Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P3

Olympus Pen E-P3 The third-generation Micro Four Thirds flagship Pen model from Olympus, complete with capacitive touch screen!

Old 5th October 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Early birthday present

I managed to sell my old EP-1 (too cheap I might add) and couldn't wait to get a new PEN.
So I for an early birthday present to myself I bought an EP-3 twin lens kit set.
It in silver eventhough I prefer black, but then again I would have to wait for another 14 days, these PEN's are selling very well even in Denmark which is a Canikon country these days!

My first impressions:
I haven't had time to use it seriously, but I can see it is a HUGE upgrade to my EP-1 (which I really liked).
It is somewhat different from whatI am used to, especially the touch screen gives me some funny shots, but I am getting more and more familiar with the beast.
High ISO quality is much better than the old PEN, I think I will routinely be able to use ISO 3200 and with some effort ISO 6400 as opposed to the ISP 1600 I stayed at with the EP1.

Only issue so far: I use Olympus Studio but it doesn't support EP-3
So which software should I get in order to process RAW ?
The Oly Viewer which came with the camera is not as good as Studio as far I have learned (I haven't tried it yet).
Any recommendations aprreciated

Now I will save up for a silver VF-2 bor my proper birthday present
Old 6th October 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Early birthday present

I think the E-P3 is supported in the latest version (3.5) of Lightroom, which is my choice of raw processor anyway.

But when I was using Oly cameras, I found that the new Viewer 2 was really very good, especially for a freebie!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th October 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Early birthday present

Hi StephenL
Thank you for your suggestion, I have kust tried the Olympus Viewer and it looks indeed promising for a free program.
But I think I will need to invest in Lightroom or other more proffessionel software in the long run.

For some time I did consider the Panasonic G3 twin lens kit set, but ended up with the EP3 eventhough it was a cheaper solution providing 16 Megapixel and probably better Hi-ISO performance.
My choice was primarily influencened by the PEN build quality, built-in IS, ability to use an external EVF later and also to a high degree by my experience with the EP-1

I think I will be very happy with my new camera