Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 14th October 2019

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
Re: Panasonic 100-400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
It is stiff, and not very smooth, with the zoom lock off, but it is less stiff after a couple of years of infrequent use.

I got caught out recently, wondering why I couldn't get the close shots I wanted of dragonflies. I realised, when I got home, that I must have knocked the focus limiter (something I never use) into preventing focus closer than 5m.

Harold
The secondhand Tamron I have for my dreaded Nikon DSLR usually spends so long hunting for focus that my target has flown off by the time the picture takes.
I have tried the limit switch in the 15-∞ position but that's no use for close up, and with birds in flight it is very unlikely to find the bird.

I have an ancient Pentax 6x7 100mm macro lens which I use with a tilt-shift adapter and that glides so smoothly under it's own weight that you can only take horizontal macro pictures. It's does produce beautiful results, but doesn't have a lock which is very frustrating as many macro pictures need to be on a tripod and very prone to lens creep and camera shake.
I think a bit of stiffness is preferable to that silky gliding.
Old 14th October 2019

Liked 3,382 Times in 1,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
The secondhand Tamron I have for my dreaded Nikon DSLR usually spends so long hunting for focus that my target has flown off by the time the picture takes.
I have tried the limit switch in the 15-∞ position but that's no use for close up, and with birds in flight it is very unlikely to find the bird.

I have an ancient Pentax 6x7 100mm macro lens which I use with a tilt-shift adapter and that glides so smoothly under it's own weight that you can only take horizontal macro pictures. It's does produce beautiful results, but doesn't have a lock which is very frustrating as many macro pictures need to be on a tripod and very prone to lens creep and camera shake.
I think a bit of stiffness is preferable to that silky gliding.
I had the severe hunting problem with the Olympus 4/3 70-300mm on my EP-2. The problem is absent on the EM1 but I no longer use the lens.

RE: "many macro pictures need to be on a tripod" I hand-hold all my macro, sometime working on an outdoor (pub type) table, where some shots let me support via my elbows. If support its needed, it is for off-camera flash. I shoot macro almost every day.

Harold
Angelica (14th October 2019)
Old 14th October 2019

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
I had the severe hunting problem with the Olympus 4/3 70-300mm on my EP-2. The problem is absent on the EM1 but I no longer use the lens.

RE: "many macro pictures need to be on a tripod" I hand-hold all my macro, sometime working on an outdoor (pub type) table, where some shots let me support via my elbows. If support its needed, it is for off-camera flash. I shoot macro almost every day.

Harold
Oh, it can still hunt & it takes a long time to cycle through it's range to get there when it does. I've dug mine out just for laughs & even with an EC-14 recently, just to see how it could perform (on the E-M1 II). If the camera can see to lock focus it isn't bad, but any movement or a less contrasty subject it is a test of patience.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 14th October 2019

Liked 3,382 Times in 1,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Oh, it can still hunt & it takes a long time to cycle through it's range to get there when it does. I've dug mine out just for laughs & even with an EC-14 recently, just to see how it could perform (on the E-M1 II). If the camera can see to lock focus it isn't bad, but any movement or a less contrasty subject it is a test of patience.
My experience with various AF lenses, including the 100-400, is that any confusing background, such as reeds or grass, causes any of them to hunt. If I want to use AF for a dragonfly resting on a leafy twig I have to prefocus on something at a similar distance first to be in with chance.

I would use MF but it is so appalling on the 100-400 that it might as well not exist.

Harold
Old 14th October 2019

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
My experience with various AF lenses, including the 100-400, is that any confusing background, such as reeds or grass, causes any of them to hunt. If I want to use AF for a dragonfly resting on a leafy twig I have to prefocus on something at a similar distance first to be in with chance.

I would use MF but it is so appalling on the 100-400 that it might as well not exist.

Harold
My 40-150 Pro lens (with TC) can hunt too if the subject & AF target area isn't suitably sized etc., but at least it's a very quick cycle, unlike the 70-300 lens. I only briefly tried that 100-400 lens but the Olympus Pro lenses do give good MF control though.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Well it arrived ... My eagerly anticipated Panasonic 100-400mm and I couldn't wait to take it out but it was blowing a gail out there... so I picked a branch of my cherry tree before all the petals blew away and had a practice inside.
https://flic.kr/p/2hCy975

My challenge was to make the blossoms look delicate and translucent and the water drops look crystal clear and wet.

My first impressions: yes, the zoom is a bit too stiff and I had to tighten the orientation release or it would twist the orientation rather than zooming.
It does seem bright enough and crystal clear even with max aperture... but time will tell when I get started outdoors.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (2 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (2 Weeks Ago)