Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 30th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
m4/3rds Competition?

Predictable? not the brand I expected but in any case.......

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_266661.html

Last edited by theMusicMan; 30th August 2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 30th August 2008

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts
Re: m4/3rds Competition?

Hmm, 404 error!

Jim
Old 30th August 2008

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post Re: m4/3rds Competition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I've edited the link... this should work!

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_266661.html

I guess if Samsung are doing this, a Pentax version will follow?
Old 30th August 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I edited the original too! That should work now as well.

Old 30th August 2008
250swb

Interesting. Didn't think it would be Samsung first, but still expect Nikon and Canon to join the 'small is beautiful' bandwagon before long. Olympus better get their skates on and consolidate the market.

Steve
Old 30th August 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,556 Times in 2,166 Posts

Well, that should answer all the fears expressed here about the viability of MFT - Samsung obviously believe it will be a lucrative new market and are keen to grab a slice of the action with their own system before Oly and Panny achieve total domination.

Now, I reckon that Canon and Nikon are either secretly working on their own formats for his emerging new market or their R&D departments are running around like headless chickens as we speak! (Just pause for a moment and hold that thought!).

Oly won't mind - they are used to being copied by the herd; innovation is their thing and by now they are used to Canon and Nikon re-inventing the wheel. Given that this new market will be all about compact, lightweight cameras and lenses the boot will really be on the other foot regarding sensor size, with Four Thirds having a massive inherent advantage.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we might yet see one of the other big players join the Four Thirds Standard (Oly have magnanimously made it open to all), cap in hand, tail between their legs, and us singing (in true football supporter's style) "It's all gone quiet over there!"

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we might yet see one of the other big players join the Four Thirds Standard (Oly have magnanimously made it open to all), cap in hand, tail between their legs, and us singing (in true football supporter's style) "It's all gone quiet over there!"
Old 30th August 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,556 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I don't think m4/3rds is quite as open as 4/3rds is/was. I'm sure I saw something to that effect in the press release.
Then they'll really have to grovel!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Then they'll really have to grovel!
Oh yes

Then tell them where to get off
Old 31st August 2008

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation Re: m4/3rds Competition?

So really what we have here is similar to mFT, but by different players?

Samsung and Pentax are in partnership on other products, so there may be a Pentax option too. Or, it could be that Samsung have decided that they need to go their own way and produce their own unique products. But for a 2010 launch we are essentially 18 months away, and the digital photography market will be very different by then.

mFT is Olympus and Panasonic. Where are Sigma, Kodak, Leica etc? Going their own way? For a number of reasons, I hope not!

I would doubt if Canon and Nikon are shaking at these announcements. I doubt they are looking to replicate or join either format. Indeed, they could take the view that they are so unbeatable in DX and FX sized cameras that the enemy have run away! Remember they each tried "smaller" cameras with the whole fiasco that was APS.

Rather, this announcement and the mFT announcement have the potential to stall the market. Photokina needs to flesh both proposals in greater depth, and products need to be on sale, in my own personal view, by the end of October this year IF mFT is to have legs rather than wound the full 4/3 standard.

I like the thought of mFT, and hope it produces products that serious photographers can embrace. But we need to see something.