Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 4,047 Times in 1,857 Posts
Best AA Batteries

I have an outdoor weather station (Maplins)

As its mounted on top of the clothes line pole, and needs a tricky ladder climb to change batteries. The AA batteries need to be the best. So far I have used Duracell and they last about a year...

Are there any longer life batteries for this very slow drain load...………I see there are Lithium AA's which claim to have a higher capacity.

Also, I wonder how old the batteries are that I buy in Tesco...……….

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 171 Times in 116 Posts
Re: Best AA Batteries

I used Lithiums in my Pentax DSLR, outlasted any other AA battery by miles
They were always cheapest in Superdrug mainly because their deals on batteries were very generous
These were the ones I used https://www.batterystation.co.uk/ene...CABEgIBFPD_BwE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tram For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3rd October 2019), OM USer (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 591 Times in 304 Posts

There should be expiry dates on all battery packages .... but I'm sure some makes haven't or they are so small they are practically unreadable.

Have a look at 7dayshop.com they have good selections of batteries at decent prices.

I use Costso's own alkaline batteries for most things and have found them very good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts

My vote is for the lithium batteries. Not only do they last far longer than alkaline, they will supply power in much lower temperatures. I use lithium in an outside motion sensor, and the PP3 type lasts for three years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clockwork Donkey For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 336 Times in 217 Posts

My choice for AA's that are difficult to change because of the position would be Lithium. The problem is they are often sent via courier due to the mail restrictions so maybe added cost involved. Alternatively another vote for 7Dayshop as their Alkaline batteries are priced well and always good quality.

The link below relating to Energizer Lithium AA batteries may be of interest to the more technically minded.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

Jax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3rd October 2019), OM USer (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 2,524 Times in 1,656 Posts

I would suggest Panasonic Eneloop cells which not only have very good long term storage properties but they are rechargeable too. We even use them in door bells and clocks.

It would be easy to arrange some small solar cells to charge the Eneloop cells during daylight.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Keith-369 (3rd October 2019), MJ224 (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 4,047 Times in 1,857 Posts

Yes, never thought to do that. The climb up the washing line post is a bit precarious, I was having thoughts to bring the battery compartment down to a manageable level, as in height. Will look at rechargeables and solar charging....

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 3rd October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I would suggest Panasonic Eneloop cells which not only have very good long term storage properties but they are rechargeable to. We even use them in door bells and clocks.

It would be easy to arrange some small solar cell to charge the cells during daylight.
Rechargeable have a nominal voltage of 1.2Volts, Lithium and Alkaline 1.5Volt. The difference doesn't usually matter with simple devices and 1 or two AA's but with some more sensitive circuits not designed to use rechargeable it can effect performance. A device using 4 AA rechargeable batteries suffers a voltage drop of 1.2 Volts from the start so is not likely to last as long as using Lithium AA which have an actual average start voltage of approx 1.7 Volts.

Agreed a solar cell would maintain a charge but only at the reduced voltage so it all depends on the device being powered, number of AA's and if the circuitry is designed to perform with a lower voltage.

Jax
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Rechargeable have a nominal voltage of 1.2Volts, Lithium and Alkaline 1.5Volt. The difference doesn't usually matter with simple devices and 1 or two AA's but with some more sensitive circuits not designed to use rechargeable it can effect performance. A device using 4 AA rechargeable batteries suffers a voltage drop of 1.2 Volts from the start so is not likely to last as long as using Lithium AA which have an actual average start voltage of approx 1.7 Volts.

Agreed a solar cell would maintain a charge but only at the reduced voltage so it all depends on the device being powered, number of AA's and if the circuitry is designed to perform with a lower voltage.

Jax
Eneloop cells have a slightly higher terminal voltage at about 1.3 Volts, but internal resistance is much lower than disposable cells so their terminal voltage under load is often higher. The discharge curve is also much flatter, with terminal voltage remaining fairly stable until the cell is discharged.

There are ways around this. You could use an extra AA cell to boost the total voltage, or you could use a DC to DC converter to increase the voltage, although this adds to the cost, complication and losses.

If you are expecting the cells to last for a year or more the drain current cannot be any more than a few ľA. That current would be easily replaced by solar cells.

Yet another solution would be to fit rechargeable cells but to recharge these in situ every few months; either by way of a socket on the side of the weather monitoring module, or a cable running to the foot of the washing line pole. A car battery or similar low voltage source would be ideal but you would need some kind of charge controller.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (3rd October 2019), MJ224 (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

This thread has the potential to get as complicated as the "Screenshot" one did earlier

Jax
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 591 Times in 304 Posts

Now you've said it, it seems to me to be the cheapest and easiest solution to bring the battery pack down to a suitable level.

Use whatever batteries you want and no problem changing them, cheap as chips to wire it down to a box with a simple waterproof cover too. Doesn't matter what batteries you use, you're going to have to change them every so often anyway.

The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (3rd October 2019), wornish (3rd October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Liked 148 Times in 90 Posts

Duracell industrial are very good I use them in electrical test equipment as they store well with little loss, and seem to last longer under intense use than other brands I have used.

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/ind...iAAEgI-0_D_BwE

Link above gives a description
MJ224 (4th October 2019)
Old 3rd October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
This thread has the potential to get as complicated as the "Screenshot" one did earlier

Jax
Did you use the word 'potential' Jax? I would say that without some resistance form the Mods this thread has plenty of potential and capacitor to become complicated. Just don't induce anyone to become solenoid with it, even for a transient moment.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (4th October 2019)
Old 4th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Did you use the word 'potential' Jax? I would say that without some resistance form the Mods this thread has plenty of potential and capacitor to become complicated. Just don't induce anyone to become solenoid with it, even for a transient moment.
Nigel, I doubt very much if those who modulate the forum, always without bias, would have any effect on the current topic being discussed. If they did, the continuity of the flow would be transformed.

Jax
Old 4th October 2019

Liked 709 Times in 378 Posts

Now many batteries do you use in it? If the voltage is around the 3.7Vdc, you could mod it to use one of those Solar rechargeable Lithium. Then it would last a pretty long time.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (4th October 2019)