Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th February 2011

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts
A useful email...

Gleaned from another forum I visit

Normally I just dump emails I get from the various companies I have a connection with. However I just got an email from my car insurance company which contains, unusually, some useful information. So I thought I would pass it on here...

We're emailing all of our policyholders to alert you to an increasing fraud trend that has been getting a lot of attention in the press and on TV. It is often called 'Cash for Crash' and involves two types of fraudulent claims - 'staged' and 'induced' accidents which inevitably lead to false or exaggerated personal injury claims. We're keeping a close eye on parts of the UK where there has been a surge in such activity but we would like to help you to recognise the signs, protect yourselves and to know what to do if you have suspicions.

Staged accidents involve criminals using damaged cars and 'crashing' them together by arrangement to make false claims. Induced accidents are similar but can put innocent victims' lives at risk (more below).

We work closely with the Police and fraud prevention agencies - our goal is to help cut the estimated 40 per car insurance policy in the UK that goes to picking up the cost of fraud. We don't expect you to tackle fraudsters directly - that can be dangerous - but you can help us by reporting your fraud suspicions to the right people.

If you suspect or have inside knowledge about any type of insurance fraud you can report this in the strictest confidence, anonymously if required, to the Insurance Fraud Bureau, by calling 0800 328 2550 or by reporting online at Insurance Fraud Bureau

Induced accidents - how they work,

Induced accidents tend to occur on busy motor slip roads and roundabouts, close to places where cars are normally slowing down. A car containing fraudsters will spot a 'victim' driving a car behind them and shortly before a junction on a clear road, slam on their brakes forcing the driver behind to collide with them. As the unsuspecting victim has gone into the back of the car in front, they often - wrongly - assume that they have caused the accident despite their suspicions. The fraudsters may say that a car in front swerved without warning or that something 'ran out' causing the sudden stop. In some cases, a 'willing witness' will appear.

Induced accidents - what to do

If you suspect you have been involved in an induced accident, it is essential that you do not confront the other driver with your suspicions. These frauds are often carried out by organised criminals who do not want to face time in prison. Keep your suspicions to yourself, do not give out your personal details (do provide your insurance details, but don't disclose your home address or mobile number) and take a careful mental note of everything that happens. When you are away from the scene, write down as much as you can remember and tell us about your suspicions when notifying the claim. You can also call or email the Insurance Fraud Bureau Cheatline.

Did you know that an average of 40 from every car insurance policy in the UK is spent just covering the cost of fraudulent claims

Report suspected fraud

You can call the Insurance Fraud Bureau Cheatline free on: 0800 328 2550. Or report your suspicions online.

If you have a friend or relative who has been caught up in this kind of accident, encourage them to report it too. Often the fraudsters involved in these crimes are mixed up in much more serious criminal activity.

As your insurers, we are set up to detect and pursue fraud. We have a zero tolerance approach and we will investigate cases of suspected fraud, working with the Insurance Fraud Bureau and the Police where we suspect serious fraud has taken place.

With your help, we can help squash this type of crime and stop fraud pushing everyone's premiums up.

Your time and vigilance are appreciated.

Best wishes.

The esure Anti-Fraud Team

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Ellie (16th February 2011), Melaka (16th February 2011), rsh1960 (16th February 2011)
Old 16th February 2011

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Re: A useful email...

On my way home from work ( about 4pm) I drive past (and inevitiably mingle with the traffic from) a large out of town shopping centre.

I often have evil thoughts of slamming on the brakes of my clapped out car & getting a "yummy mummy" in a big flash car who is jabbering on her mobile to rear end me. The car would be worth far more written off than if I sell it.
I'd get stacks of witnesses as its 3 lanes leading to a motorway.
I could even claim whiplash!!

Trouble is I'm too damned honest