Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 19th June 2008

Liked 904 Times in 293 Posts
OM 1 + lenses

Hi -

I need some advice please from you OM1 experts.

I have been offered an OM1 camera with occasional sticky shutter. I'm not interested in this item.

Also offered are the following:

Vivitar 80-200 in good condition - I'm not interested in this item either.

Olympus 28mm - I am interested if it is of benefit.
Olympus 50mm - I am also interested in this item if of benefit.

A couple of further questions - if the Olympus lenses are keepers what ring do I need and what are they worth in terms of value please.

[Edit: I have the E-510 upgrading to the E-3 in approx 4 months.]

Regards. Barr1e

Last edited by Barr1e; 19th June 2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: see edit above
Old 19th June 2008

Liked 366 Times in 154 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: OM 1 + lenses

I'm certainly not an expert but I wonder why you would want such lenses. Even if you pay peanuts you've still got to buy an adapter. The only thing going for them is that they're fast. Unless this is of particular importance I think you'd be better saving the money towards a 35mm or 50mm four thirds lens or a better quality short zoom such as the 14-54 or 12-60, any of which will complement your E3 or E510 better than some piece of kit that dates back almost to the days of Nicephore Niepce.
Old 19th June 2008

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

The adapter ring you need is the Olympus MA-1, also known as MF-1. It is horribly expensie, so why not try item 320264607586 on eBay. It does the job, and the seller is reliable. There are plenty of others, no doubt also reliable.

Retail price for the two Olympus lenses, assuming in top condition, is no more than GBP60 the pair, I would guess. For that I would expect some sort of guarantee, so discount accordingly. Both lenses likely to be very usable on an E-body, assuming you can focus them effectively.

I don't know the Vivitar lens, would be surprised if it fetched more than GBP25. The OM1 body is eminently repairable, but if in non-working state, is not likely to fetch more than GBP25. Shall we call it GBP100 all in? But I wouldn't pay that, because I wouldn't want the package - nor do you, so discount further!
Old 19th June 2008

Thanks very much for your responses - I'm most grateful. I shall return the items tomorrow.

Kind regards. Barr1e

Last edited by Barr1e; 19th June 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19th June 2008
vicb981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Thanks very much for your responses - I'm most grateful. I shall return the items tomorrow.

Kind regards. Barr1e
Of course, you could try using a film - and avoid worries over dynamic range. The 28mm and 50 mm are both excellent, and I would guess that the Vivitar is very good also. The OM1 looks in vgc but I want one with a body cap, although dust isn't a problem affecting image quality. I'd offer 75 the lot.
Old 19th June 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Wish I'd known Barrie my OM1's and lenses were sold for not a lot.
There are so many OM1's about you can be picky and get a good one.
The 50mm f1.8 ranges from about 15 up.
I was never a fan of zooms, but the Vivitar was well thought of, but I think zooms have come on a lot since then.
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,561 Times in 2,169 Posts

Hi Barrie,

John Foster has done a very comprehensive assesement of all the OM legacy lenses.

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html

He does not recommend either the 28mm or the 50mm that you have the opportunity to purchase. One he does rate highly, however, is the humble 135mm f3.5.

This source can be relied upon as he is recommended by Wrotniak.

Hope this helps.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Zuiko; 19th June 2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: change to layout
Old 20th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These Flickr Groups may also be of interest:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/om-fourthirds50mm/

I think the OM 24mm is particularly interesting in John Foster's test - I'm sure someone who knows more about optics than I do can explain the wide variation between the 21mm (my favourite lens on 35mm), 24mm and 28mm. I have a Tamron Adaptall 24mm f2.5 I'm trying out at the moment on my E1 - unfortunately the OM 24mm requires money needed for other purposes.
Old 20th June 2008

Thanks all -

Regards. Barr1e
Old 20th June 2008
Xpres

I think the gist is - don't be too hasty to dismiss these lenses or their usefulness in a digi'. Depends how much they wanted for them of course.

This link may be of interest
http://forum.mflenses.com/oly-50-1-8...ots-t8029.html
Old 20th June 2008
vicb981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi Barrie,

John Foster has done a very comprehensive assesement of all the OM legacy lenses.

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html

He does not recommend either the 28mm or the 50mm that you have the opportunity to purchase. One he does rate highly, however, is the humble 135mm f3.5.

This source can be relied upon as he is recommended by Wrotniak.

Hope this helps.
Expert he may be but I've been using these for 25 years + and the both are extremely good. The 135/3.5 is not coated but that doesn't seem to put a lot of people off it! I've not seen adverse comments in the press about the 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 over the time I've had mine, even from AP! Both of these have been all over with me - the diaphragm of the 28 mm sticks sometimes on dof preview. My technique may limit the pictures, but the lens quality never has.