Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 8th July 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
E-M5 mk iii - same sensor as E-M1ii ?

https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-olympus...e-m1ii-sensor/

Oh dear - I'm officially disappointed. Big lost opportunity. It'll not be on my shopping list.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 8th July 2019

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Re: E-M5 mk iii - same sensor as E-M1ii ?

If it is the sensor that it will be fitted with it raises my hopes that the eventual EM-1 MK III will have a new sensor.
Old 8th July 2019

Liked 578 Times in 206 Posts

I like that sensor, makes me interested depending on how low the price is.
The Following User Liked This Post:
cedge (11th July 2019)
Old 8th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I like that sensor, makes me interested depending on how low the price is.
I'd be surprised if it's under £1299. Better off buying an E-M1ii used (or a grey import!).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 8th July 2019

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I'd be surprised if it's under £1299. Better off buying an E-M1ii used (or a grey import!).
Olympus launch pricing is reliably absurd so I might be inclined to add a bit to that estimate. That said, if they manage to squeeze hand held high res into it, then it will sell.

As for the lack of a new sensor... Iím not expecting one this year.
Old 9th July 2019

All the runes are pointing to a new sensor out there - whether that be the Sharp 8k video camera or the rumours from both Sony and TowerJazz of a 30Mp 4/3 sensor. If those runes are true and there is a new sensor on the horizon I'm amazed that Olympus aren't planning on using it.

The problem of course is that there has been very little improvement in IQ since the 16Mp Sony sensor that debuted in 2012 in the original E-M5. It's still "good enough", but I for one would nonetheless like more. A sensor jump in the E-M5iii would have definitely had me hovering over the pre-order button. As it is, I can't see any advantage over the now almost 3-year old E-M1ii or 3.5 year old Pen-F.

An improved sensor would have opened up sales from a wide base of existing m43 users. As it is, with a variant of the 3.5 year old 20Mp sensor that debuted in the Pen-F, I can't see that happening.

Then when we go comparing with competitors like the Fuji XT30 and the Sony A6500, Olympus will be launching a camera a year or more after them and yet which has an older sensor design than both. I can see the reviewers now using the "reaching into the Olympus parts bin" cliche.

I still love m43 and have no plan to switch or add another system, but I think the longer there is lack of sensor progress the more the format will struggle in the wider market.

But what do I know! - maybe Olympus has some computational tricks up its sleeve (HHHR would be a good start).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

I think it makes sense, the E-M1x is the most expensive Olympus camera and it has been released very recently.

From a marketing point of view, it wouldn't make sense to put a better sensor in a cheaper model so soon.
If the new sensor would be available for the E-M5 iii, it means that it would have been available for the E-M1x too.

Personally I am fine with an E-M5 iii having E-M1 ii sensor. The new CPU can handle noise better and E-M5 is a mid-range model. It can't always have the best.
It also depends on the price of course...

What I was not fine with was the E-M1x's sensor.
I expected E-M1x to have a considerably better sensor with more MP (I believe 24MP is doable for m4/3 and would put E-M1x in par with most other crop sensor cameras).

But the new sensor didn't come with E-M1x and surely it wouldn't have with the much cheaper E-M5 iii.
-Yoshihisa Maitani
cedge (11th July 2019)
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 1,734 Times in 645 Posts

Paul,

I must agree with you around the age of the current sensor, but there have been a lot of interviews with Olympus technical people in the past who have hinted that they intend to push the processing side of the camera and improve its performance in that manner, which is I guess where the EM1-X comes in with its doubled up processors - a great test bed for algorithms with the luxury of not having to refine the code to fit the processor and memory of the lesser cameras.

I want to see a better sensor in the micro 4/3 product, but it's mot about pixels for me, it's about high ISO performance, I don't think that there is a need to go past 20 or so megapixels.

I would also like to see a global shutter - having seen a couple of rolling shutter anomalies on a handful of photos. (though having said that the photos the rolling shutter anomoly provides are quite funky! )

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 9th July 2019

One of micro 4/3rds achiles heels is high ISO so a new sensor with improved high ISO capability rather than pixel count would be what I would like to see, marketing might want increased pixel count though. Bit of both perhaps?
Old 9th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
One of micro 4/3rds achiles heels is high ISO so a new sensor with improved high ISO capability rather than pixel count would be what I would like to see, marketing might want increased pixel count though. Bit of both perhaps?
All practical examples of camera evolution show that increased MP, better DR and improved ISO all come as a matched set!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 9th July 2019

Quote:
All practical examples of camera evolution show that increased MP, better DR and improved ISO all come as a matched set!

Some Sony cameras (I can't be bothered to look them up) came out with new sensors with a reduced pixel count targeting low light photography with better DR. My now ancient Samsung S7 mobile phone dropped the pixel count from 19 mp to 12mp for the same reason and produces better photo quality than it's predecessor.
My possibly dodgy logic says that if everything else is equal in the development of a new sensor bigger pixel size will have better low light capability than more smaller ones. So if 20mp is sufficient and sensor development allows for better sensitivity/processing etc then staying at 20mp will give better high ISO than say the 30mp you mentioned earlier. However generally new sensors do indeed appear with more megapixels but I feel this maybe necessary for marketing.
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 102 Times in 60 Posts

Not sure what you expect. I thought the MP race was discussed to death. I agree that with the increase from 16 to 20MP the image quality did not improve all that much probably because we are running out of space on the sensor and have reached the limit. Any further improvement must be done in the camera processing. Yes I am sure there is newer tech out there in the sensor world they could have used, and if that is the case then I agree if there is a better 16 or 20MP sensor and they are not using it, that would be disappointing.

I guess I have just been watching tooo many YouTube videos. One in particular sticks with me, a discussion about sensor size and pixels. It explained how the pixels catch the light, big ones catch more light than little ones, and that about 12MP is the optimum count for a Full Frame sensor. The video presenter went on to say that is why the D700 is so highly regarded and if found new still commands a high price...because of the image quality it produces. So does this mean our sensors really reached their peak at 5MP? The E-1 sure did produce nice images, I don't recall anyone complaining about them. I don't know...I am just a retired airplane mechanic. I am looking now for my second camera, something to take along on the motorcycle, (to much cash in the EM-1 to risk), and I am looking at maybe a used EM-5 Mk1 or 10 Mk1. Would love to find an E-PL1 but if I recall the LCD was almost impossible to see in sunlight and there is a lot of that here.
Old 9th July 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts

Maybe pixel binning is the way forward. Phone cameras can have very high pixel counts with very small pixels. They combine them when shooting in low light to reduce noise.

My Flickr
Old 10th July 2019

Liked 833 Times in 279 Posts

There are folk now using Olympus improving work over previous equipment.

I have always enjoyed what I'm getting from Olympus - my only wish I had overcome my aversion to RAW and studied more the programs to improve my work.

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?b=1

Old 10th July 2019

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-olympus...e-m1ii-sensor/

Oh dear - I'm officially disappointed. Big lost opportunity. It'll not be on my shopping list.
As long as it's the same size as the 5ii and has CA focusing abilities as good or better than the 1ii, it may well be on mine. Absolutely ideal compact street and travel tool if it does.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
cedge (11th July 2019)