Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 16th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: So what do you think about the E-P1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch View Post
Funny my glass is half full

But then I paid over 800 for my E-400 - why because its small and a camera is only good if you have it with you.

Dave
No argument there, but no flash, that is quite annoying I think.
Old 16th June 2009
Paulpp

I have been looking forward to this and it maybe ok, BUT, I wonder about -
1. No viewfinder
2. Holding it in front of my face, whilst watching the screen and trying to zoom the lens with the other hand - perhaps easier in practice than trying to visualise it?
3. Why not a model in black - I was hoping for something that would be useful for candids/street photography where something less obvious than white or silver would be good.
And do I recall a rumour of a second model later this year with a viewfinder? Or it maybe my old age!
Old 16th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulpp View Post
I have been looking forward to this and it maybe ok, BUT, I wonder about -
1. No viewfinder
2. Holding it in front of my face, whilst watching the screen and trying to zoom the lens with the other hand - perhaps easier in practice than trying to visualise it?
3. Why not a model in black - I was hoping for something that would be useful for candids/street photography where something less obvious than white or silver would be good.
And do I recall a rumour of a second model later this year with a viewfinder? Or it maybe my old age!
Point 2 is a very interesting consideration, cant imagine that being very easy, feels like a lot of camera body movement, outstretched arms and awkward hands, only handling it for real would provide the answer, great point you've made there, a try before you buy if ever I saw one!
Old 16th June 2009
Paulpp

Stupid question, but does the fact that the pancake comes with an external VF mean that the screen cannot cope with the angle of view? Or is it just that as the lens is a fixed focal length an external VF is possible?
Old 16th June 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

So...it looks great but...
exposure bracketing is 3 frames +1 0 -1 -> doesnt hit the HDR capture with ease requirements

no electronic shutter - how noisy is it?

multi exposure still jpg only? and still only2 frames

but...

it is in the BLS battery family

so a 620 in a sexy body

Well my head says...620...my heart... but will I cry when the next PEN comes out...or will I be jilted like my beloved E400?
Old 16th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulpp View Post
Stupid question, but does the fact that the pancake comes with an external VF mean that the screen cannot cope with the angle of view? Or is it just that as the lens is a fixed focal length an external VF is possible?
Nothing I've read indicates that the screen can't cope with the angle of view, it would seem as if the because the external VF has the same angle of view as the 17mm pancake its an ideal partner for it. There's some mention of it here, but admitedly, it's not 100% conclusive.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep1/

Its somewhat personal, but the E-P1 does seem to be the sweeter device with the 17mm pancake, small, sexy, f2.8 etc., just a pity there's not a nearly all black option with just the top part in silver metal like there was with the original PEN.
Old 16th June 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,487 Posts
Liked 4,542 Times in 2,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I wish! I think that maybe within six months or so something may emerge.
I've just looked at the ISO6400 example. If Oly now have a sensor that can do this they'd be mad not to bring out an E3 replacement soon. It could be a Canon Killer!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th June 2009

Liked 74 Times in 36 Posts

I'm almost afraid to say.. I dont like it

To me it looks like the Olympus Trip of the 80s. And even though I had one of the 1980s "trips" I could hardly wait to move up to a "proper" camera. Add this to the fact that I like viewfinders, I rarely use the screen as I find it very difficult to see the photos you have taken/are framing up when the weather is sunny... and I dont see me putting my hands in my purse to buy one...

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 16th June 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Like an awful lot of the ageing population accuity of near vision is a problem, so this camera would have to be waved a couple of foot away from my eyes. Now that's probably 'ok' with the two comparitively short lenses on offer, given a reasonably fast shutter speed and a willingness to sort out framing in pp. Couple it to a decent zoom however (something over say a 100mm) then I can forsee real problems for a sizeable percentage of the buying population.

And anyway I like to frame my pictures at the viewfinder and use as many of those expensive pixels as possible in my final picture.

The styling is fine, I quite like the second hand tobacco tin look/size.

The lack of a flash - not an issue, at the end of the day a flash is an accessory and if you are going to use one then it's worth buying a good one.

No lens roadmap (or did I miss something), bit worrying as the current 2 lenses limit its application.

