Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

View Poll Results: Are you getting fed up with Brexit and should we go back to discussing other things ?
YES - Close the thread 21 47.73%
NO - Keep the debate going on for eternity 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2018

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
From my understanding, it isn't just collaboration with Europol that is at risk. I believe we have exppressed a wish to continue as before but resistance is coming fron the EU? In addition, we are being refused use of the upcoming Geo-satellite system - which we have paid into.
I think the key to it all is that when we leave the E.U., the E.U. will have no say in what we do. We won't even be obliged to notify them of any changes to the way we operate. That's why they need to clse the door on many collaborative projects.

Jim
Old 15th August 2018

Quote:
Although (as you all may have gathered!) I believe that Brexit will be disastrous for the U.K., I accept that it will have to happen. The years that will follow will be of unprecedented austerity and the groundswell of opinion that the decision to leave was a huge mistake will put pressure on politicians to rejoin. Metaphorically, it will be a period of the U.K. public enduring massive doses of castor oil to purge the nonsense of Brexit out of their system, and bring them to their senses!

Jim

(I see the vote has now been 'manipulated' to close the thread!)
Old 15th August 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Although (as you all may have gathered!) I believe that Brexit will be disastrous for the U.K., I accept that it will have to happen. The years that will follow will be of unprecedented austerity and the groundswell of opinion that the decision to leave was a huge mistake will put pressure on politicians to rejoin. Metaphorically, it will be a period of the U.K. public enduring massive doses of castor oil to purge the nonsense of Brexit out of their system, and bring them to their senses!

Jim

(I see the vote has now been 'manipulated' to close the thread!)
Jim, it wasn't the mods who added the poll to this thread and we are not bound by it. Neither do we need to manipulate it - if we consider there is a need to close the thread we will close it. In the end it all comes down to how the debate is conducted by the members. We have decided to leave the thread open overnight and see how it goes.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Jim, it wasn't the mods who added the poll to this thread and we are not bound by it. Neither do we need to manipulate it - if we consider there is a need to close the thread we will close it. In the end it all comes down to how the debate is conducted by the members. We have decided to leave the thread open overnight and see how it goes.
Yeah, I know - I was being ironic (do we have an emoji for 'ironic'?!!

Jim
Old 15th August 2018

Thanked 1,138 Times in 712 Posts
Liked 1,474 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Although (as you all may have gathered!) I believe that Brexit will be disastrous for the U.K., I accept that it will have to happen. The years that will follow will be of unprecedented austerity and the groundswell of opinion that the decision to leave was a huge mistake will put pressure on politicians to rejoin. Metaphorically, it will be a period of the U.K. public enduring massive doses of castor oil to purge the nonsense of Brexit out of their system, and bring them to their senses! Jim
They do say that the easist person to con is another con artist.

By this token we are all con artists, which is why we are where we are, and why I'm still convinced, that Baldrick's 'cunning plan' is right on schedule.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 15th August 2018

Liked 1,647 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Sorry don't agree with the expats case.

If they are so keen on the UK why live elsewhere?

My Flickr
Old 15th August 2018

Quote:
I think the key to it all is that when we leave the E.U., the E.U. will have no say in what we do. We won't even be obliged to notify them of any changes to the way we operate. That's why they need to clse the door on many collaborative projects. Jim
I would have thought, that at the level(s) of security we are talking about, it stands to reason there has been, and always will be, certain aspects that are not shared.

As for our beingl locked out, our troops in NATO - if I understand correctly - will be blocked from using/ receiving info from the new version(s) of satellite GPS. If, - and it is a big IF - true, then we all, really have lost the plot.

The latest incident in London that took place today was, - according to the reports - 'apparently' caused by an individual being in the UK to obtain an UK passport. Given that we've out-sourced passport production must surely raise more than Roger Moor's eybrow.

Old 15th August 2018

Quote:
Given that we've out-sourced passport production must surely raise more than Roger Moor's eybrow.
Yeah - I'd forgotten about that one!. I'm so, so looking forwards to seeing our new blue/black 'sovereign' passports with 'Printed in the European Union' on them!

Jim
Old 15th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I doubt very much that the legal beagles will use that argument to toss it out. Especially when they can milk the system for untold 000,000k.

If, as has been suggested, we all kept to the status quo regards UK/EU residents, this problem, along with some others would not have arisen. It takes a certain kind of cretin to create issues when, with common sense... ?

Old 16th August 2018

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post

Well said!

Harold
Old 16th August 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Well said!

Harold
Even more to the point is, why are various high-profile and rich Leavers leaving the UK to go and live elsewhere, if the Utopia that we will have after Brexit is so precious to them?
Old 16th August 2018

Quote:
I doubt very much that the legal beagles will use that argument to toss it out. Especially when they can milk the system for untold 000,000k.

If, as has been suggested, we all kept to the status quo regards UK/EU residents, this problem, along with some others would not have arisen. It takes a certain kind of cretin to create issues when, with common sense... ?
H'mm; I did some research regarding the number of Poles who came here in 2014, when that issue was causing howls of protest. What I discovered was that more Indians came here that year than Poles, according to the Office for National Statistics. No-one raised any concern about Indians coming here in such numbers; why not?
Old 16th August 2018

Liked 2,511 Times in 1,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Even more to the point is, why are various high-profile and rich Leavers leaving the UK to go and live elsewhere, if the Utopia that we will have after Brexit is so precious to them?
Probably the same reason that wealthy Remainers keep their money in the Cayman Islands or Lichtenstein. It suits them.

I just wonder how many of those who are worried about the effects of Brexit on the UK economy continue to use Amazon?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Darkroom (19th October 2018), wornish (16th August 2018)
Old 16th August 2018

Liked 2,511 Times in 1,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
H'mm; I did some research regarding the number of Poles who came here in 2014, when that issue was causing howls of protest. What I discovered was that more Indians came here that year than Poles, according to the Office for National Statistics. No-one raised any concern about Indians coming here in such numbers; why not?
Because they would have been branded 'racist' for doing so.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (16th August 2018)
Old 16th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Probably the same reason that wealthy Remainers keep their money in the Cayman Islands or Lichtenstein. It suits them.

I just wonder how many of those who are worried about the effects of Brexit on the UK economy continue to use Amazon?
Whatever I have researched about the issues involved, and over the 3 1/2 years I have contributed monthly to the political magazine, that's a helluva lot of research, I have found so many issues where the truth is very different from the various things claimed, and particularly that many issues that I would have thought critical, haven't even had a mention in the press. I think the whole issue is driven by the very rich who see opportunity after Brexit to make themselves even richer to an extent that they couldn't within the limitations imposed by the EU regs. Whatever happens, you can guarantee the rich will profit from it. It will be us plebs who have to suffer. 'Twas ever thus,
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bengeo (16th August 2018)
Closed Thread