Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th September 2010
Dustyheart

Monitor Colour Problem

Hi all,

I posted a thread here a while back, containing a picture that I took of the River Stour at Sandwich, for other members to critique (thanks for all of the interesting and useful feedback.)

It was mentioned that the colours of the pic appeared differently on different people's monitors/screens and I said that I would research the issue.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to find any hard and fast data on the subject- Or rather it is likely that I'm just ignorant and am not really understanding what I'm reading/I'm reading the wrong stuff?

It surely can't be just so that one has to live with the fact that one's images will always appear differently on different monitors and that there is no method of ensuring that the colours are 'correct' or as one would wish them to appear when others view them?

How do media professionals know that their images are correctly colour- balanced when sending them via the 'net for instance?

Of course I'm pretty sure that for the purposes of day-to-day usage that there is little one might do and would simply have to accept this as so, but I am left wondering how it must be done when it is needed to be by those in the requisite industries.

I know this may sound naive to the more experienced members here, and I may be making little sense, so any info on the subject that might enlighten me (and maybe others) would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Doug.
Old 10th September 2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Monitor Colour Problem

I use the Spyder3Pro monitor calibration system here. After I have calibrated my PC, I say a big difference. I think that it is worth it, but its not cheap.

http://www.datacolor.eu/en

I would not purchase it from their website, but look at Amazon or another online supplier.
Old 10th September 2010
ndl0071

There's various choices of software to help you out personally I use Huey but that's my choice

If you want to know more about calibration in general take a look here.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/viewing.html
Old 10th September 2010
Dustyheart

Hi Gents,

Thanks for your replies to my query. As I said; I'm very new to the world of photography and would not have even thought to ask the question had the matter not arisen in conversation with other forum members when they commented upon the colouration of the picture I submitted (Wide or Thin thread.)

I very much doubt that I shall need to use any software to calibrate my monitor(s) for some time to come and the question that I asked was purely an academic one born simply of personal interest.

Actually, only this afternoon, my wife came home from a torturing our credit-card trip with a book on photography for me by a chap named Tom Ang. It looks to be an excellent source of info for an amateur such as I, and does appear to have a section that addresses the matter of colour calibration, white balance and such. I say 'appears to have' because I haven't gotten around to sitting down to read it yet and have only skipped through thus far.

I also found the article that you recommended (ndl0071) interesting: although again I must return to it and read it more carefully. I also took a look at the Spyder3pro and was almost immediately out of my depth, but thanks anyway (J. Baker.)

Regards,

Doug.
Old 10th September 2010

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

A monitor screen is generally calibrated with a device that is placed closely against the screen. Software then issues commands to the graphics card to display a series of colours on the monitor. The device then compares what it sees displayed to what it should be. From the data gathered by the device a table of corrections is stored in the graphics card to enable accurate colours to be displayed.

Hope this helps!

Jim

P.S. I note in your post 5 mins ago that you were out of your depth reading about the Spyder. I haven't used a Spyder, but use Eyerite devices which are similar. The process is very easy. You just hang the device in front of the screen, fire up the software and watch as it cycles through a range of screen colours. When finished it offers to save and use the new settings. I don't suppose that use of the Spyder is much different.
Old 10th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
A monitor screen is generally calibrated with a device that is placed closely against the screen. Software then issues commands to the graphics card to display a series of colours on the monitor. The device then compares what it sees displayed to what it should be. From the data gathered by the device a table of corrections is stored in the graphics card to enable accurate colours to be displayed.

Hope this helps!

Jim

P.S. I note in your post 5 mins ago that you were out of your depth reading about the Spyder. I haven't used a Spyder, but use Eyerite devices which are similar. The process is very easy. You just hang the device in front of the screen, fire up the software and watch as it cycles through a range of screen colours. When finished it offers to save and use the new settings. I don't suppose that use of the Spyder is much different.
Exactly the same - the Spyder does all the work.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 10th September 2010
Dustyheart

Thumbs up Re: Monitor Colour Problem

Hi Jim and Mick,

Thanks for explaining the function and operation of these calibration devices in simple terms.

When I was afloat there was an expression used for the guys taking deck certification: 'Simple sums for simple sailors......' OK, it's a bit derogatory and it IS meant in a very tongue in cheek manner for any deckside hands who might read this, but it is analogous to my level of understanding of this subject.

Now you've broken it down into layman's terms it's pretty clear even to me!

I am starting a photography course next week and when it all gets rolling, then I have no doubt that I shall need this kind of kit.

Many thanks yet again and regards,

Doug.
Old 11th September 2010

Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,027 Posts
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Exactly the same - the Spyder does all the work.

Nick
I have a question Nick. Would the Spyder3Pro monitor calibration system be effective on my HP Compaq 620 laptop screen (15.6") or should I only do editing with a better screen?

Quote:
'Simple sums for simple sailors......' OK, it's a bit derogatory and it IS meant in a very tongue in cheek manner for any deckside hands who might read this, but it is analogous to my level of understanding of this subject.
This simple fiddle repairer needs a simple answer too .
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 11th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I have a question Nick. Would the Spyder3Pro monitor calibration system be effective on my HP Compaq 620 laptop screen (15.6") or should I only do editing with a better screen?

This simple fiddle repairer needs a simple answer too .
My Spyder is only 2, though it has 3 legs.

I've used it perfectly happily on a dell laptop running vista so wouldn't expect a problem (though I do recall seeing something on user groups about a conflict causing some windows builds to ignore the spyder settings, but that was a couple or more years back).

I'd use it on any screen used to edit or view photos.

Nick

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th September 2010

Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,027 Posts
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
My Spyder is only 2, though it has 3 legs.

I've used it perfectly happily on a dell laptop running vista so wouldn't expect a problem (though I do recall seeing something on user groups about a conflict causing some windows builds to ignore the spyder settings, but that was a couple or more years back).

I'd use it on any screen used to edit or view photos.

Nick
Thanks Nick,
I would assume the latest version would have addressed those bugs & to to work in Windows 7 (& hopefully with HP laptops).

Hope you have a good mornings sleep.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 11th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Thanks Nick,
I would assume the latest version would have addressed those bugs & to to work in Windows 7 (& hopefully with HP laptops).

Hope you have a good mornings sleep.
Certainly Spyder 2 works fine on win7 64 bit on a desktop, and I never had problems that some had with laptop builds.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th September 2010

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

There's a LCD setting in the 'Eyerite Eye-One Display 2' device.

I don't use mine anymore though as I now use a Colormunki. Must put it on Ebay!

Jim
Old 13th September 2010
Dustyheart

Hi Ross,

Just so's you know: Whilst many of those simple sailors might not have been maths whizzes, they nearly all knew how to operate a good fiddle in my experience!

Regards,

Doug