Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 24th July 2015

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Will an OMD-EM1 mk2 finally sort out the...

...problem of AF, tracking, and low light to make it a camera that will be able to do sports etc in the same way as most Canon/Nikon etc bodies..?

Most of my photos are of kids in school, so a mix of sports day and competitions, classroom and low-light school play type events. While the size and quietness of the EM1 is wonderful, and the 40-150 f2.8 is perfect, I still find it a struggle compared to my old Canon 5D2 in most of these situations, to the extent that I have been starting to look at things like the 7D mk2, and going back to big and heavy lenses which won't be easy, and I cannot afford two different systems..

So, my question to you clever people who understand more of the technical side of things - will mirrorless cameras ever be able to compete fairly equally ?
Also, while I know no-one can give an accurate answer, when might we be able to expect an updated body, or better still, a software update ?
Old 24th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,557 Times in 2,166 Posts
Re: Will an OMD-EM1 mk2 finally sort out the...

Well, hopefully, but of course there is no guarantee and no crystal ball.

I actually find my E-M5 well suited to low light school plays but not good for sports.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th July 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Hopefully a big improvement on the AF and tracking (or I won't be buying one) but as far as low light is concerned m4/3 will always be behind full frame purely because of sensor size and pixel pitch. No doubt things will improve but it will for full frame too. If you want better low light and a mirrorless camera look at the full frame Sony mirrorless, the bodies are small and fairly light, have excellent low light capabilities and their AF tracking improved over Olympus but of course the lenses are big. Ya canna beat physics and all cameras are a compromise.
Old 25th July 2015

Physics - what a bloomin' nuisance eh ?
I'll take a look at the Sony cameras, of which I know nothing, but fear I may be heading back to Canon just because I am familiar with them, and a S/H 5d3 with a couple of (s/h) lenses might be something I could find the money for while keeping the EM1 for a while until I finally make up my mind.
It'll be such a sad day if I do sell the Olympus as I started out with an OM1 which I still have, and had such high hopes when I got the EM1 but it hasn't quite lived up to my expectations in this one area, and for the last few months I have been so hoping for an upgraded model to be released that sorted out the AF and tracking..
Old 25th July 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

$64000 question!

I suspect we are some time away from comparable performance to top DSLR capabilities. But maybe not far from an acceptable keep rate on moving subjects, heck, even I can get decent BiF keepers with my EM10 and 75-300mm with regularity, but at the expense in a fair few duff shots.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 25th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,626 Times in 938 Posts

I sometimes wonder how we managed to get a decent image back in the old days... Then I remember - Technique. It wasn't easy to learn and cost a lot of wasted film.

Digital makes it so much easier and when combined with some old school techniques, the results can be very rewarding.

http://www.school-of-digital-photogr...us-lenses.html

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (9th August 2015), paullus (26th July 2015), pvasc (26th July 2015)
Old 25th July 2015

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I sometimes wonder how we managed to get a decent image back in the old days... Then I remember - Technique. It wasn't easy to learn and cost a lot of wasted film.

Digital makes it so much easier and when combined with some old school techniques, the results can be very rewarding.
But that would mean learning to use the camera rather than expecting it to do all the work.

David M's Photoblog
brian1208 (30th July 2015), Graham_of_Rainham (25th July 2015), paullus (26th July 2015), Ross the fiddler (25th July 2015)
Old 25th July 2015

Hmm. Not sure if I am reading things wrongly here but the last two posts seem to imply that I need to learn how to use my camera properly.
If that is so, then I will reply by saying that while I am no technical expert and tend to use certain settings most of the time (ie ones that suit my needs) I use any camera as a tool - after all, it is the image that is important. To me, technique is less important than catching a moment.
As such, I can buy something cheap and work with its limitations or buy something more expensive, and hopefully better, to make my life easier. I do expect to put some effort into learning how to use any tool, but if after some time I still struggle then either it is me at fault or the equipment is not up to doing the job the way I want it to, especially if I have bought a top of the range camera that ought to be able to do its job fairly well.

I also feel that having learned photography by using manual focus, learned how to meter by using my eyes then gone on to learn how to use a camera that can do both fairly well most of the time that expecting it to be able to do its part of the job ought not to be too much to ask.

