Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 12th October 2014

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,199 Times in 1,168 Posts
Re: dabble with FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Really nice camera Brian, I particularly like the knobs and dials for 'proper' user control, unlike many modern cameras where you haven't a clue without looking at the display or EVF. I hope Olympus move in the same direction at the next 'pro' release.
That would mean it won't be customisable, so I very much doubt that move.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 12th October 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
well I ended up in Calumet in Manchester.....spent an hour with a Nikon D610, Canon 6D with 24-105 and FujiFilm XT1 - and the whole range of lenses......and came out with the Xt1, 18-55 and a 35mm f1.4. The process of elimination of the others was difficult regarding full frame....the Nikon had an under performing zoom lens as part of the kit....the Canon was just so big and heavy with the 24-105 with only 4 frames a second and was close to going home with me but I went for the Fuji for similar reasons I chose M43. The Fuji is giving incredibly clean hi ISO images....the zoom is not unto the 12-40 pro standard but its good. The user interface is very good.
The Fuji X range is very good and the XT1 looks to be a lovely camera Brian, I think you will be very pleased with it. I thought the output from my X-E1 (now sold) was excellent.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 12th October 2014

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Moving away from customisable would be a positive move, in my opinion. Keep things simple, don't over complicate the camera when it doesn't need it. It's a light capture device after all.
The trouble with modern electronic, programmable cameras, the designers think they can do x, y and z with this thing, and all the other letters of the alphabet, resulting in a menu system so deep you could fall in. Just imagine if a car was designed like that - you just want a steering wheel, gear stick, and three pedals, plus a handbrake. Same principles need to apply to cameras, in my opinion.

on flickr
Old 12th October 2014

Quote:
Moving away from customisable would be a positive move, in my opinion. Keep things simple, don't over complicate the camera when it doesn't need it. It's a light capture device after all.
The trouble with modern electronic, programmable cameras, the designers think they can do x, y and z with this thing, and all the other letters of the alphabet, resulting in a menu system so deep you could fall in. Just imagine if a car was designed like that - you just want a steering wheel, gear stick, and three pedals, plus a handbrake. Same principles need to apply to cameras, in my opinion.
That would only make a few happy (In my opinion), not the many that bought the E-M1.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 12th October 2014

I'll have a word with Hiroyuki Sasa, but I'll ask him to leave the EM1 alone for all those 'gadget' guys to enjoy

on flickr
Old 12th October 2014

Quote:
I'll have a word with Hiroyuki Sasa, but I'll ask him to leave the EM1 alone for all those 'gadget' guys to enjoy
You do that.
Old 12th October 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
You know, I think you've got a strong point. Sure, be able to set certain controls to our own preference, but keep things uncomplicated. You can only have one exposure and one focus point at a time (until you get IBM - in-body masking!). That's why I'm rediscovering film.

Having said that, my current car, a member of the VAG, is so configurable it can get confusing. And that's before you go into the extra configurations available through a laptop!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 12th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
You know, I think you've got a strong point. Sure, be able to set certain controls to our own preference, but keep things uncomplicated. You can only have one exposure and one focus point at a time (until you get IBM - in-body masking!). That's why I'm rediscovering film.

Having said that, my current car, a member of the VAG, is so configurable it can get confusing. And that's before you go into the extra configurations available through a laptop!
I've been thinking of rediscovering film as well (I have a Pentax MX and a number of lenses). They were perfect instruments, manual everything, a sensor that was renewed with each advance of a lever, and you could compose your picture without turning the camera 'on'. Oh, and the joy of opening the pouch containing your photies, don't you just love the chemical smell!

on flickr
Old 12th October 2014

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

The XT1 has 6 configurable buttons - and permanent dials for ISO, Shutter speed, exp comp, metering pattern, drive mode (which also includes filter options) and focus mode...so essentially you set all these by turning dials and switches physically on the camera - theres an aperture ring on the lens too.
The customisable buttons can then be focus point, face detection on/off, macro mode, film simulation, DoF preview and focus point....I feel more ready to make changes as I can physically see the permanent feature without going through menus.
Also they have a really good DoF scale which works when you are in manual mode....so turning the aperture ring on the lens increases the line on the scale indicator.
The E-M5 is also lovely to use...once you have your configurations sorted you tend to know which buttons to press. So far I've found the control in manual mode more intuitive than the Olympus. Image quality is not much different - I think the 12-40 pro beats the 18-55 XF for sharpness - but the XT1 controls noise better.
The XT1 is much closer to a traditional film SLR...in terms of controls and size.

As for the itch....I've reconciled that I can hire a 6D and lens for the purpose of a wedding as I'd not want to use one in any other situation....though there is no rationale for wanting to do that.....I think I need a shrink!
The Following User Says Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
StephenL (13th October 2014)
Old 12th October 2014

What am I going to do if the Fuji demons get me and I swap to all fuji gear.....you'll all hate me (after you snapped up my Oly gear)....and I'll have no wonderful forum to share thoughts and photos with!
Old 12th October 2014

Quote:
What am I going to do if the Fuji demons get me and I swap to all fuji gear.....you'll all hate me (after you snapped up my Oly gear)....and I'll have no wonderful forum to share thoughts and photos with!
I doubt you'll give up the Olympus. Then you can carry two systems everywhere.
Old 12th October 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
You'll need to hang on to some Olympus gear

By the way what's your opinion of the XT-1 Evf Brian, it's supposed to be rather nice is it not?

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 13th October 2014

Huw...Yes the EVF is large and has the facility to have an additional mini enlarged view for manual focussing. Peaking and a novel split image focussing similar to film SLRs are also good. The quality of the image is sacrificed for fast response...and in low light is a little noisy.
You get all the data you need and the DoF scale in manual too.
I'd prefer the hybrid optical with electronic overlay I think.....like the XPro1...but that has the original sensor....might be a new version of that soon as the XPro1s are being sold of cheap at present.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
Greytop (13th October 2014)