Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 24th April 2012

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Seaham

with camera a tripod at the ready I spotted this scene while working in the area, E-P1, 14.42mm kit lens, tripod, f8 for DoF 5ft-infinity using iPhone app, processed in Apple Aperture...I'd welcome your views (the tall rock really does lean quite a lot by the way - I'm not Hercules else I would have tried to straighten it).
Old 24th April 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Seaham

I've never had a stroll along the clifftop at Seaham, we really should do that.
It looks like a good spot, quiet.
Any more photos of the same bit?
Old 24th April 2012

No just a grab shot really during a break for lunch, the pathway looks well maintained, you can overstep the barrier and go upto the edge...but who knows whats beneath you!
If you go there please post a version of this scene so we can compare notes...
Old 24th April 2012

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
I've never had a stroll along the clifftop at Seaham, we really should do that.
It looks like a good spot, quiet.
Any more photos of the same bit?
Time for an Oly NE outing me thinks??
It's a fabulous walking and photo location due to the rich history of industrialisation, with some amazing fused ironwork dumped from the cliffs at Nose's Point (which I think is possibly the cliff at the far end of this beach scene), lunar landscape sulphurous beach used to protect the magnesium limestone cliffs and their rich fuana and flora, and lots of remnants of the coal mining, iron works, glass works, and the second world war!
This is Chemical Beach and the wood piles are often said to be the remnants of a railway used to dump waste from Dawdon colliery - however, I can't find the logic of the stack being in the way and I've not seen photos or maps showing this, so it possibly is the remnants of some sea defences.
An old view from quite close to your viewpoint can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/beamish...aves-00bash00/ which makes for a lovely comparison of your lovely coastal scene and its industrial past!

It's difficult to see how this photo could be improved as I know how difficult it is to get to a safe spot, and most people take the easy option and take the reverse view from Nose's Point!

Regards
Chris
Old 24th April 2012

Chris, thanks for the info...I did see a sign for Nose's point so yes I think you are right; chemical beach doesn't sound inviting....it looked clean to me. What a contrast to the industrial scene you linked to, thanks for that...great stuff!
Old 29th April 2012

Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts

Just spotted this Photograph of Seaham. I go to the beaches there all year round. They are often very quiet and I can spend hours walking on beach or cliff top - a couple of the 'denes' are havens for wildlife and designated as nature reserves.

The first photograph below is of the beach immediately to the south of the OPs photo. It is called the 'blast' beach and used to be covered in mine waste that was washed ashore. While the remains of this can still be seen it is no longer black as I can remember it when I was younger. The second photograph was taken from the beach and required very little processing - taken early in the day.

I haven't posted for a long time so thanks for the prompt I might try to get into a habit of doing so.
Old 29th April 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I really like your second image. The diagonal of the silhouette of the boat and the rock with the sunshine on the surface make a really interesting image.
Old 29th April 2012

Liked 1,290 Times in 498 Posts

Yes, that second one is a knockout image.

I shall have to go looking for this place

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 29th April 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post

I shall have to go looking for this place

Pete
Definitely sounds like a good idea for a meet as Ulfric suggested above.
Old 30th April 2012

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

The first one has some noticeable fringing on the left side of the rock, and on the vertical edge of the cliff in the distance... possibly caused by sharpening or 'clarity' adjustment?

The colours look great, and I like the composition, you have also kept just enough detail in the shadows too.
Old 30th April 2012

Thanks for the comments - from the people on this forum they are always appreciated.

What I had forgotten about the 'blast' beach is that it was used in the opening shots for the film Alien 3, I will try to find a picture of the actual surface of the beach to post later. Was reminded of this after Get Carter was on TV last night and the beach scene on that was shot about 4/5 miles further south on Blackhall beach. That beach is also very different from the one that was portrayed in the film.
Old 30th April 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Great shots.

I know that area a little, and it's full of potential - I'd be up for a meet there.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 30th April 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
'Tis time!

Let's start a when & where thread in the proper section ...
Old 30th April 2012

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Regards
Chris
Count me in as well. Its about time I got out the camera out for something other than family snaps.

Ken
Old 30th April 2012

After a bit of a search I found a view facing North along the blast beach back to where my first image was taken from. A bit reduced in quality this one. The OP image was taken of the next bay around the point where the lighthouse can be seen. My first image was taken from the top of the cliff above the 'grey' area. At least it shows what the beach is made up of, actually it depends on the season and what the weather and tides have been doing as well. Also shows how crowded it is in high season

The coastline around here is varied - the image below comes from about 10 miles further north near Souter point lighthouse which can be seen poking up at the left. The view on this one was affected by the haze out to sea and I don't think I've straightened the horizon.

[img]