Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 7th March 2008

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Re: What was your first SLR

My first camera was also a Praktica MTL-3. Press a button to stop down and line up a needle to set exposure. Split screen for manual focusing.

How things have changed...
Old 7th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
My first camera was also a Praktica MTL-3. Press a button to stop down and line up a needle to set exposure. Split screen for manual focusing.

How things have changed...
Exposure meter AND spilt screen BLOODY LUXURY.

Ian C.
Old 7th March 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

My first camera was an Ensign Commando, good post war camera but not very strong. Then the ubiquitus Fed, which I soon changed for a Leica 3G, this in turn went to an M3 with a 35mm lens plus an old 50mm and a 90 mm Elmar. Not a bad set up and I enjoyed taking them fell walking but eventually I went in for a Minolta XG2. Boy did that camera earn me some money. It was a very reliable camera with a superb 28 mm lens. Which is one of the reasons why I think Sony will be a big force to reckon with in the future, Minolta's were superb! However, I couldn't afford film much so 20 years later I started with a 1.5 meg Minolta which was ahead of its time. I went on to a Nikon 5600 and still use some of the 5 meg piccies I took with it and its succesor the 8800. I think to date the best digi was in many ways the 8800, it did every thing right apart from being noisy and a slow shutter release, it was light and one good lens made it portable. Sure I love the Oly but with a few lenses to lug about it is not all that convenient as was the Nikon prosumers
Old 7th March 2008
Rod Souter

My first SLR Olympus OM1 with f1.8 50mm, followed by f3.5 28mm, then the f4 75/150mm and other oly lenses all of which I still have.
Old 7th March 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My dad had a Praktica LTL I used to use then an OM2, then OM1s.
Old 7th March 2008
IanV

Howdy,
First SLR was Dad's Praktica MTL-5 (which I still have) with a selection of petacon's & Sigma's.

My first camera, that I had almost forgotten about, was a simple Hamimex 110 that I took loads of pictures with. I only seem to remember the late seventies and early eighties in shades of brown and green. It must have been the Anorak and tank-top that I was wearing.

IanV
Old 7th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 1st SLR was an OM10 bought new, followed by various used OM's. My 2nd New SLR was a D70, 3rd an E-1, 4th an E-3.
Old 7th March 2008
BigD

dare i say it canon 350d i only sold is as it never got used at the time so it felt like a waste of money .
Old 7th March 2008
Ijay37

Not strictly SLR but my first proper camera was a Leica 111F with Elmar 50mm F2.8 lens the camera was about 30yrs old and in perfect condition this was in 1960 at RAF Changi Singapura I later sold it due to a lack of Tiger beer money. Big mistake, how I wish I had kept it.
John
Old 8th March 2008

Liked 408 Times in 171 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

The first SLR that I used was a Ricoh that my father borrowed from work in the late 1970's.

The first SLR that I owned was an Olympus OM2n which I bought not long after they were released towards the end of 1980. The OM2 had been released a bit before that.

An interesting thing to note is that the OM2n cost the same proportion of a first year engineering graduate's salary in 1980 as what an Olympus E-3 does today.

My first digital SLR was an Olympus E-300 and my second is an Olympus E-3.

Last edited by griffljg; 8th March 2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Name of first SLR
Old 8th March 2008
E-P1 fan

It is instructive how many of us started with the products of the old Iron Curtain - Zenit, Practica etc - not to mention Zorki, Lubitel and Fed

Anyone ever had a big Kiev?
Old 8th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, an 88 but I don't use it so it's going to be sold I guess.

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif
Old 8th March 2008
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

I had a Kiev but it was a copy of the pre-war Zeiss Contax rangefinder camera! Never found any lenses for it so migrated to a Zorki (Leica screw mount copy).

First SLR was a Fujica ST605 (?), not a bad camera. First really GOOD camera was a Minolta X-700 SLR, which I got some really nice pictures with. Minolta lenses were much underrated I think. I still have it plus a few lenses.

Then came a Contax G-2 plus lenses - fantastic camera, sadly discontinued - amazing Zeiss lenses - I always liked rangefinder cameras. Still have it and it gets used for slides.

I dallied with a Minolta Dimage 7 before falling for the E-1...

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 8th March 2008

Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

Gosh, this takes me back many a year.

My first SLR, bought as an impoverished student, was a Kowa SE, a fixed lens beast with a mirror slap that the whole world could hear!

My very first camera was a large plastic affair that was won at Pinner fair. It served me well though, and the 2.25" negs started me on the road to b/w printing (then contact prints only). After that I upgraded to an Agfa Isolette, a hand-me-down from my brother. My first 35mm was a Halina 35X, I think it was.

How things have changed.

Ian
Old 8th March 2008

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

My first SLR was a Canon TX bought in the mid 70s. In 78 i sold it and bought at OM-1 with 35/2.8 and 100/2.8. It's still working and served me well until the E-500 arrived.

niels