Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 30th July 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
Re: E-M1 not vs, but also D750.

Just a couple of facts......

The area of the Nikon sensor is 3.84 times that of the Olympus and has 50% more pixels.

Doesn't this make people think of vast IQ improvement, it does me.

Bravo E-M1...
Old 30th July 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
gear has advances so much now that we should be all past the pixel thing. My nikon d100 was something 6 mega pixels and we printed and sold 24-30 inch photos from the jpg files

Even peter eastway said we only really need 20 mp; although he does use a phase one!! I certainly don't have any need any more than em1 these days; however those bigger sensors are better in the very low light

Some gear quotes I have collected or thought up.

>>There are no bad cameras these days however some are better than others

>>Better gear doesn't = better photography

>>By Darwin Wigget
The one thing I do know is that if I shoot with a 45, a medium format film camera, a point-n-shoot digital or film camera, or a high end DSLR that my photos still end up all looking the same. I have not yet found a camera that improves my photography!! Doh!
Doh! Seems that the person behind the lens really has a lot to do with what the camera does go figure eh?

>>We (me too in the past) tend to waste so much money trying to buy better photography

>>when learning: less gear = less confusion = less bad photos
The IQ obtained from my EM1 compared to my Canon 7DII is for my purposes very similar, I have done many comparisons with different lenses and subjects. Where the Canon scores for me is in AF performance, more intuitive menu and the availability of a much greater range of lenses and accessories, IQ isn't a major factor.

David
Old 30th July 2015

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts

I'd say that some of the nicest ( to my eye ) shots I've taken in the last 18 months were with a Fuji xf1 which only has a 12mp sensor, such as this

out of the darkness ( explored - thank you ) by damianmkv, on Flickr

Right place right time sometimes
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (4th August 2015)
Old 30th July 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I own the 12-40 and the Nikon 50 1.8 on a 16MP Nikon DF. The 12-40 is sharper to my eyes by a fair margin. The Sigma art 50 1.4 is on the same ballpark though.

I've always been impressed with the sharpness of the photos from my EM-1. It's fantastic as long as you don't feel the need to study the images at 1:1.. The higher end lenses are as good as you could wish for and the large DOF helps with not buggering the focus. :-)
Old 30th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,154 Posts

The light changed significantly between these shots (just look at the shadow of the fly in the EM1 picture) which is why the Olympus shot seems to have horribly burnt out highlights and apparently much less dynamic range than the Nikon.

Conversely, the D750 was shot at f4.5 and the EM1 at f7.1, which is why the image from the Nikon appears to be less sharp.

I'm afraid there are too many inconsistencies in the way these shots were taken for there to be any meaningful comparison.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th July 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The light changed significantly between these shots (just look at the shadow of the fly in the EM1 picture) which is why the Olympus shot seems to have horribly burnt out highlights and apparently much less dynamic range than the Nikon.

Conversely, the D750 was shot at f4.5 and the EM1 at f7.1, which is why the image from the Nikon appears to be less sharp.

I'm afraid there are too many inconsistencies in the way these shots were taken for there to be any meaningful comparison.
The Nikon Lens is sharpest at around 5.6. It's sterling for the centre 2/3 from about 2.8 - I'd presume the issue is DOF/shake rather than sharpness.- The Oly lens starts hitting diffraction up around those F 7+ apertures as the pupil is so small.

Yeh it's not a comparison, rather just two photos took with two different cameras!
Old 30th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_ View Post
The Nikon Lens is sharpest at around 5.6. It's sterling for the centre 2/3 from about 2.8 - I'd presume the issue is DOF/shake rather than sharpness.- The Oly lens starts hitting diffraction up around those F 7+ apertures as the pupil is so small.

Yeh it's not a comparison, rather just two photos took with two different cameras!
Yes, I meant that the Nikon shot appears less sharp due to much less depth of field, rather than any implied criticism of the optics. I agree that at f7.1 diffraction starts to become an issue with the Olympus, but only quite marginal at that aperture.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th August 2015

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
To reiterate....It's the GREAT E-M1 for me.
Saved myself about 1700 as well,
quick wot lens/s can I buy, M4/3 of course.
Hi Dave.
I have several lenses which I use on my EM-1 including 4/3 which need an adapter. My M/FT 12-40mm Pro lens used to have pride of place, it is an exceptional lens. However since buying the new weather sealed 14-150mm f4-5.6 II lens it has hardly been off my camera. It is a brilliant walkabout lens.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 4th August 2015

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianmkv View Post
I'd say that some of the nicest ( to my eye ) shots I've taken in the last 18 months were with a Fuji xf1 which only has a 12mp sensor, such as this

out of the darkness ( explored - thank you ) by damianmkv, on Flickr

Right place right time sometimes
Reminds me very much of an oil painting I have by Daniel Sherrin!

http://www.rowlesfineart.co.uk/Artis...Daniel+Sherrin

Jim