions are dodgy. I've taken many thousands of photos with the E3, and apart from a screw-cap missing, you can't even see it's been used. But there seems to be something wrong with both the mirror and light measuring when using live view. However, I can still take pictures, just have to do things manually, but I'd really like to get a new body before the E3 goes on some well-deserved R&R. I need an extra camera body for work anyway, and don't want to get another E3. I'm hoping the upgrade will be even better for telephoto wildlife shots during fieldwork, so I don't have to switch between the 12-60 and the 50-200 all the time, as in a field-day I could take up to 2500 coastline documentary shots in a day...

Any news of the E5?

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 20th August 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: Pleeeaaase! Is it coming soon?

I know it is frustrating but with Photokina so close I really don't see Olympus releasing any details before then. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the E-5 will be revealed then.

There are plenty of rumours but in my view these only serve to confuse, worry or build up false expectations. I'm afraid we'll all just have to wait, although with all the damage the uncertainty is doing to the brand I cannot see why Olympus don't just issue a statement of intent RIGHT NOW. I know that would lessen the impact I'm sure they hope to make at Photokina but IMO the Olympus marketing department needs a swift kick up the **** and a reality check.

Let's just hope for good news when it finally comes.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I know it is frustrating but with Photokina so close I really don't see Olympus releasing any details before then. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the E-5 will be revealed then.

There are plenty of rumours but in my view these only serve to confuse, worry or build up false expectations. I'm afraid we'll all just have to wait, although with all the damage the uncertainty is doing to the brand I cannot see why Olympus don't just issue a statement of intent RIGHT NOW. I know that would lessen the impact I'm sure they hope to make at Photokina but IMO the Olympus marketing department needs a swift kick up the **** and a reality check.

Let's just hope for good news when it finally comes.
John - I suspect that Olympus think about their new body in much the same way as I think about my old one.

We both hope that at some unspecified time in the future it will be superb and the object of lust and envy. Whilst fearing that it may instead end up discontinued.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 20th August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
John - I suspect that Olympus think about their new body in much the same way as I think about my old one.

We both hope that at some unspecified time in the future it will be superb and the object of lust and envy. Whilst fearing that it may instead end up discontinued.

Nick
I can relate to that!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

There is lots of speculation about the next big Oly on DPReview's Oly SLR forum. But it is ONLY speculation. Olympus are very tight lipped.
It is good that our forum hasn't been awash with all that stuff (at least not yet............!)
Photokini is only a few weeks away now.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

E5? Well I watch and wait with interest - but 2500 shots per day

Clearly I should get out more!

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Maybe we should all be frequenting bars near Olympus offices hoping that an absent minded worker has left a production ready E5 on a table.

Then again, it might not work properly...

Nick
Old 20th August 2010

Snaarman,

The 2500 shots a day are during very specific fieldwork. I can console you that many of those images are not very well composed, and I have to trust the camera for sturdy light metering etc.

I work with oil spill response and planning, and environment. For that, we find that doing photographic inventories of the coastline, logistical and environmental parameters is a very useful tool. We photograph the coastline more or less continuously, working from a boat. The camera serves as a notebook, all photos are georeferenced, some are made available through map systems, others are actually good enough for reports or even my private web gallery. Most, however are photographically not very interesting, but serve to pinpont where important resources or difficut shoreline types are located.

With the robust E3, I have even got sharp, usable coastline images while the boat is moving at a high speed, making the whole thing very efficient. I am impressed with focusing and the lightweight system is an absolute MUST for me (although the E3 and High grade lenses is in the heavier Oly department . When I was planning to buy a totally new camera system for this purpose (I use my private camera for work) I lifted both a Nikon and a Canon with the quality and lenses I wanted, but dismissed them immediately when I was shown the E3 and a 50-200 SWD. During a two-hour flight around Bear Island using a heavy Nikon with a 200 mm f/2.0 i was more exhausted than after 8 hours with the E3 and company.

My wishlist for E5 would include the same robustness and weather proofing, better high ISO handling, even better AF-C functions, and better resolution to match the glass. What I need is a better and a second camera for wildlife shots, as they are also taken during difficult conditions (no lying around in camo waiting for the birdies ) on moving boats and waves, in the type of weather Norway has on the coastline. Come to think of it, you UK people can relate to the weather issue, ha ha. I will then reserve my beloved E3 for the 12-60mm for general overview shots (when it comes back from the health farm), and the new wonder for the telelens. I am very pleased with the E3 live view functions (once I get it repaired!)

I now have so many lenses that I do hope the E-system proves to be a choice for the future, and that it isn't discontinued. I personally think that sealing ones lips about future development is not a very good idea. I don't know about the market position in the UK, but in Norway, practically no one uses Olympus DSLRs. Nikon and Canon totally dominate the market, and Olympus needs to provide a security that the system will be continued. Otherwise, I think people will move away from it.

I am seriously considering selling all the E-system gear and going for Pentax K7 in stead, which is almost as lightweight. My colleague has it, along with some lovely lenses. He often gets far better quality resolution during telephotography than the E3 does. I don't know whether it's the lenses or the camera, but I'm dying to try the new E for comparison!

My book on Viovio

Last edited by Cathrine Stephansen; 20th August 2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typos! Need a new keyboard :)
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
I am seriously considering selling all the E-system gear and going for Pentax K7 in stead, which is almost as lightweight.
Does the Pentax have better guarantee of a future than Oly?

Flickr
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Im too concered about the future of Olympus, they seamed to have let the DSLR range slip lately and not releasing a high end model for such a long time is really worrying

For years I have stood up to canon and nikon owners who stand there and diss my olympus camera but im seriously thinking about selling up and purchasing a Canon7D or 5D mkii in October.

Im not thinking of switching because of tech, but buying lenses etc is meant to be an investment and if Olympus give up on the dslr range and concentrate on the micro range, we are all screwed, so I'd prefer to sell up now while I can

Problem is im sure im not the only one thinking like this, considering the amount of olympus kit being sold at the moment.

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 20th August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Im too concered about the future of Olympus, they seamed to have let the DSLR range slip lately and not releasing a high end model for such a long time is really worrying

For years I have stood up to canon and nikon owners who stand there and diss my olympus camera but im seriously thinking about selling up and purchasing a Canon7D or 5D mkii in October.

Im not thinking of switching because of tech, but buying lenses etc is meant to be an investment and if Olympus give up on the dslr range and concentrate on the micro range, we are all screwed, so I'd prefer to sell up now while I can

Problem is im sure im not the only one thinking like this, considering the amount of olympus kit being sold at the moment.
There's only a month until Photokina, why not wait to see what Olympus have to offer? We might all get a very nice surprise and if they come up with the goods for the E-5 you can bet a similar upgrade to the E-30 will follow as soon as manufacturing capacity allows. Everything will then look very rosey again.

Old 20th August 2010

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
im seriously thinking about selling up and purchasing a Canon7D or 5D mkii in October.
On another forum I frequent a 7D owner scrapped his camera by getting it wet in the rain!

Jim
Old 20th August 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Does the Pentax have better guarantee of a future than Oly?
I don't know, but that camera has better image quality than my E3 from what I've seen

My book on Viovio
Old 20th August 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Cheers guys yeah ill at least wait till then to see if a new body does get revealed

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 20th August 2010

Me too! I can wait till Photokina

My book on Viovio