The biggie for me is the lack of an eye level viewfinder - I'm going to need a lot of convincing that I could work without it.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 17th June 2009
Paulpp

Having given it more thought I couldn't agree more. The lack of a viewfinder is a real issue coupled with the colour choice. I don't want to be waving around a white or chrome object and drawing attention to myself - black would have possibly made the viewfinder less of a concern.
But I shall go and see one when they are available.
For the moment I too will need a lot of convincing.
Old 17th June 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I find Nicks comment about framing interesting because the live view image is generally more accurate! I have an Oly 5060 with I use on business trips and although it only has a small screen I find it is far better to frame on that as its 100% where as the view finder is something daft like 82%.

That said using a 300mm on a E-P1 could be fun - unless on a tripod ofcourse.

Dave
Old 17th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think this camera is aimed at the SLR user, as stated by many of you lack of viewfinder and only 2 lenses currently available will put off many SLR users. To my mind it will sell to the compact user who would like an SLR but doesn't want the size.

DP Review has an interview with Akira Watanabe, product planning manager of Olympus's SLR division. He says the emphasis in this model was to make it as compact as possible hence no flash or viewfinder. He states Olympus are now preparing a second model with electronic viewfinder. I think this is the camera which will be aimed at the SLR user.

He also had this to say about lenses, "In Spring, we will launch at least a wide zoom or a high magnification zoom after that we will listen to voices from the market. If customers request prime lenses first, they'll be first on our priorities list. These primes could follow the compact, 'pancake' design of the 17mm lens launched today: "this is our second pancake lens, following the 25mm F2.8 Four Thirds lens. The 25mm was very well accepted - better than we expected, so we will follow customer requests." The full interview can be read at http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...einterview.asp

So while I think the EP-1 looks cute I'll hold off for the next model before I commit myself.

Ian C.
Old 17th June 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The E-P1 does look like a superb camera. I have resisted purchasing any new gear since the M4/3 announcement was made last year, as I am seriously interested in purchasing a more portable system.

Based on what has been announced, I beleive M4/3 may be for me, although I will probably wait another 12 months or so to see how the system grows, and what other lenses will become available.

My guess is that Olympus has a real winner here.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 17th June 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch View Post
I find Nicks comment about framing interesting because the live view image is generally more accurate! I have an Oly 5060 with I use on business trips and although it only has a small screen I find it is far better to frame on that as its 100% where as the view finder is something daft like 82%.

That said using a 300mm on a E-P1 could be fun - unless on a tripod ofcourse.

Dave
Well my comment was based on my experience of how the eye changes as age increases and relates to the reduction in ability to focus on near objects. A common occurrence as one becomes 'richer in experience', hence reading glasses for those not previously needing glasses and vari-focus/bi-focus for the rest. Quite a sizeable proportion of the potential consumer market and therefore a problem for any product that does not cater for their needs.

I would agree that live view does offer potentially 100% coverage - but that's little advantage if to see it you have to hold the camera at 3/4 arms length.

That apart it looks to be an interesting product with a good specification and a useful role as a carry round camera capable of high quality results.

Just a shame that in this iteration I have signifigant doubt that I could really use it.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 17th June 2009

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

No one makes this gizmo (and I claim to have invented it if they do ) but how about a flat lens thing that fits over the display and acts as a diopter adjuster. So then the screen appears to be at a distance so us old gits can focus on it.

Physics probably says that you will lose a lot of viewing angle, but I believe it could be done.. its a big array of microlenses as appear on your average camera sensor. Come on somebody, make this gizmo :-)

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Well my comment was based on my experience of how the eye changes as age increases and relates to the reduction in ability to focus on near objects. A common occurrence as one becomes 'richer in experience', hence reading glasses for those not previously needing glasses and vari-focus/bi-focus for the rest. Quite a sizeable proportion of the potential consumer market and therefore a problem for any product that does not cater for their needs.

I would agree that live view does offer potentially 100% coverage - but that's little advantage if to see it you have to hold the camera at 3/4 arms length.

That apart it looks to be an interesting product with a good specification and a useful role as a carry round camera capable of high quality results.

Just a shame that in this iteration I have signifigant doubt that I could really use it.

Nick

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.