Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 13th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally

As I am new here, I had trouble posting pictures, but finally I succeed in placing 2 of my photos here as it should be. Pfff.

The first one is taken in the woods near Apeldoorn and the second one a few weeks ago when it was a grey and frosty day (again). I would like to have your comments. Are there ways to improve them?

10 minutes later: an edit
Oh my ..., I made a mistake, but will leave the picture as it is. I always carry around a compact Sony and the last one is taken with this camera. Should not be on this forum. Sorry for the mistake.

E30 / E-PL1 /14-42 mm 1:3,5-5,6 / 40-150 mm 1:4,0-5,6 / 12-60 mm SWD / 70-300 mm /FL-50R / mFT 14-42 mm

Last edited by tomke; 13th May 2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 13th May 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,167 Posts
Re: Finally

Hi Wilma, nice pictures and well done for working out how to post them. I shouldn't worry about the Sony picture, although we are an Olympus dedicated site first and foremost we are about photography.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th May 2010

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

And I've just posted a panorama that I remembered later was taken with a compact camera, although fortunately it was just to show and explain a photo location!
And interestingly I really loved the second shot too - quick, can you go out and reshoot it on the Oly! Loved the compostition and flat lighting.
In the first, again the composition looks good, and it shows the advantage of flat terrain and straight tracks to give a strong perspective to the image.

If out and about in this type of location, the main elements of the scene would also suit upping the saturation at times to give more impact to the colours - the light green of the leaves and the orangey brown of the leafmould can give some dramatic scenes.
And also looking to shoot it when the side lighting is good to give the vertical trees a strong edge - these trees look like beech trees and their smooth silvery bark can make for some excellent subject matter as they show up the light and shade so well (the upper part of the trees on the right hand side show this contrast).
Also look for this type of woodland over the next few weeks if they have bluebells growing, as the blue of the flowers seems to go well with the silver of the tree trunks.
Good to see these, and hopefully now that you've learnt the means to upload them we'll see a lot more!

Regards
Chris
Old 14th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Wilma,

Welcome to the club.
It is always good to see more fellow countrymen here!
I am sure you will enjoy it here.

(nice pictures, b.t.w. )

Karel
Old 14th May 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Hi there and welcome..

Nice composition in both pictures...

For my tastes I would have the woodland picture a bit darker. I don't know how you normally set your camera, but I would have used Aperture priority, then set (maybe) -1EV of exposure compensation to make the shot darker. Otherwise, good stuff

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 14th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your nice comments. I tried to change the picture accordingly in Photoshop (Elements) and indeed, the image is in my opinion better now. I am not that used to working with Photoshop yet, but that will learn also with the tips you gave me.

As far as the compact Sony is concerned, I am saving money for a Pen (hard time to get there though). The E-30 is a bit heavy to carry around in my bag always (and you know women's bags: always a mess). Therefore I use the Sony, so I have a camera with me at all times. There is one shot I will give you though and I promiss it will be the last non-Olly one. I will upload it in a minute, because I think (but who am I) that it's a good one.

E30 / E-PL1 /14-42 mm 1:3,5-5,6 / 40-150 mm 1:4,0-5,6 / 12-60 mm SWD / 70-300 mm /FL-50R / mFT 14-42 mm
Old 14th May 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Yes I like the second version. And another welcome from me.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.