If I have read things wrongly then I apologize. It is late, I am tired and have been more than a little stressed recently (in part due to struggling with my camera) so hope this post doesn't come across the wrong way.
Graham_of_Rainham (26th July 2015), Olybirder (25th July 2015), paullus (26th July 2015), Zuiko (25th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts

Sometimes there are work arounds you have to try, and adopt. It is clear C-AF with tracking is not that great, it is a given. My frustration is using S-AF then everytime I take another shot the camera refocuses, and misses focus or I miss the shot. So I am learning to use back button focus combined with S-AF/Manual focus with peaking. If the camera can't get the job done properly then I will. What does this achieve? Well I focus on a mid point, then check the area where the action is to see what is in focus using peaking. For instance yesterday I was at Donnington Park up on the hill outside of the track, (as opposed to the infield), by the Old Hairpin. I set the focus at the end of the Craner Curves, I had the area from Hollywood tun all the way to Starkeys bridge in focus.

I don't know if this would work for you, I haven't taken any sports, (football), photos since I was told it is not allowed a couple of years ago, and that was with the E-30.
The Following User Says Thank You to pvasc For This Useful Post:
stevewestern (26th July 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (26th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 4,077 Times in 1,504 Posts

Have a look at the reviews of the Panasonic GX8 as this the latest camera in m43 and likely a new em1 would have similar abilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beagletorque For This Useful Post:
stevewestern (26th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasc View Post
Sometimes there are work arounds you have to try, and adopt. It is clear C-AF with tracking is not that great, it is a given. My frustration is using S-AF then everytime I take another shot the camera refocuses, and misses focus or I miss the shot. So I am learning to use back button focus combined with S-AF/Manual focus with peaking. If the camera can't get the job done properly then I will. What does this achieve? Well I focus on a mid point, then check the area where the action is to see what is in focus using peaking. For instance yesterday I was at Donnington Park up on the hill outside of the track, (as opposed to the infield), by the Old Hairpin. I set the focus at the end of the Craner Curves, I had the area from Hollywood tun all the way to Starkeys bridge in focus.

I don't know if this would work for you, I haven't taken any sports, (football), photos since I was told it is not allowed a couple of years ago, and that was with the E-30.
Thanks for your reply - I have tried all sorts of methods, with some success, but still feel that my camera/tool should be able to do its job maybe better than it does.
I know it cannot compete with, for example, the Canon 1DX. I also know that I have yet to feel confident that my shots will turn out much of the time given how often I seem to fail to get them in focus.
While I have a soft spot for Olympus I have no brand loyalty - I just want a camera that will do what I want, and having invested a fair bit of money into the system am still hoping that an upgrade/software revision will sort out the weaknesses enough for me to be happy to carry on with it.
M43 mirrorless has so many advantages that I so want to stay with it, but so far the compromises for me are making it difficult.
Old 26th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Have a look at the reviews of the Panasonic GX8 as this the latest camera in m43 and likely a new em1 would have similar abilities.
OK, thanks for that - It would be great to get some idea of how things are developing..
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

Get ready to be impressed, about 3/4 of the way through the video...WOW

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/ni...w/Mjg0MzA1MDMx
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (26th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

I think the short answer is 'no'.

I'm in the camp that is happy to make do with limitations of my gear (and recently used an ancient Oly E-1 at the London Triathlon to pretty good effect) but there's no denying that for rapid action sports or some wildlife applications (eg BIF), there is a big difference between mirrorless (and I don't see the Sony's doing any better here) and high end dSLRs.

It might be worth experimenting with the dot sight to see if that helps at all (so you don't need to worry about the EVF refresh rate) but other than that I suspect that C-AF will still lag behind dSLR and I'm not sure the GX-8 will be much better - my impression is that Panasonic have rather given up on trying to address this - their solution instead is to grab 8MP JPEG stills from their 4K video mode .... but the quality does not compare with a decent 16MP+ raw.
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

I feel that while technique is a major factor it is not the most important. Like I said I can get decent shots with my EM10 but with nowhere near the keeper rate that my friends with better canikon cameras get. Technique only gets you so far!

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/