Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Re: What broadband speed do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
If you get that where you live then the speeds should be very fast indeed. I don't think it will happen in the near future despite promises by a certain politician.
I don't think it will happen either, too many logistical problems. Also no economic incentive for providing it. That goes for FTTC in certain areas too or at least not without subsidies
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,502 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
There is also FTTP, the P standing for premises and is fibre all the way.
Yes indeed; but FTTP requires a powered modem box in the premises, without which the phone won't work. It is all a bit like VOIP really, which most of us now use without even knowing it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,332 Posts
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,152 Posts

Yes currently we are on FTTP hence the super fast speeds. The area we are looking to move to definitely doesn't have fibre anywhere closer than a few miles and Sky's most expensive plan offer had average speeds of 7.8-13MB/s with a guaranteed minimum of 5.3Mb/s. I think they must be using pigeons for the last leg!
From what you've all said it sounds like we are likely to see some issues but as the only video we tend to use is via iplayer or the like then we'll probably be ok. Probably not worth paying for any of the fancy HD video services they try to sell then in the future.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

If you have a smart TV ie one with apps eg iPlayer, Amazon Prime , ITV Hub, the Channel 4 offering etc and you have got used to using them then you will be frustrated (or your housemates )will be.

I would find it life impacting to not have a fibre or cable connection.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,643 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Yes currently we are on FTTP hence the super fast speeds. The area we are looking to move to definitely doesn't have fibre anywhere closer than a few miles and Sky's most expensive plan offer had average speeds of 7.8-13MB/s with a guaranteed minimum of 5.3Mb/s. I think they must be using pigeons for the last leg!
From what you've all said it sounds like we are likely to see some issues but as the only video we tend to use is via iplayer or the like then we'll probably be ok. Probably not worth paying for any of the fancy HD video services they try to sell then in the future.
Have you had a look at the latest satellite broadband offerings? I used that quite a few years ago when my landline broadband speed was less than 800KB/sec download. It made use of the Sky dish but is not offered by Sky itself. Out of touch with the latest offerings but maybe worth a look.

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,332 Posts
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,152 Posts

No we don't have a smart TV Derek but would have got one fairly soon as our current one is on it's last legs. I might pay a visit to a local TV store to see what sort of connection they need to check it out. Thanks for the comment.
Dave that's intriguing I hadn't heard of a satellite broadband will definitely check that out
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

You could also look at B4RN (Broadband for the Rural North) who are rolling out high speed broadband to rural areas specifically:
https://b4rn.org.uk/

I don't know much about them but they have been canvassing in this area, however I get high speed fibre-to cabinet from BT with downloads at least 60Mb/s so I'm quite happy with that.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 754 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
No we don't have a smart TV Derek but would have got one fairly soon as our current one is on it's last legs. I might pay a visit to a local TV store to see what sort of connection they need to check it out. Thanks for the comment.
Donít get too hung up on the smart aspect of any so called smart TV you might look at. In my experience the manufacturer soon loses interest in updating the smart part. Youíre better off buying a better TV and sourcing your smarts elsewhere, Amazon Fire, Apple TV or, say, Roku (Roku now sell a TV!). Youíre far more likely to get updates for longer.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 316 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I would find it life impacting to not have a fibre or cable connection.
Wow that's quite an admission and perhaps a sad reflection on today's society and way of life. War breaking out could be said to be "life impacting" as could the death of a loved one, losing your house and home, receiving a diagnosis of a terminal illness or going into permanent life care. Not having a fibre or cable connection would be very low indeed on my "life impacting" list of possible events.

Jax
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 754 Times in 516 Posts

Crap broadband speed would certainly put me off buying an otherwise perfect house. If we stay away in the UK my wife knows to check for decent (claimed!) broadband availability.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,995 Times in 1,827 Posts

It is amazing fact of life that Broadband makes such a decision tricky. I know recently en France (Angers) the Broadband was not very good at all. Actually allowed me just to pack up the computer and get a bit more...……….

Silver lining comes to mind...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Jax - each to their own preferences. Not being very mobile the internet speed is quite important to me.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Also using the Smart facilities in the TV you can get improved picture and sound quality by using the Hi-Res services - eg iPlayer Beta.

I have moved radio reception from FM to streaming via a Sonos set of devices. OK one does not need a high data rate to get a good signal however one does need a reliable service and I found that the Openreach supplied internet was unreliable - the speed was OK at about 65 MBs but the 200 meter run of copper from the FTTC enabled cabinet was not reliable. The copper based co-ax connection I have at the moment is much more reliable, giving us 200MB/s which is not the fastest available speed.

You pays your money and makes your choice.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,643 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Also using the Smart facilities in the TV you can get improved picture and sound quality by using the Hi-Res services - eg iPlayer Beta.

I have moved radio reception from FM to streaming via a Sonos set of devices. OK one does not need a high data rate to get a good signal however one does need a reliable service and I found that the Openreach supplied internet was unreliable - the speed was OK at about 65 MBs but the 200 meter run of copper from the FTTC enabled cabinet was not reliable. The copper based co-ax connection I have at the moment is much more reliable, giving us 200MB/s which is not the fastest available speed.

You pays your money and makes your choice.
Interesting that you have a coax connection not heard of that before unless its cable TV. Can I ask who is the supplier?

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Virgin- it is a Docsis 3.something protocol.
I only have the internet but it supplies the smart TV features plus radio etc.
I have the phone via an Openreach reseller.
wornish (4 Weeks Ago)