Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III Third-generation E-M5

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Re: E-M5 III reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
The original E-M1? For the 12-100, the E-M1 mk ii would be a very significant upgrade (and money can be saved by not buying new).
I would be genuinely interested to hear in what ways the the MkII would be a 'very significant upgrade'. I find the image quality of the Mk1 to be excellent, so it is hard for me see how much more I would get with the Mk2. Every time a deal on the Mk2 appears, I think 'should I buy it?' But I only really use the Oly for landscapes now, so improvements like better high ISO performance and pro capture etc are an irrelevance. So, I struggle to find a justification for the significant expense of the Mk2 now that the bulk of my photography is done with the Canon system.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Complaints about a camera being too small beat me!

I'm 6' 4.5" with a hand span 1/4 meter (250mm), yet I can handle my E-P5 easily!

How big are the hands of those that would find an E-P5 too small?

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I don't really see that.

I have an E-P5 that I use with my old 4/3rds lenses. With a big camera relative to the lens you hold the camera and support the lens. With a small camera and big lens, you hold the lens and support the camera.

Jim
Pick up a bag of potatoes. Is it easier to hold it at arms length or next to your body? The latter, obviously. When the centre of gravity is further away from the body, it is much harder to hold something steady. The same applies to the camera. Big lens and small body has to be harder to hold from a purely mechanical point of view (the leverage the weight imposes on your arms is increased).

The Oly system means my left arm has to do a lot more work (as you say, supporting the lens) and over several hours I can no longer hold the camera steady enough to pan cars at a slow shutter speed. The small body means I also find it harder to hold the camera tightly without causing pain in my right hand. Hence, I always ended up using a monopod.

I switched to Canon because I was tired with the unpredictable AF and poor build of the EM1i's (I have two, both have been fixed under warranty).

I could have gone for the EM1 Mk2, but when I bought the 7DMk2 and the 70-300 L lens (over two years ago) , it was less than the cost of the EM1ii body on its own. So, I thought it worth trying something different and I am so pleased I did go with the Canon. Not only does the AF trounce the Mk1 EM1, the optical viewfinder is bliss after the EVF. (I do miss not being able to playback images in the VF though).

The fact that I could ditch the monopod took me a while to realise because I thought, with the system being heavier, I would need it more. But, when I realised how important the weight distribution and better grip are, I found I no longer needed the monopod. The extra freedom this gives cannot be underestimated. I can follow and zoom in and out on cars through corners (with AF active and tracking) and get a much wider variety of shots. I can do things with the Canon that I would have found impossible on the Oly.

The point of this is not to rubbish the m4/3 system (which I have spent 1000's on and still use and love for the fabulous lenses) but to say that my actual experience is that smaller is not better when it comes to action photography. Even if the EM1 Mk2 had AF that matched the Canon, I still wouldn't switch back to m4/3 because I would loose the other benefits as described above. In fact, even if the EM1x came down to something affordable, I would still hesitate unless someone proved the EVF lag was negligible.

Mark
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:

I'm 6' 4.5" with a hand span 1/4 meter (250mm), yet I can handle my E-P5 easily!

How big are the hands of those that would find an E-P5 too small?

Jim
I'm just under 6'1" and my hands are no where near that big. But I find the EM1 Mk1 results in pain in my right hand after prolonged use which i don't get with the bigger Canon. This is probably because I have intermittent carpal tunnel problems though.

To me, it is not just a question a whether the smaller body is too small. It is a question of whether a bigger body would be BETTER. If I'm lugging big lenses around, the benefit in terms of size and weight of a smaller body seems quite marginal. But if I can hold it comfortably all day, than that is a real advantage to me.

Mark
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 360 Times in 150 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

It seems to be that the ergonomics of body size, lens weight etc are entirely a matter of personal preference. The arguments can become pointless as it's each to their own taste. I am significantly taller than either Mark or Jim and my hand span is 245mm. Ever since my Minolta MF days I have used a grip and battery holder on any camera which takes one, even the small grip for the EM10ii. I like it that way and it suits my style of photography but I certainly won't criticise anyone who thinks differently (or who uses a different camera system).

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
It seems to be that the ergonomics of body size, lens weight etc are entirely a matter of personal preference. The arguments can become pointless as it's each to their own taste. I am significantly taller than either Mark or Jim and my hand span is 245mm. Ever since my Minolta MF days I have used a grip and battery holder on any camera which takes one, even the small grip for the EM10ii. I like it that way and it suits my style of photography but I certainly won't criticise anyone who thinks differently (or who uses a different camera system).
David,

You're being far too nice! remember anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong, possibly even a traitor!

Regards
D Trump
Melaka (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 249 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
I would be genuinely interested to hear in what ways the the MkII would be a 'very significant upgrade'. ............But I only really use the Oly for landscapes now...................

If you only do landscapes then the E-M1 Mk.ii may not be a significant upgrade for you.

For me, interested in wildlife photography, the improvement in speed of operation was profound. If I was tracking a subject with my dot-sight, the Mk.i was very unreliable in gaining focus, whereas I can trust the Mk.ii to get the shots. From the specs., it looks as though the E-M5 Mk.iii will do so too.
griffljg (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 168 Times in 114 Posts

Strange how so many people spend ages keenly anticipating the new model then go to great lengths saying why they won't be buying it.

Knew I wouldn't be buying one, but my daughter has been waiting for its release and expect she will take the plunge at next years Photo Show.
It looks very nice and if I were in the market for a new camera it would be on my shortlist
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
If you only do landscapes then the E-M1 Mk.ii may not be a significant upgrade for you.

For me, interested in wildlife photography, the improvement in speed of operation was profound. If I was tracking a subject with my dot-sight, the Mk.i was very unreliable in gaining focus, whereas I can trust the Mk.ii to get the shots. From the specs., it looks as though the E-M5 Mk.iii will do so too.

Thank for for that, which is the sort of feedback I was wanting. Also useful to know you found the AF in the Mk2 was a big step up from the Mk1.

Mark
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 708 Times in 377 Posts

Does the new cam have assist modes? Like that Panorama?

All my garbage so far.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:

Jim
I don't know how the E-M5 range size compares with the E-M10 range but I had a play with my son's E-M10ii and had great difficulty operating the cursor keys. If the E-M5iii is smaller than the E-M10ii then I would imagine that only small children's fingers could operate the buttons

My E-M1s are just about manageable for me.

Steve
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 147 Times in 90 Posts

A plastic camera! Is this a good thing?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 168 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
A plastic camera! Is this a good thing?
With modern materials its a bit like saying is a plastic F1 car a good thing.

How many polycarbonate cameras have you seen broken? In my case that would be none.
How many other everyday items are made of "plastic" these days. Answer is loads and they don't disintegrate if dropped or knocked.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 249 Times in 156 Posts

It's a bit like cars - you don't reject the whole package because you don't like where they've put the foglight switch.