Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 10th November 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
CF Card issue

Earlier this year (just after the warranty expired of course) I had a problem with the card holder on my E510. I took it to a local camera repairer who told me the pins that slot into the CF card had bent and it cost me almost 100 to repair it. He also told me that it was a common problem with CF cards and it was a question of when, rather than if, it will happen again. His advice is to use a large capacity card and transfer shot via the USB cable rather than keep removing the card. Has anybody else had this problem? Any other thoughts on the matter?

Paul
Old 10th November 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: CF Card issue

4 bodies and card transfer every time - I am afraid I take the view that the pins are in the right position and need some external influence for them to get bent...

it clearly does happen (from posts here and elsewhere) but the incidence seems extremely low.
Old 10th November 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: CF Card issue

[QUOTE=photo_owl;56968]I am afraid I take the view that the pins are in the right position and need some external influence for them to get bent...

QUOTE]

You could well be right. I did remember some time after the problem arose that I once tried to use one of those multi card readers which promptly fell apart. It may have damaged the card which in turn may have bent the pins.