Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 13th January 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Some portraits: advice needed please... and a guess at what she does as a hobby?

Hi All

I was asked a few weeks ago if I'd take some portrait (and family) shots of a friend of Jen & I that she could use on her forthcoming www site, and also in some promotional PR material she has been asked for. I was flattered to be asked to take these type of PR shots, and relished the challenge which we undertook yesterday.

I had to think long and hard about the type of poses I wanted to suggest to her, that I thought would depict what she does, and what the subject of her www site is. What I'd very much like for you good folk to have a go at if you're willing, is to let me have your thoughts as to what you think this lady does as her hobby, and what you think her www site could be about - having taken a look at just these two shots.

I appreciate that this is quite difficult - and I won't be offended if you're unable to guess correctly... but it would be very nice if someone managed to get close.

Any guesses...

Old 13th January 2008

Liked 882 Times in 403 Posts
Re: Some portraits: advice needed please... and a guess at what she does as a hobby?

John

I may be being influenced by a personal interest - but I have a friend who is a jewelry maker.

She is clearly wearing stylish, hand-made jewelry. So my first guess is that.

Am I close?

Peter
Old 13th January 2008

Re: Some portraits: advice needed please... and a guess at what she does as a hobby?

Thanks for the guess Peter, but no - it isn't jewelery maker. The first shot I think gives more away than the second...!

Old 14th January 2008
Napper

Hi John Going mainly by the first shot I would hazard a guess that your friend is involved with some kind of couselling. Her whole demeanor is one of listening thoughtfully, with kindly eyes. May well be wrong but that is the first and immediate impression I get.
Old 14th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper View Post
Hi John Going mainly by the first shot I would hazard a guess that your friend is involved with some kind of couselling. Her whole demeanor is one of listening thoughtfully, with kindly eyes. May well be wrong but that is the first and immediate impression I get.
Can see where Dave is coming from here. So following on from his steer, something in the alternative health arena. Which covers acupuncture to colonic irrigation! Just to increase the target!

The studious look could also be something academic.

Peter
Old 14th January 2008

Liked 784 Times in 270 Posts

Either a lay preacher or phsychologist.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 14th January 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Conservative Councillor

White Witch

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 14th January 2008

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

perhaps she teaches something and that leaves the opportunities way out there!!
Old 14th January 2008

Thanks all for your guesses at this, I am pleased with the attempts. She is actually a medium/spiritualist and is regularly asked and invited to talk on the subject. She has recently decided to run her own self-promoted seminars, and it is for these seminars and her forthcoming www site that the promotional photographs were taken.

Napper, you got very close... well done!

I have to add that this lady is not at all pretentious, and is one of the nicest, most pleasant people one could ever meet. She never imposes her thoughts on you, never looks for you, or speaks of her hobby when not invited. Salt of the earth.

Old 15th January 2008

John

Now we have the game out of the way. Can I say ....nice pictures. What was the lighting please?

I would love to get set up simply and have watched a few posts on what to buy. If I could achieve picture one routinely I'd try to sell a few like you do.

Peter
Old 15th January 2008
alert_bri

I think she looks like a medium, or a spiritualist...

so well done John! nice portrait.

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 15th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
John

Now we have the game out of the way. Can I say ....nice pictures. What was the lighting please?

I would love to get set up simply and have watched a few posts on what to buy. If I could achieve picture one routinely I'd try to sell a few like you do.

Peter
More than happy to show you the set up Peter... I saw an image posted I think on FTU where someone used a template set that included studio lights, props etc. I want to get that set and then I can create a drawing for you and post the exact layout of the shots I took. I think presenting it to you as an image would be better... give me a day or so to obtain that template, then create teh drawing in Powerpoint et al, and I will drop in here.

Am in Vienna at the moment, so a trip to town for photo's is on the cards tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alert_bri View Post
I think she looks like a medium, or a spiritualist...

so well done John! nice portrait.

Kind Regards

Brian
Many thanks Brian - I am pleased that you thought so as it means I went some way to achieving my brief!

Cheers all...

Old 15th January 2008

Hey folks...

As promised... here's the set up I used for photo 1 in the 1st post in this thread. I am no expert, so I am sure it can be improved upon, but it works for me

Old 15th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hey folks...

As promised... here's the set up I used for photo 1 in the 1st post in this thread. I am no expert, so I am sure it can be improved upon, but it works for me

Thank you a very helpful picture.

So do you have a room set aside as a studio or do you transport the kit to your sitter?

I have seen pop up backgrounds is a paper roll better?

Peter
Old 15th January 2008
alert_bri

Very informative, thanks for putting this schematic together John. What kind of flashes did you use? wireless?

I have zero experience / knowledge of studio lighting, so this is great for me.

Kind Regards

Brian