Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 4th February 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Re: What would you like to see from Olympus next?

I guess moving the E-3 up slightly so putting the E-30 in fresh air! I would like to see something like wireless transfer - great for event work and also sports etc.. I believe some of the Canons can relay live view images back.

How about a nice wireless macro light system, 2 simple lens mounted units triggered by the current controller in the camera.

I like the idea of a 4xx ti, metal body some seals, multi spot metering: ) but I don't believe it would happen because the sealed lenses are big. But this could be an opening for a pro spec micro4/3 range.

Cheers

Dave
Old 4th February 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
I'd agree with the last statement and therefore Oly need to address this with a true new flagship model ASAP and also sorrt out the pricing between the models - the E-30 is at list prices overpriced to it's competition and trying to be an E-3 replacement rather than where I think it should be aiming

Regards
Andy
All Olys sem to be overpriced when they are first released, which is a strange way of trying to break more into a saturated market IMO.
And my views on the E-4xx and E-5xx were based on something I read recently about them becoming one, but don't ask me where I saw this as I can't remember. But I think it may come.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 4th February 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts
Exclamation Re: What would you like to see from Olympus next?

I have suggested this before but I think it is worth posting again:

I would like an upgrade to the software (Camera, Master & Studio) to provide the capability of storing camera settings onto a card and programing the camera settings to a card from Master and Studio.

This would provide the facility to simply plug in a card pre-programmed for whatever type of specific use that you require. On power up with a card with a setup file on it the camera asks if you want to use the card settings.

It would sit as an extension to "My Mode" and be selected, set, saved in the same way.

Also

I still use multi-spot metering on my OM4Ti and C8080WZ, I'd like to see it incorporated back into the system. It was a brilliant idea then and it's still a great one.

Thanks (In Antisipation)

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 4th February 2009

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

I would like to see the long macro lens finally appear and I would also like to see a shift lens (tilt as well would be a real bonus). I also agree with Nick regarding a big brother for the 50-200 ... how about a 180-450mm f/3.5-4.5 SWD?

An update of the E-3 to move it back ahead of the newer E-520 and E-30 feature-wise would be nice. I'm not really bothered with moving up to 12 or 14 MP, I'd be happy sticking to 10 MP with a noticeable increase in IQ, especially at higher ISOs. I second (or third or however many) the calls to drop XD in favour of a second CF slot and for a higher resolution screen. New grip with HLD-2 (E-1) quality and battery. Nearly forgot, multi-spot metering like the OM3/OM4

I'd also love to see an update of the E-1, a few more MP but retain the legendary colours. Better IQ above 200 ISO and ISO steps in 1/3 EVs. Bigger screen. Second CF slot. Retain the HLD-2 and Dungeness 'B' battery

Regarding Micro 4/3rds, I wonder if the dimensions of the format would permit a true SLR with optical viewfinder if a pellicle (Canon Pellix, EOS RT & EOS 1n RS) rather than an instant-return mirror was used. The non-moving mirror would require considerably less room and there may be enough leeway for a mirror big enough to avoid vignetting. Even if technically feasible there may be patent issues to overcome

Not too much to ask for

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 5th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to see more prime lenses particularly a 400 or 500mm f5.6ish to keep the price and weight down, a 7mm non fisheye and a 35 or 40mm f1.4.
On the camera front I want a splash proof micro 4/3 with an eye-level finder and of course a range of splash proof micro 4/3 lenses to go with it.

Ian C.
Old 5th February 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great Thread.... we ought to have a regular forum where we can discuss 'wants' and what the other manufacturers are doing that we think Oly should look at.

I nearly went to Canon (The Darkside as my son says!) and considered Nikon

I love my E-520 and all the its functionality and the lens I have already invested-in, but I would love to have:
  • 3" High Res LCD Display
  • more megapixels
  • Brighter / larger eye piece
  • Faster focusing?
  • Price tag of a 50D / D90 (or less )

...thats all

Now the E-30 is out, and its over priced (in my humble opinion) and doesnt have my top 'want' ........
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesgj View Post

Now the E-30 is out, and its over priced (in my humble opinion) and doesnt have my top 'want' ........
I agree on that overpriced bit. The other thing, it's a pretty large camera. Must all pro and semi pro cameras have a certain size to comply with? I am pretty sure all that is in the E-30 can be housed into a E-520 body.

And Oly still have not included an eye detector. Please off that LCD when the eye is in the viewfinder.

All my garbage so far.
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

I'd like to see some new lenses especially in the Pro/High grade range.

The first would be the 100mm macro that's been on the roadmap for ages. And a longer macro in the 150mm to 180mm range also in the Pro/High grade range.

Also nice would be a 200-400mm f3.5-f5.6 SWD to compliment the 50-200 SWD.

But even nicer would be something like a 400mm f3.5. The old manual focus 400mm f3.5 Nikkor was a spectacular piece of glass 20 years ago so imagine what could be done with that sort of specification these days.

As far as an update to the E-3, I'd like the sensor and level gauge from the E-30. And for me you could lose the pop-up flash. That would make the body slightly smaller and easier to weather/dust proof.
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
....And for me you could lose the pop-up flash. That would make the body slightly smaller and easier to weather/dust proof.
That cannot be done. Oly chose to use the built in flash/light to trigger the FL36/50R remotely.

All my garbage so far.
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts

Most of the things I would like to see on future DSLRs have been covered by what has been previously mentioned, dual CF slots, 3" screen, improved noise, more pixels etc. However, I would also like to see a redesign of the layout of buttons and controls (from the E-3).
  • The exposure mode control has returned with the E-30 and that should stay.
  • The Play button should be moved to below the screen, which it is a more logical place for it.
  • The Exposure compensation button should be moved to where the Play button is now i.e. so it lies under the right thumb.
  • A manual switch for focus mode - like the E-1. Just C S MF - C+Manual, S+manual etc. still being done in menus.
  • Larger function buttons that can more easily pressed whilst wearing gloves.
  • The External flash connector and Remote cable connector put behind a hinged rubber door - like the Connector cover on the E-3. Get rid of those horrible, fiddly screw caps.
  • For a top-end camera incorporate the battery grip into the body (like certain other manufacturers) and accomodating 2 batteries. I tend to keep my HLD-4 permenantly attached these days.

Steve
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I am quite happy with the lenses available from Olympus, Panasonic and Sigma.

What I would like to see is my settings "remembered" when I update the firmware. The new focusing control on the E3 is worth the annoyance, though some other updates were not.

Carry on producing the E330 so I can have a shiny new one! Pleeeeaaaase...

Nick
Old 6th February 2009
Xpres

How about.... being able to send your E1 back to Oly and having the sensor upgraded?
I still use mine a lot - I like it - I would pay the price of a new camera to do it!.
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
I agree on that overpriced bit. The other thing, it's a pretty large camera. Must all pro and semi pro cameras have a certain size to comply with? I am pretty sure all that is in the E-30 can be housed into a E-520 body.

And Oly still have not included an eye detector. Please off that LCD when the eye is in the viewfinder.
All pro bodies are large and heavy as they have to be strong and withstand years of abuse (in the old days at least!). However, the Oly OM's were supposed to be pro level and of course they were tiny. So there goes logic!
I would love a true small digital OM with a decent VF, a really tough body (ideally magnesium), weather sealing and a great spec.
I would even give up my E-3 if Oly ever released something like that

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
I would like to see more prime lenses particularly a 400 or 500mm f5.6ish to keep the price and weight down, a 7mm non fisheye and a 35 or 40mm f1.4.
On the camera front I want a splash proof micro 4/3 with an eye-level finder and of course a range of splash proof micro 4/3 lenses to go with it.

Ian C.
A few more prime lenses would be ideal but the one which I would like to have is a 25mm f1.4.

I would like to see such a lens produced in the micro Four Thirds format also. Panasonic promised such a lens for their micro Four Thirds Lumix G1 - but I have seen no sign of it mentioned in the press to date.

However, I would prefer Olympus to produce such a lens in both 4/3rds and m4/3rds formats.

Ray.
Old 6th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shotter View Post
A few more prime lenses would be ideal but the one which I would like to have is a 25mm f1.4.

I would like to see such a lens produced in the micro Four Thirds format also. Panasonic promised such a lens for their micro Four Thirds Lumix G1 - but I have seen no sign of it mentioned in the press to date.

However, I would prefer Olympus to produce such a lens in both 4/3rds and m4/3rds formats.

Ray.
Panasonic were showing what they hoped to bring out in the next year or so for micro4/3 so I doubt if we will hear anything about the 25mm until they are about to release it.

On the micro4/3 front how about a camera and lenses inspired by the classic rangefinder cameras, Leica M, Contax G series. Compact with an optical viewfinder automatically changing framing lines/finder magnification as you change lens. You could produce for it a 12mm, 18mm, 25mm, 45mm and 65mm. This would make a fantastic compact walk about kit and I'm sure many Nikon and Canon SLR users would buy one as a second camera.

Ian C.