Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 15th September 2009

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
"Perfect Cheadle"

While on holiday in the Peak District we visited Pugin's masterpiece St Giles Cheadle. I hope the images do it some justice.

My thanks to the local chap on duty who not only unhesitatingly gave permission but opened the Rood Screen gates to enable me to photograph in the Sanctuary.

Flickr
Old 15th September 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: "Perfect Cheadle"

What a 'dramatic' interior, so many details crammed into such a small space. Very characteristic of a certain style of church decoration.

Must admit I'm glad my local churches mostly aspire to a more austere style of decoration - how is the photographer to make it all explicable in 2 dimensions?

I particularly like the last shot which has the assault of overpowering glory (surely the architects intention).

I wonder what I would have done (big/wide and distant with massive dof?, close and shallow isolating just one candlestick and cross?).

Interesting set - almost a lifetimes work to be found in photographing just one interior.

Thank you

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 15th September 2009

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

I'm impressed with the quality of the interior lighting. Was that how it was, or did you bring your own??

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I'm impressed with the quality of the interior lighting. Was that how it was, or did you bring your own??

Pete
You put a 1 coin in a meter and got that lighting for 15 minutes !

Flickr
Old 15th September 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
You put a 1 coin in a meter and got that lighting for 15 minutes !
Much better than those motion sensitive/timed lights a lot of little churches have - always going on/off during bracketted exposures and creating bright burns on wide shots that have to be cloned down.

Much prefer working with natural light if at all possible.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 15th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
What a 'dramatic' interior, so many details crammed into such a small space. Very characteristic of a certain style of church decoration.

Must admit I'm glad my local churches mostly aspire to a more austere style of decoration - how is the photographer to make it all explicable in 2 dimensions?

I particularly like the last shot which has the assault of overpowering glory (surely the architects intention).

I wonder what I would have done (big/wide and distant with massive dof?, close and shallow isolating just one candlestick and cross?).

Interesting set - almost a lifetimes work to be found in photographing just one interior.

Thank you

Nick
Thank you Nick for your comments. I have a catholic (pun not intended) taste as regards church architecture. It is of course more than likely that prior to the Reformation your local churches were more richly decorated than they are today with brightly coloured wall paintings etc.

I am a great admirer of Pugin. St Giles was built in the early 1840's at a cost of some 40,000, a huge sum, entirely paid for by the Earl of Shrewsbury who lived at nearby Alton Towers. Pugin designed every detail from the cross on top of the spire to the floor tiles. It beggars belief that one man could have done all that. The story is well told in God's architect : Pugin and the Building of Romantic Britain by Rosemary Hill.

Flickr