Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P5

Olympus Pen E-P5 The Pen E-P5 is the first Olympus system camera to offer integrated wifi and a top shutter speed of 1/800th second.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29th November 2017
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,797
Thanks: 485
Thanked 629 Times in 545 Posts
Likes: 2,829
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts
E-P5 Questions.

1) Does anyone use the touch screen to fire the shutter? I'm thinking of disabling it as I keep touching it accidentally and taking random images.

2) Does anyone know what Olympus were thinking of when they buried activating the SCP deep in the menu system? It's the most useful menu item.

3) What's the difference between the E-P? and the E-PL? series?

4) Why did Olympus stop at the E-P5, but continue with the E-PL? series?

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29th November 2017
Internaut Internaut is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,067
Thanks: 332
Thanked 328 Times in 306 Posts
Likes: 1,613
Liked 752 Times in 311 Posts
Re: E-P5 Questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
1) Does anyone use the touch screen to fire the shutter? I'm thinking of disabling it as I keep touching it accidentally and taking random images.

2) Does anyone know what Olympus were thinking of when they buried activating the SCP deep in the menu system? It's the most useful menu item.

3) What's the difference between the E-P? and the E-PL? series?

4) Why did Olympus stop at the E-P5, but continue with the E-PL? series?

Jim
1. Strange. I struggle to enable it. Help from others will be along shortly.

3. No idea. I always end up Googling it whenever I set up a new Olympus. Sometimes Google finds threads I started!

2. E-PL are chaeper, with less controls (usually one command dial, one dial for aperture/shutter and and a hard to use dial/cursors). They are also even smaller and lighter.

4. They didnít. The Pen F is the direct successor to the E-P line. Smart move; Leica have just copied Olympus with the CL!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
George Dorn (29th November 2017)
  #3  
Old 29th November 2017
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: E-P5 Questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
1. Strange. I struggle to enable it. Help from others will be along shortly.

3. No idea. I always end up Googling it whenever I set up a new Olympus. Sometimes Google finds threads I started!

2. E-PL are chaeper, with less controls (usually one command dial, one dial for aperture/shutter and and a hard to use dial/cursors). They are also even smaller and lighter.

4. They didnít. The Pen F is the direct successor to the E-P line. Smart move; Leica have just copied Olympus with the CL!
100% agree!
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30th November 2017
AMc AMc is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 119
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
Likes: 964
Liked 482 Times in 229 Posts
Re: E-P5 Questions.

1 - on my E-PL5 and E-M10 I use it frequently. I tend to use it to choose the focus point and then use the shutter but when things are moving fast then press to focus and shoot is very useful eps. if you set the camera to only fire the shutter when it has achieved focus.
It's very handy if you ask non-photographers to take your picture using wide apertures where depth of focus is thin "Just hold the camera steady and touch my face on the screen" usually results in a sharp shot.
You can cycle the function on both my cameras by touching a screen icon that goes touch to focus/touch to focus and shoot/touch screen off (left side with a pointing finger).

2 - On my E-M10 it's on by default, on the E-PL5 I had to enable it.
Cog D>Control Settings>PASM>Live SCP on/off
Then you just press "OK" in shooting mode and up it pops.

3 - E-P series were more expensive and better specified than the "Lite" E-PL AFAIK.

4 - as above. My most desirable keep it in your pocket camera went from the E-P5 to the Pen F
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5th December 2017
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,797
Thanks: 485
Thanked 629 Times in 545 Posts
Likes: 2,829
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts
Re: E-P5 Questions.

The light weight and compactness of my E-P5 is a revelation. I'm also liking the way it handles.

I reported that the camera is in good condition. I suspect that it hadn't been used much. Checking the shutter count showed 444 actuations. Also, the firmware was 1.1.

Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Internaut (5th December 2017)
  #6  
Old 5th December 2017
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: E-P5 Questions.

Make sure you upgrade that firmware to the latest. There was an important addition of EFCS that fixes shutter shock problems.
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 5th December 2017
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,797
Thanks: 485
Thanked 629 Times in 545 Posts
Likes: 2,829
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts
Re: E-P5 Questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Make sure you upgrade that firmware to the latest. There was an important addition of EFCS that fixes shutter shock problems.
Yes, I upgraded it to the latest - 1.7.

Jim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few questions more... Wally The lounge 10 17th March 2015 05:03 PM
OM-D E-M1 questions... Rocknroll59 Olympus OM-D E-M1 8 1st January 2014 10:31 AM
A few questions on the OM-D, please Loup Garou Olympus OM-D E-M5 16 12th June 2012 05:35 AM
E-3 to E-5 questions hillsarealive Olympus E-5 3 31st March 2011 04:34 PM
two questions Roberta Olympus E-620/600 4 12th February 2011 11:53 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger