Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 11th March 2012

Liked 176 Times in 58 Posts
Torridon Meet - Images

After several weeks build up and expectation the E-Group Meet at Torridon took place this weekend. 5 'togs' made the trip, 4 E-group members (Iain MacD [Iain ], Stoates [Steve], Wanderer [Duncan], Woofmix [Paul] and a Nikon friend [Paul 2]. We were also joined by Paul's sister and Brother in Law on holiday from New Zealand, Jocelyn and Ivan (plus Ros - Paul's dog).

We all arrived at the SYHA Torridon on Friday afternoon in very changeable weather, each having made stops along the way for various photo opportunities. We had seen some blue skies and sunny spells but as we made Torridon the skies became quite leaden and the rain was falling. Besides that, the mountains which were to be the picturesque backdrop to the weekends photos had no snow on them at all. As it was, this wasn't to be a problem as we never saw the peaks again!

We woke on Saturday to low cloud, drizzle and grey skies. Optimism was high that things would be better to the West but it was not to be and we were reduced to spending much of the day in the car - stopping along the way when the rain eased. We made it to Applecross, along what appeared to be the worst road in Britain until we came back along the Bealach na Bà, a single track route of impossibly steep climbs and descents, hairpin bends and sheer, unprotected drops of hundreds of feet. Luckily (?) the cloud was so low that visibility was reduced to about 30 feet at the really scary bits. After a short pit stop back at the hostel we set out again, this time along the North shore of Loch Torridon. The weather was still poor but at least it was now dry. The road almost made the Bealach na Bà seem like a trunk road - Duncan reckoned it to be the only road in the UK where you could be hit by an oncoming vehicle on the underneath of your car and I don't doubt him. We found an old wrecked trawler at Diabaig which kept us occupied for a while but more importantly spotted a possible location for a spot of sunrise photography the following morning.

A nominated 'spotter' was assigned to check the weather at 6am and if good enough we were going to head back to our chosen spot. After a clear night (we could actually see some stars!) it was disappointing to wake to another bank of low cloud, though there was enough of a hint of improvement that we decided to 'go for it' anyway. So there we were, a thousand feet up or so in a bitingly cold wind at 0630 but we did at least see the sun break through the cloud, if only fleetingly , and record a brief sunrise over Loch Torridon. The plan was to return to the hostel, have a quick breakfast and head to some of the locations we had planned for the saturday. Unfortunately the cloud descended further, the rain returned and we decided to make a leisurely trip back from whence we had come.

Was it a disaster? - no not at all. Photographically it wasn't the best but the company was great (as was the beer and food at the Torridon Inn) and we scouted out some places to return in the not too distant future. My thanks to all who atended and made it a very enjoyable event.

On the way - Rogie Falls.

A couple of Torridon 'locals'.

Red roofed shack with Sheildaig Island in the background.

Duncan contemplates why he had a coffee rather than a dram at the Applecross Inn.

'Team Photo' - Applecross

Inveralligin and West.

Wreck at Diabaig.

Loch Torridon Sunrise.

Atmospheric Loch Torridon.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/
Old 11th March 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,535 Times in 2,157 Posts
Re: Torridon Meet - Images

Considering the conditions you got some pretty decent pictures. I particularly like the red-roofed shack, in that dull, soft light the colour really pops. However, my pick from the set is the last one, "Atmospheric Loch Torridon." Atmospheric? You're not kidding, it's fantastic light. I'd love to have that in my collection.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th March 2012
Kiwi Paul

It was a great trip, I'm still processing my pics, I'll post some in the next few days.
Thanks to all for a good time and yes the real ale at the Torridon Hotel was really nice (the sticky toffee pud wasn't too bad either
Typical as we headed east towards Aberdeen the clouds cleared and we had brilliant sunshine.

Well here's one pic anyway...

Paul
Old 11th March 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

I enjoyed that thread and the photos are great...I didn't realize that it was in Scotland......how I love Edinburgh .... all the way up to the Orkneys...for me that was quite a trip across from John O'Groats in a bucket to the Isles!!
Old 12th March 2012

Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,337 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts

Great set of shots can't wait to see more. The weather may not have been sunny but you definitely got some shots that were better for it. I'm struggling to pick a favourite but I think it's the last one. That wrecked ship is something special too.
Old 12th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great Series of shots, even though the weather was not kind. Oh to live closer to places like that

I particualry like the sunrise

Trevor
Old 12th March 2012

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

I agree it was a good fun weekend.
Shame about the weather but it is the West Coast and it is March.
I've got a few pictures I'll post once I've sorted out lens repairs.
My 12-60 went on the blink. It seems the iris is not stopping down when the shutter is pressed.
My favourite lens. I take approx. 95% of my photos with it and ithas barely been off the camera in 3 and 1/2 years.

The sunrise looks better than you suggested. I'd crop a bit off the left and a tad off the top.
The last one is very atmospheric but I'd take out the mussel beds.

Lots of toys.
Old 12th March 2012

John, Bill, Phill D and Trevor - many thanks for the kind comments; I think that 'Atmospheric' is probably my favourite too (thanks to Paul2 for spotting it while I was driving!). It is probably shameful to admit that although I've lived in the NE of Scotland for over 30 years this is only the second time I have been to the Torridon area (about a 2.5 hours drive away). What I am sure about is that I will definitely be back in the short term - there are so many potential photos there. I'm also sure there will be plenty more images from the other attendees to enjoy shortly.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

Old 12th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
The sunrise looks better than you suggested. I'd crop a bit off the left and a tad off the top.
The last one is very atmospheric but I'd take out the mussel beds.
Cheers Duncan, I'll have another play in LR later (I asume the mussel beds are the string of buoys in the bottom right? ).

Hope you get your 12-60 sorted soon or find another example somewhere.

Old 12th March 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Steve and Paul Thank for posting these fab shots
You all have such a wonderful time, I am 1) envious and 2) using you e-outings to plot my Scottish Highlands holiday(s)

I do so enjoy your images and detail of these places too
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
stoates (12th March 2012)
Old 12th March 2012

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

wow, fab shots!
stoates (12th March 2012)
Old 12th March 2012
Kiwi Paul

Here's some shots from me, many more to process but these will do to start.

Comments welcome.

All with G3 and Zuiko m9-18, PL m25 and Zuiko m14-150.

Paul

I loved the isolation of this house, not a bad view from the front window either!!

Old 12th March 2012

Liked 880 Times in 245 Posts

Firstly a big thanks to Steve for organising this weekend - well done Steve
It was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and as Steve has already stated a must for a return in the very near future.

Below are a few images from my weekend, the first is the last of the blue sky I saw as I headed west on Friday evening

The much photographed tin roofed cottage - I'm glad no one was in!

A not so 'des' res

Steve and the Pauls in action - I wonder how they dealt with that telegraph pole?

The boat wreck

Sunrise(ish)

And finally 3 from the journey home, the sun was peeping through when I reached Garve, so I just had to head for the river and give the E-1 a try

Black Water River looking upstream

Downstream

From the other side of the bridge

Thanks for looking - here's to the next trip

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 12th March 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Iain, loving your shots ! Especially the renovate project in 3 and that peaty water best for the finest ingredient of Scottish Whiskies ...

Thanks so much for sharing ! Viewing these shots is a real pleasure !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 12th March 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,535 Times in 2,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Here's some shots from me, many more to process but these will do to start.

Comments welcome.

All with G3 and Zuiko m9-18, PL m25 and Zuiko m14-150.

Paul

I loved the isolation of this house, not a bad view from the front window either!!

Nice shots Paul. I particularly like the one of the boats and I'd love to live in the house in the last shot.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau