Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th August 2019

Liked 321 Times in 210 Posts
Re: Who cares??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
On the litter front, this country is a disgrace. There have been no major public campaigns on litter for at least 30 years so far as I remember. We reap what we sow.
Totally agree Paul. Another factor to consider regarding litter is that Local Councils have drastically reduced the number of litter bins etc. in town centres as part of their cost cuts. I suspect they have also reduced the frequency any bins are emptied. The few in our town are always overflowing with litter.

The same applies to public toilets which seem to have vanished from the face of the earth. If they haven't vanished they're closed and boarded up.

When I had a few days in the USA recently, I mentioned how clean and litter free the streets seemed to be. The reply was " Why would we want to dirty our own city ?" The USA has a lot to answer for but it's generally a lot cleaner and the people far more environmentally aware of such things as litter than we will ever be. They also have a lot more police officers on foot patrol. If you do drop litter it can be a costly error.

Jax
The Following Users Liked This Post:
999RAR (10th August 2019), MJ224 (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019

Liked 4,002 Times in 1,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
On the litter front, this country is a disgrace.
As an ex land surveyor, I used to carry out topographic surveys of roads in South Wales. I could almost guarantee there would be a drinks carton (tin, plastic or waxed paper) lying discarded every 5 metres along the kerb side.

We (British) are generally a mucky lot. No pride in our environment......

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 6th August 2019

Liked 465 Times in 222 Posts

It all comes down to standards and morals which in this country have declined so rapidly in the last 30 years that no ones cares anymore. The breakdown in society has created many problems. I too am ashamed of my country, forget politics it has nothing to do with that its about how we present ourselves....not everyone here is painted with the same brush there are good people trying their best to make a difference but its all undone by those who just don't give a ****.
I've travelled into other countries and yes some are better but you don't need to venture too far off the 'tourist' trail to find things are similar.

There is not enough enforcement to stop people littering when was the last time you heard someone being fined for dropping litter?? or not picking up dog poo, notices everywhere but no enforcement.....but of course we should not be reliant on enforcement as it should be taught from an early age that it is not acceptable.

Living close to the A14 the number of bottles full of urine as lorry drivers have no-where to stop for a break and then just toss them out of the window is staggering, and charging people to dispose of certain waste at the waste depots is just making lazy people fly tipping builders rubbish....what are we coming to in our country. Fast food outlets where people just throw away empty or half filled containers of food is another area of concern and yet local councils allow yet more of these type of outlets to spring up everywhere....their tax bills should reflect the cost of cleaning up the rubbish...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (6th August 2019), MJ224 (6th August 2019), pdk42 (6th August 2019), TimP (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

Referred to as "driver tizer" on a TV prog about the management of the UK highway network
Old 6th August 2019

Liked 764 Times in 524 Posts

So are these lorry drivers filling a plastic bottle while driving? Would they have a handy funnel? The mind is starting to boggle!

All the threats of fines, I suspect, come to nowt. I’d like to see the stats on how many people are actually fined. They should all be hit with the max fine and maybe then might other people take some notice and change their behaviour. Don’t even get me started on dog sh1t either.
Old 6th August 2019

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Hypocrisy seems to be built into Humans!
Einstein said that only two things were unlimited: time/space and human stupidity.

Harold
MJ224 (6th August 2019)
Old 6th August 2019

Liked 465 Times in 222 Posts

TimP...don't ask how they fill it up, if it is whilst driving that's some challenge my wife reckons I miss aiming at a full size loo! so i would think that would be something they would stop to do, but to then throw it out of the window is a common practice so I believe....

'Driver Tizer' not to be confused with the real thing...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (6th August 2019)