Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 6th February 2009

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts
Re: What would you like to see from Olympus next?

I would like to see an external design published for the camera - this would enable one to know how the various functions are supposed to perform - specific examples would include the how the various focusing modes are designed to be used.

I would also like see the cameras having the ability to export a text file showing the various menu settings. I would not expect the data to be be imported as the location and values ranges of the data could change as a result of firmware changes. The export could be either via the memory card or via Oly Studio or Master.
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

One other thing. A GPS receiver to add the location to the Exif data.

Steve
Old 7th February 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm still not convinced that 14-bit sampling is anything but a gimmick unless you have a very clean signal and that means a very large sensor or very large photosites. According to DxOMark, the E-3 has comparable colour sensitivity and tonal range with the Canon EOS-50D, which has the same pixel pitch as the E-3, as well as 14-bit sampling.

You can over-sample (to 16 or 32 bits) from RAW in post processing anyway.

Ian
got to disagree Ian. If we had 16 bit sampling and the ability to impose a D-log curve on the data we could gain great highlight and shadow preservation as we then map the data down to 8 bit for screen or print
For those of us who like the tone-mapped HDR captured images, imagine being able to capture all 32 bits in one button press.
Yes the down side we would have to live with is the larger raw files.

also I would like an EVF (I have no real gripe with them) and an electronic shutter - silent and fast

Oh and most important for us astophotographers - a way of taking the IR filter out of the light path
Old 7th February 2009
Makonde

To those who have said they would like to see additional gadgets, I put the question:

Would you rather see those gadgets added, than the basic camera firepower improved by better performance in low available light?

I see Oly tempted to go down the route of adding bells and whistles, while losing purchasers who want the best image quality. Those are the purchasers who set the trend and the tone - the pro photographers and the really good amateurs, whose photos people see and think: "now if I had that camera..."
Old 7th February 2009
MarkVarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
To those who have said they would like to see additional gadgets, I put the question:

Would you rather see those gadgets added, than the basic camera firepower improved by better performance in low available light?

I see Oly tempted to go down the route of adding bells and whistles, while losing purchasers who want the best image quality. Those are the purchasers who set the trend and the tone - the pro photographers and the really good amateurs, whose photos people see and think: "now if I had that camera..."
Some gadgets I would use, IS for one and the pitch/roll for another, but the fancy jpeg processing I'll never use.
A gadget-laden camera is always going to come second place to a camera with good solid reliable capabilities, I'd happily ditch many features to be able to go to ISO3200 with barely noticable noise.
Old 7th February 2009

Liked 705 Times in 374 Posts

I forgot.. I would love to have that aperture ring to work on my E-system. It would be very useful on all mode..PSAM. Why limit this to only Lumix and Leica bodies?

All my garbage so far.
Old 7th February 2009

Liked 1,329 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:

The only feature of the E-30 I'd like to see added to the replacement for the E-3 is the level gauges.

A stripped down E-3 with the best sensor available would be my camera of choice. I never use flash so don't need the built in flash. I only ever use aperture priority or manual so don't need all the other exposure modes and I only shoot raw so I don't need the JPG options.

Multi spot metering would be nice so I suppose what I'm looking for is a weatherproof, digital, auto-focussing OM4 in a E-3 style body.

Edit. Another feature I'd like to see is ISO down to at least ISO 25 as sometimes ISO 100 is to fast and using ND filters with the 7-14 is impractical.

Last edited by David M; 7th February 2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: To add the ISO comment
Old 7th February 2009

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:

I would gladly sacrifice bells and whistles for improved low light and noise performance. The pixel count doesn't really need increasing, especially at the expense of noise. A bigger screen would be very useful and wouldn't impinge on camera performance. Incorporated battery grip and GPS are not a necessity.

However, the improvements I mentioned above regarding physical layout of the controls are just cosmetic and would improve the ease of use of the camera. I see this as an area where Olympus could improve their products at no extra cost to the end price. Some of the E-3 reviews I read in magazines did knock the layout of the controls and Oly should pick up on this.

Steve
Old 7th February 2009

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

I would like a radio control so I could shoot "tethered" without actually being tethered if you know what I mean.
Old 7th February 2009

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

E1 style buttons that "click" a little when you push them and are a little larger.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 8th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like a camera with a rotating/tiltable rear screen, IS and decent resolution with low noise at higher ISO and in low light.

I used the E1 the other weekend (thanks to Thea), it was lovely but there's no point in me buying one because it doesn't have the features I really want. I did like being able to see the settings without having to squint into the viewfinder or look at the menu back of the camera, so that would be good too.

I know there are people who absolutely adore their E300 or E330, perhaps an upgrade would be a good idea.

Other features such as the art filters and scene settings might be fun, but I can't say I'd use them - I seem to be happiest with the Aperture Priority setting, and forget about everything else.

Prices are going to be a problem though, and not just for cameras and other photographic equipment. We have friends who have a shop, they've told us that wholesale prices are rocketing because of the poor Euro/Sterling exchange. Apparently their wholesalers/importers buy in Euros and then convert the prices to Sterling, I presume it's the same for most imported things.
Old 9th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I'd like a camera with a rotating/tiltable rear screen, IS and decent resolution with low noise at higher ISO and in low light.

I used the E1 the other weekend (thanks to Thea), it was lovely but there's no point in me buying one because it doesn't have the features I really want. I did like being able to see the settings without having to squint into the viewfinder or look at the menu back of the camera, so that would be good too.

I know there are people who absolutely adore their E300 or E330, perhaps an upgrade would be a good idea.

Other features such as the art filters and scene settings might be fun, but I can't say I'd use them - I seem to be happiest with the Aperture Priority setting, and forget about everything else.

Prices are going to be a problem though, and not just for cameras and other photographic equipment. We have friends who have a shop, they've told us that wholesale prices are rocketing because of the poor Euro/Sterling exchange. Apparently their wholesalers/importers buy in Euros and then convert the prices to Sterling, I presume it's the same for most imported things.
It sounds like you want an E3.

As for prices, I work in photographic retail and cost prices are going up across the board. Most companies are putting up their prices between 15 and 25%. If you are going to buy in the next few months it's worth doing so now, if you can, while shops still have stock at pre-increase prices.

Ian C.
Old 9th February 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

"Multi spot metering would be nice so I suppose what I'm looking for is a weatherproof, digital, auto-focussing OM4 in a E-3 style body."

Here Here! - put this in a E-4xx body and produce a high grade 70mm F2 lens I would be happy!

Cheers, Steve.
Old 9th February 2009
MarkVarley

I'd like to see massive discount vouchers for loyal long-time users of Olympus for upgrades...
Old 9th February 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
It sounds like you want an E3.

As for prices, I work in photographic retail and cost prices are going up across the board. Most companies are putting up their prices between 15 and 25%. If you are going to buy in the next few months it's worth doing so now, if you can, while shops still have stock at pre-increase prices.

Ian C.
Why the heck are prices going up in these uncertain economic times? Do companies actually what us to buy their products???? Prices should be coming down!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge