Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th March 2009
rich s

Re: AP Review of E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The E-30, in my opinion, has better noise performance at the high ISO end, than an E-1 - easily. There is much less chroma noise and the larger number of pixels tends to hide noise anyway.

I also feel the E-30 has better noise performance than the G1. They are both much improved over earlier E-System models, but the E-30 has a more consistent grain structure than the G1.

Ian
Ian - you are exactly right in your thoughts & conclusions about E30 noise.

Undoubtedly better than G1 and E520 (I have both) - and last night I was out till about 8.30pm - on the S.Brittany coast shooting up to 2000 ISO quite happily. So very low light. I find ISO 800 to be virtually noise free, 1600 perfectly useable. ISO 2000 is noisy / grainy, as you might expect, but holds its colour balance.

I used Noiseware Pro, and the filtered image was fine. I still see posts claiming that the E520 has better noise characteristics .... but that is quite beyond me!