Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 9th February 2009

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts
Re: What would you like to see from Olympus next?

I would like to see UK customers getting a turn round time for repairs and serving that customers in the US are reporting that they get from Oly US. Typically 3 to 4 days.
Old 9th February 2009
Makonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Why the heck are prices going up in these uncertain economic times? Do companies actually what us to buy their products???? Prices should be coming down!
Pound has slid versus the yen. A year ago was "as low as 205.72, its lowest since May 2006" (Reuter, late Jan 2008)
Now? - 136....

With a fall of the order of 35% it's not surprising that prices here are going up by.... a mere 15-25% !
Old 9th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Why the heck are prices going up in these uncertain economic times? Do companies actually what us to buy their products???? Prices should be coming down!
The reason is simple the pound has plunged against other currencies. The manufacturers are charging the same amount or less in yen, euros, dollars or whatever it's just that the pound is worth about 25% less than it used to be. It's not just photographic companies I was talking to someone with a clothing import business and he is experiencing price rises of up to 75%.

Ian C.
Old 9th February 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

But with people cutting back on 'luxuries' the photographic market will undoubtedly suffer. But at least it won't just be Olympus............!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 9th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
But with people cutting back on 'luxuries' the photographic market will undoubtedly suffer. But at least it won't just be Olympus............!
You are right which might explain why Jessops shares are sitting at 1.9p when just over 2 years ago they were at 1.60.

Ian C.
Old 9th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
It sounds like you want an E3.
For features I suppose yes, but for size no - I'd prefer something a bit smaller. I don't really need a "splashproof" camera either, because none of my lenses are splashproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
Pound has slid versus the yen. A year ago was "as low as 205.72, its lowest since May 2006" (Reuter, late Jan 2008)
Now? - 136....

With a fall of the order of 35% it's not surprising that prices here are going up by.... a mere 15-25% !
Some will be doing their best to try to absorb differences in exchange rates, but eventually it won't be helped by the suppliers importing first to Europe and then converting prices from Euros into Sterling.
Old 10th February 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

What I'd like is a camera with the ergomomics and veiwfinder of my E-1 and the features of the E-520 and a reasonable price.

What I think we are going to get and pretty soon is a 1600 E-4 body that will make the overpriced E-30 seem reasonable.

Why do I think this..well the E-30 body is being priced at 998.99 yet I can get a E-3 body from my local Curry's superstore for 919.99 and with the loyalty deal from Oly the camera will have cost me the equivalent of 500, this deal lasts till the end of Feb.

Bottom line expect to see a E4 shortly after the end of Feb and new E-3 prices plummet like the E-1 did when the E-3 was announced.

I'm tempted to get the E-3 but do not really need or want any of the bribery offers (to get rid of stock) so I'm not sure and may take the risk and wait to see if i can pick up a bargain E-3 body offer after the E-4 is released. Or pehaps I'm just cynical.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 18th February 2009

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
....want any of the bribery offers (to get rid of stock) so I'm not sure and may take the risk and wait to see if i can pick up a bargain E-3 body offer after the E-4 is released......
I will wait..I want to be bribed and I want a bargain E-30..not the current over priced unit.

All my garbage so far.
Old 18th February 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

bet it is an E-5.... the 4 will have gone the way of the 2