Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 30th January 2016

Liked 2,527 Times in 1,658 Posts
Re: Having a good moan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
One trick was too replace the handlebar switches with water resistant ones. IIRC a Kawasaki model matched the switch layout.
That solved some of the problems, but the ignition system still didn't like rain.

Italians and electricity are a dangerous mix!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th January 2016

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
That solved some of the problems, but the ignition system still didn't like rain.

Italians and electricity are a dangerous mix! :d
Some of the 4 cylinder Honda models from that era weren't much better. I remember having to repeatedly wait for a friend as he sprayed WD40 on the ignition coils.

David M's Photoblog
Old 30th January 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Some of the 4 cylinder Honda models from that era weren't much better. I remember having to repeatedly wait for a friend as he sprayed WD40 on the ignition coils.
Ahh yes. I can remember a neighbour spraying WD40 onto the ignition coil of his Vauxhall Corsa, hoping he might be able to limp to the dealer to get a new one fitted.

However, the engine was running at the time, (only on two or three cylinders), but the act of spraying the highly flammable propane/butane and solvent mix onto the faulty ignition coil was enough to turn his can of WD40 into a flame thrower!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
ringneck (31st January 2016), snaarman (30th January 2016)
Old 30th January 2016

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,031 Posts
Liked 1,236 Times in 805 Posts

Another Olympus owner who looked at. C.... And N...... But there was just something about the whole Olympus thing that seemed right, when digital came along I just carried on. The only blip was after the E5 and 4/3 was left out in the cold. An invite to the OMD EM1 launch at Castle Leslie convinced me to stay. I still get the question what type of camera do you use, but not so many strange looks when I say Olympus!
I drive a Terios and have an Android phone and tablet. Seems there are a lot of like minded people in the E Group camp.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 30th January 2016

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

They say you are not a true petrol head until you have owned an Alfa.

Well, I confess I have owned five of the things...

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Otto (31st January 2016)
Old 30th January 2016

Liked 3,387 Times in 1,823 Posts

Quote:
this could become a slippery slope to even worse things; such as Audi ownership.
I owned an Audi in the 70s. The dealer could never set the ignition timing right: I had to do it myself.

One day the engine mounts broke and let it drop though my expensive, stainless steel exhaust pipe. The AA rescue arrived. "G'day mate!" "G'day yourself. My engine has just headed for your homeland"

I now own a Peugeot. Hmmm, any good Audi's for sale?

Harold
Old 30th January 2016

Liked 3,387 Times in 1,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Yes, I have the A7R!

Harold
snaarman (30th January 2016)
Old 31st January 2016

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:

Well, I confess I have owned five of the things...
You must've had good service from them then . I always wanted one but was put off by the reputation, but as of last Thursday I'm on my second. The first, a 2011 Giulietta diesel, didn't cost me a bean in the two years and 17k miles I owned it, apart from diesel and a couple of tyres. A couple of minor issues were fixed under warranty. I'm hoping this new one (petrol) will be just as good ... . Alfa dealers it seems have a pretty poor reputation but my local one, Piccadilly Motors in Knaresborough, cannot be faulted.

Before I bought my (second hand) iPhone I'd watched several friends battling with a variety of Android phones. I already had an iPod Touch so was familiar with iOS and knew that "it just works". My sister has an Android tablet and I can't get my head round that at all. I don't intend "upgrading" my iPhone due to the change of connector, until I absolutely have to, but I'd never pay the new price for one.
Old 31st January 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Hmmm, any good Audi's for sale?
Good Audi's? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st January 2016

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:

Italians and electricity are a dangerous mix!
Had a Renault 11 and had to replace almost everything.....about 4 started Motors....but the on going problem in the wet was the build up on condensation in the Distributor Cap.
At 1st I took into Renault and they said they knew what it was and messed around with the Carb.That was on a Friday and it was just the same over the weekend so after it had dried out i was on their doorstep on Monday....showed them their invoice and told them the problem again and returned at lunch time hoping to drive away.They hadnt even started it and said didnt understand the problem.They messed around again and charged me even more but I refused to pay again until they refunded me for Fridays bill.....they refused and kept my key so I asked to see the top bloke and sat myself in his office and refused to move......he gave me vouchers for petrol for more than the refund.At one time he was going to call the Police so I said I would do it for him.
Still not fixed but I later found out the reason myself and had to keep a screwdriver and spare screws in the car in case of rain.

Now thats wheat you call having a good moan.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 31st January 2016

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
I'm just waiting for grumpy to be fashionable. That would cheer me up...

P
I'm not sure I believe you, I think it would give you more reason to complain. I certainly couldn't think of much that could be worse.

Nigel, wouldn’t the marquetry department be in charge of putting tiger wood buttons on cameras?

I too own android devices but that is far too mainstream for me and am looking for a way out (Cyanogenmod here I come). The last car I officially owned was a Triumph Vitesse Six (the modern Pug is registered in my partner's name).

