Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 8th September 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2010 AA Low Self Discharge Battery Review - "The big one"

Hi as Jim has pointed out they are available from ebay direct from Vapextech. I bought 8 for a friend recently from them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-AA-2300...item56441ac6f2

Cheers

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainD For This Useful Post:
Old 8th September 2011
DCFC734

i did look honest,

thanks capitain D and jim
Old 10th September 2011
DCFC734

Could you recommend a charger to use with the batteries, thanks
Old 17th September 2011
DCFC734

Bought a charger with som batteries and so far they seem to be ok
Old 24th November 2011
dfr

8 (two packs of 4) VapexTech AAA Instant 950 mAh batteries test.

Low self-discharge NiMH batteries are marketed with over twenty different brand names, but only actually manufactured by five companies: Sanyo, Gold Peak, Yuasa, Vapex and Uniross.

First test was a discharge test, using Discharge mode in MH-C9000 Charger-Analyzer, to test how much charge they retained when they are new, just out of the box (btw, they come with a "free" manufacturer's plastic storage cases):

I. First set of batteries
Discharge with discharge current 200 mA (except for battery # 3, 500 mA).
Capacity:
1. 0 mAh (0 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.11V)
2. 0 mAh (0 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.19V)
3. 269 mAh (36 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.15 V)
4. 219 mAh (72 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.16V)

II. Second set of batteries
Discharge with discharge current 500 mA.
Capacity:
5. 45 mAh (6 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.14V)
6. 112 mAh (15 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.12V)
7. 0 mAh (0 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 0.99V)
8. 0 mAh (0 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 0.98V)

So those "Instant" batteries, are not really instant, are they?

Second test was determining capacity using Refresh & Analyze Mode in MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer: www mahaenergy com / download / mhc9000 pdf

"Refresh & Analyze Mode
First recharges the battery, rest for one hour, discharge, rest, then
recharges again. Charging and discharging rates are programmable.
Reports the discharge capacity at the end of the cycle.
Useful when the battery capacity needs to be determined. Also
useful for battery with degraded performance.
Recommended once every ten cycles for NiMH batteries."

I. First set of batteries
Discharge and charge current 500 mA.
Capacity:
1. 942 mAh (123 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.42V)
2. 934 mAh (122 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.41V)
3. 918 mAh (119 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.41V)
4. 912 mAh (120 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.41V)

II. Second set of batteries
Discharge and charge current 500 mA.
Capacity:
5. 949 mAh (124 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.44V)
6. 921 mAh (120 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.43V)
7. 837 mAh (109 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.41V)
8. 915 mAh (120 min. discharge time, offline battery voltage: 1.43V)

As you can see one batterry is below the specification (which says on the box: Typical capacity: 950 mAh, 1.2V, Min. capacity: 900 mAh, 1.2 V; after 6 months 80%, after 12 months 70% charge retained, use 1000 times and always ready). Each battery weight: 13g.

However, when eneloops are tested, they usually all are below their specification, for example AA enelops are supposed to have min. capacity 1900 mAh, but they really had (as determined by the Refresh and Analyze mode):
1. 1875 mAh
2. 1854 mAh
3. 1828 mAh
4. 1859 mAh

It is worth to mention though, that newer eneloops can be charged and discharged up to 1500 times, and the newests ones up to 1800 times. They also retain their capacity longer (fully recharged new eneloop keeps approx. 70% of power after 5 years of storage, and 90% after one year):
panasonic net / sanyo / news / 2011 / 10 / 06-1 h t m l

On the other hand Vapextech are cheaper. The Instant AAA tested here were sold for 7.75 GBP for 8 (2 packs of 4) including "free" delivery and 2 "free" manufacturer's storage cases.
AAA eneloops (with lower (i.e. 800 / 750) than Vapextech (i.e. 950 / 900) typical and minimal capacity) at the same time are sold in 7dayshop for:
Pack of 4: 5.79 GBP
Pack of 8 in free Interlocking Safe Cases: 11.99 GBP

AA eneloops:
Pack of 4: 5.85 GBP
Pack of 8 in free Interlocking Safe Cases: 11.99 GBP
Old 24th November 2011
dfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post

I wonder if I have had particularly good batches of batteries or whether my lower charging rate is better for the batteries??
Are those values discharge values or charge values? It seems like charge values to me.
In the MAHA MH-C9000 Charger-analyzer you can read:

"Note the charging capacity is usually higher than the actual capacity of the battery owing to some energy lost as heat. Charging capacity
cannot be used to judge the performance of the battery. Instead, it can only be used to determine the progress of the charger. It is normal
for this number to exceed the actual capacity by as much as 20-30%."
www mahaenergy com/download/mhc9000 pdf

That's why MAHa shows discharge values to determine true capacity: "For REFRESH & ANALYZE, BREAK-IN, DISCHARGE mode, the total discharge capacity will be displayed. “AVAILABLE CAPACITY” icon will also be shown."
Old 24th November 2011
dfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
Dear Socrates,

It is really interesting to read about your findings. I think what we are seeing here is the difference in the calibration of our 2 chargers combined with the different charge and discharge rates. I have a high regard for GP as a brand which is why I wanted to include them in my tests.

It certainly does prove that as for any type of testing it should be ideally done using the same calibrated charging equipment. I am so pleased that you took the time to do your own experiments which give another good source of information.

Cheers

Chris
Perhaps he is quoting charging, and not discharging capacity values. Or if his values are also discharging like in the MAHA charger, then his charger must have dicharged them "fuller" than MAHA and/or charged them "fuller" than MAHA (unlikely).
Old 24th November 2011
dfr

Another very good test, which shows how capacity is changing with different load over time:
www candlepowerforums com/vb/showthread.php?79302-NiMh-Battery-Shoot-Out
Old 13th June 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

I bought a set of Hahnel Synergy 2100 before reading this review. It gives those batteries a reasonably good score and so I am pleased.
Old 14th June 2012
Jifl

One possible missing aspect in the review is whether the batteries maintain their voltage. Normally rechargeables have a very flat discharge curve followed by a sudden drop when they run out. However I have had repeated problems with a significant minority of Uniross Hybrios which only keep at 1.2V or above for a relatively short while, and drop to around 1.1V. I've seen this in my intelligent battery charger (which can also monitor discharge). The overall capacity isn't badly affected though (my charger stops discharging at 0.9V). But this .1V can make all the difference to useful operation, especially if you're already substituting for normal 1.5V cells. As a result I don't buy Hybrios any more as there have been too many of such dud batteries. Perhaps any future update of these reviews could also report what their voltage was at the theoretical half-way point of discharge, or perhaps just after a fixed 1 hour of discharge?