Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 9th March 2008
PeterD

Re: Tips for first time users ( and others still struggling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
It will probably be tomorrow before I can do it, but shall we start hammering out the (at least initial) layout?

If we are presuming we start with Wrotniak settings. Do you think perhaps a simple table of Description/Purpose and Changes? Or something more complex with Description, AF, ISO, Metering... Other etc? What do you think are the key settings likely to be changed?

This promises to be a really useful page for E-system users

I will also add the Olympus Digital School links - Thanks Invicta.

All the best,
Phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply and offer to create the prototype table.

My thoughts are that we should try and keep it flexible. I was surprised yesterday how AF was applied to the function button for instance. I could not find a reference in the manual as to how this could be achieved and so had to get clarification. We should bear this in mind when setting up
the table.

Having said that, I think the best approach would be to take a simple table as you first describe. Sections for Portrait, Landscape, Macro etc should be created in the database. In each section, the name of the author, Purpose of Settings (Or Introduction), List of essential settings to achieve obective, against each setting a description of how this is achieved if its not obvious. A feedback link to the author for any queries (this will allow ongoing development if necessary).

I have looked at the tutorials and they are also very useful in their descriptions but the missing info is that we are trying to create above.

What do you think Phil? I probably missed something obvious but I had hoped more people would have made suggestions. Can we handle this and is it worthwhile?

PeterD
Old 9th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Phil

I think we should define the method of updating the Wiki

- is it to be a free for all with knowledgeable ones doing fine tuning of the data periodically
or
is a single address/thread to be used for all users to supply the tips/gobbets of knowledge for the Wiki gurus to add the data to the Wiki in an ordered manner

The first method gives a ragged Wiki and then it is periodically cleaned up.

The second method gives someone a regular a workload (the Wiki gurus) to update the Wiki.
Hi Derek

My first thoughts are that only the original author can change his/her input. That puts a measure of control to the wiki and gives the author confidence and ownership. As far as access is concerned, I think it should be open to all to use.

The tips approach in a thread gets very messy, and difficult for people to find the info they want. We started out this way, you may recall with threads Tip1, 2 3 4 but they are buried amongst so much info they are virtually useless.

PeterD
Old 10th March 2008
emirpprime

Good point Derek, and I think you're about right here Peter. While the wiki is open and editable by all, I think there should essentially be a gentlemans agreement that you do not edit others opinions. Factual errors are one thing, although it may still be better to contact them and let them do it, but for User Reviews and User Tips I believe it should only be the author editing them.

For now at least I have a reasonable amount of time on my hands and so have been working on the wiki, and am happy to add content/make changes for people if they'd rather not have to do it themselves. I will also try and keep things uniform. For example by setting this table up, people can then edit it and add their content, but as the table pre-exists hopefully it will keep it looking smart.

As to if we can handle it, I don't see any problem. It may take a while to populate it, and I'm sure it will be adapted over time, but I think it is a great idea we should go ahead with. I will create a draft table and post back a bit later.

All the best,
Phil
Old 10th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Good point Derek, and I think you're about right here Peter. While the wiki is open and editable by all, I think there should essentially be a gentlemans agreement that you do not edit others opinions. Factual errors are one thing, although it may still be better to contact them and let them do it, but for User Reviews and User Tips I believe it should only be the author editing them.

For now at least I have a reasonable amount of time on my hands and so have been working on the wiki, and am happy to add content/make changes for people if they'd rather not have to do it themselves. I will also try and keep things uniform. For example by setting this table up, people can then edit it and add their content, but as the table pre-exists hopefully it will keep it looking smart.

As to if we can handle it, I don't see any problem. It may take a while to populate it, and I'm sure it will be adapted over time, but I think it is a great idea we should go ahead with. I will create a draft table and post back a bit later.

All the best,
Phil
Thanks Phil,

I, and I am sure a lot of other members, greatly apreciate your ethusiasm and determination to convert an idea into reality.

PeterD
Old 10th March 2008
emirpprime

Ok there is a dummy table up. http://www.fourthirds-user.com/wiki/...our_New_Camera Feel free to add to and edit it, or post your contents here and I will. It is ahard to know what column headers etc to ahev without content, so I'm afraid the first couple of submissions will be guinea pigs.
Look forward to seeing some top tips
Phil
Old 11th March 2008
PeterD

Thumbs up Re: Tips for first time users ( and others still struggling)

Quote:
Ok there is a dummy table up. http://www.fourthirds-user.com/wiki/...our_New_Camera Feel free to add to and edit it, or post your contents here and I will. It is ahard to know what column headers etc to ahev without content, so I'm afraid the first couple of submissions will be guinea pigs.
Look forward to seeing some top tips
Phil
Phil,

Thats looking good. I like the way you have presented it too with the link to the Andrzej Wrotniak article and the copyright preamble before it.

I have clicked the 'edit' label to see how the code looks in respect of the Table.

All we need now is for some brave soul to enter data and see how it goes.

Thanks for what you have done Phil.

PeterD
Old 9th April 2008

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

I am at risk of being accused of supplying egg sucking lessons for grans - have you seen the E3 FAQ web site on the US Olympus web site
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...qs.asp?id=1323

Could be a useful reference on the Wiki but I could not see a logical place to place it.
Old 3rd September 2008

Where has the info on switching between the focus modes gone in the Wiki that I added a few weeks ago and was then further improved - I cannot find it today.
Old 3rd September 2008
emirpprime

Just restored it. That section had been edited by someone (who wasn't logged in) and replaced with the words Hello. Probably an accident.
If you were also the person posting on the talk page about help editing there, let me know the specifics here / email me and I can set you on the right road.
Phil
Old 4th September 2008

Phil

I do not think so - I asked on one page about the missing information that you have now returned.

Looking at the Wiki Tips and Tricks does not show the AF point switching information.. Is the Wiki being rolled back by a restore from a backup copy?
Old 4th September 2008
emirpprime

Hi Derek,

Im not quite sure I follow, did I manage to restore the quick AF switching info you were talkng about or not?

The Wiki has a Differences system where itrecords the changes made. It allows you to roll back much ike syste restore in windows, and also to see the specific things changed by each person. To access this function click on Recent Changes in the navigation menu. You can then click DIFF next to an entry to see what it changed.

All the best,
Phil
Old 4th September 2008

Phil

I am confused -if I look at the Tips and Tricks section all I see is the following sections

* 1 Olympus E3
o 1.1 Shooting
o 1.2 Playback
* 2 Hidden Menu to access camera service menu
* 3 Hidden Functions Menu

with the associated words.

I cannot see the bit about swapping between the different focus zones.
Old 5th September 2008
emirpprime

All the AF related content there is is in the Shooting section, the last point. It relates to switching focus points and modes using the command dial.
If that isn't what you mean then I'm afraid I can't help!
If it isn't, do you remember more specifically what the info was? Perhaps we can recreate it.
All the best,
Phil

ps, sorry for the slow replies, i'm away at the mo and have spotty access.
Old 5th September 2008

I think I must have seen straight thru it - it is all there.

Thanks