Where would we go if Olympus became fashionable? I hardly dare to admit this but I've long held a secret desire for Pentax. Perhaps giving up photography for something less fashionable would be an option.

Will
Old 31st January 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
Had a Renault 11 and had to replace almost everything.....about 4 started Motors....but the on going problem in the wet was the build up on condensation in the Distributor Cap.
At 1st I took into Renault and they said they knew what it was and messed around with the Carb.That was on a Friday and it was just the same over the weekend so after it had dried out i was on their doorstep on Monday....showed them their invoice and told them the problem again and returned at lunch time hoping to drive away.They hadnt even started it and said didnt understand the problem.They messed around again and charged me even more but I refused to pay again until they refunded me for Fridays bill.....they refused and kept my key so I asked to see the top bloke and sat myself in his office and refused to move......he gave me vouchers for petrol for more than the refund.At one time he was going to call the Police so I said I would do it for him.
Still not fixed but I later found out the reason myself and had to keep a screwdriver and spare screws in the car in case of rain.

Now thats wheat you call having a good moan.
Good on you Ringneck!

About twenty years ago I had a 2.0 litre Cavalier which developed a noisy alternator bearing. I work in engineering and I knew exactly what the problem was; but didn't have the time or facilities to fix it myself so I took it to our local Vauxhall main dealer.

I explained the situation to the Service Reception staff and walked to the bus stop.

No sooner had I stepped on the bus home I received a phone call from the dealer informing me that the noise was not from the alternator but from one of the cambelt tensioners. Accordingly they recommended a new cambelt and tensioners at a cost of about £250.

I was surprised but gave them the go ahead to replace the cambelt all the same. The bus journey home takes about forty minutes, but before I had stepped off the bus I had another call, this time informing me that the water pump bearings were also noisy, and should be replaced,; with dire warnings that if the water pump bearings fail the engine will be destroyed.

That wasn't the end of it though. I had yet another call advising that something else should be replaced, (I cannot remember what now), but the dealer clearly had a lot of stock in their parts bins that needed to be used up. Indeed, about the only thing they didn't replace was the alternator!

Anyhow, I made my way back to the garage that same evening, paid nearly £500 for the work that had been done, and went to start the car - only to be greeted by the same rasping noise that I had taken it in with in the morning!

I marched back into Service Reception, which was closing by this time, and demanded to know what the h*** they had been doing with the car all day. The receptionist found their Chief Mechanic who was about to go home and asked him to take a look. Within two minutes he announced that the alternator had a noisy bearing, and confirmed this by starting the engine with the fan belt removed!

I was given a full refund there and then, and the keys to a courtesy car for the evening. The alternator was duly replaced and the noise went away!

But why do these people never listen to their customers, especially when it is clear they know what they are talking about!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
ringneck (31st January 2016)
Old 31st January 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willom View Post
Nigel, wouldn’t the marquetry department be in charge of putting tiger wood buttons on cameras?
Probably, although tiger wood shutter buttons are more useful than most marquetry departments that I have had the pleasure to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willom View Post
The last car I officially owned was a Triumph Vitesse Six.
Ohh yes. Good choice.

The Vitesse weighed next to nothing. The six cylinder variant went like stink and had a gorgeous engine note. I also remember they would go up the side of a house in top gear, such was the torque and power to weight ratio.

It was just a shame the chassis seemed to suffer unusually badly from metal worm.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st January 2016

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Nice one Nigel...sure they try it on with everyone......I know for certain Honda fleeced me....like you I didnt have time to do anything and suddenly a long list of stuff needed replacing.

I also had another run in with the afore mentioned Renault dealer - this time they said it needed front discs and I purchased some NEW ones from them after having no luck finding any at a scrap yard. When I took it back for the re-test it passed but they put one of those lists advising things that I need to keep an eye on....and on the lists was Rusty Discs - this made my almost drag the showroom manager over to one of those 80's sports cars they had (with engine at back) and asked him to inspect the discs (think they call them ventilated ).Guess what they were rusty...on a new car that was indoors.....they used to love it when I visited them....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 1st February 2016
Administrator

Liked 554 Times in 301 Posts

Set grumpiness factor to max

never mind those Alfa's I think all cars have got it in for me this week

.. had the Suzuki worked on last week because of an Oil leak, the crankshaft oil seal was leaking, whilst they had the gearbox off they advised a new clutch and a couple of other things so for a £30 part it cost me £700 in parts and labour

Got it back Friday, by yesterday I could tell the leak was 10 x worse than it was when they started

so I tried to start the Land Rover, Battery dead.. OK it's charged now so I stated to relax...

Then. the Mrs has just called from the side of the M4 ... the clutch has gone in the mini, engine running fine, but nothing getting to the wheels. Breakdown truck on the way so if you see a Red Classic Mini Cooper on the side of Junction 30 please wave and smile

You may just cheer up someone who needs it
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (1st February 2016), Naughty Nigel (1st February 2016)