Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 12th February 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M10 hands-on preview and image samples

That all sounds encouraging – I had the grip for the E-1 but rarely used it (already amongst the best handling cameras ever designed in my humble opinion).

I don't mind carrying another battery with me, which is what I do with the E3.
Old 12th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
Handled one earlier this week at Jessops in Manchester.
Quite tempted by it, as I'm finding the E-3 is just too big and heavy for me much of the time and my Fuji x10 doesn't quite cut it.

I don't buy cameras very often so have missed out on the whole development of the micro 4/3rds I've always had a few issues about noise and low light images especially at high ISO settings.will I see a noticeable improvement in image quality from the E3 with 14-54mm lens to the OM-D EM10?
Expect a couple of stops of extra noise headroom and significantly more dynamic range and at least double the resolving power (the E-3 sensor has a quite powerful anti-aliasing filter).

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 12th February 2014

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

I'll second Ian's opinion about image improvement - I've got an E620, and the difference in IQ is fairly dramatic (to the EM-5). There are also a host of other features that make shooting so much better, too. The only thing I miss is the fully-rotating screen (and the eye-detector gets in the way of touchscreen shooting on the EM-5, but has been corrected for the EM1 and, I assume, EM10 (or does the EM10 not have touch-screen shooting ?))

Edit: it apparently DOES have touchscreen shooting; and an intervalometer, which I'd've loved; but NOT weathersealing ...

Last edited by Kami; 12th February 2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: corrections added
Old 12th February 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm quite warming to the idea of the camera. If I'm jumping ship from the E Series I'm going to have a quick looks at the competition, but nothing at the price with the features I want is screaming.

I do find a tilting and swivelling screen occasionally useful, as is weather sealing, but it's a cheaper camera so they're compromises I can live with. It'll be so nice to have a system camera that doesn't weigh a ton – especially on holidays, where I've always been torn between shooting and snapping.
Old 12th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
I'm quite warming to the idea of the camera. If I'm jumping ship from the E Series I'm going to have a quick looks at the competition, but nothing at the price with the features I want is screaming.

I do find a tilting and swivelling screen occasionally useful, as is weather sealing, but it's a cheaper camera so they're compromises I can live with. It'll be so nice to have a system camera that doesn't weigh a ton especially on holidays, where I've always been torn between shooting and snapping.
Once you've handled a lighter camera which still has "heft", along with a set of compact lenses, you won't go back.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 14th February 2014

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Ian, does it correct CA on Oly and Panasonic lenses on JPGs like the E-M1? I guess that may be reserved for the top model, unless it's a standard part of the latest TruePic VII engine? Just curious, as the E-M1 and E-M5 make a great pair at the moment.

Bruce
Old 14th February 2014

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami View Post
I'll second Ian's opinion about image improvement - I've got an E620, and the difference in IQ is fairly dramatic (to the EM-5). There are also a host of other features that make shooting so much better, too.
Actually for me if they simply put the sensor into an e-620 body that'd be about twice as nice as an E-M5/E-M1/E-M10 ...
But they won't.

Re:Image improvement : there is definitely more fine detail at 100% zoom, but apart from that and noise (which enables high-ISO) there are subtle things about colours and contrast that - in my opinion - are decidedly degraded in the modern cameras. It might be an unavoidable side effect of really good dynamic range. Someone made a great post about this elsewhere.
Old 17th February 2014

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

So the OMD-EM10 is not compatible with four thirds lenses?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 17th February 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It takes micro 4/3 lenses like all the Pens etc.
You can get an adaptor to fit the original 4/3 lenses on it.
I've got a couple of lenses I wouldn't replace such as a 35mm macro and 7-14mm, but rather than get an adaptor I'll use them on my E3 which will still see service in very bad weather as it's weather sealed.
Old 17th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmypreston View Post
So the OMD-EM10 is not compatible with four thirds lenses?
With the MMF adaptor, yes it is. But speed of autofocus may be challenged.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 17th February 2014

So what does this mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The E-M10 is a really great little camera but it's not what owners of ageing budget E-System DSLRs were hoping for as there is no E-M1 style phase-detect AF to make Four Thirds lenses work properly.

Ian

Old 17th February 2014

Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,329 Posts
Liked 2,423 Times in 1,145 Posts

To be honest I don't think the E-M1 works properly with 4/3s lenses either. It's better than a E-M5 yes but my old E510 still walks all over it in af with 4/3s lenses. But for everything else though the E-M1 is superb. Very frustrating given all the hype at launch.
Old 17th February 2014

Having an E400 and E420 this is bang in the price range I would go for an upgrade. I have read and watched reviews and it seems like an extremely capable body offering many features and benefits I do not currently have in a price range I can easily afford for a new body.

However, if it is not fully compatible with the thousands of pounds worth of 4/3 glass I have accumulated during my time being loyal to Olympus what is the point!

Old 17th February 2014

It appears the system I have invested my hard earned into is now obsolete completely. May be time to offload before it is completely worthless.

Old 17th February 2014

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,453 Posts
Liked 1,449 Times in 926 Posts

Mirrorless cameras need to use on-sensor phase detect (allocating some of the imaging pixels to be used for phase detection autofocus) to best focus lenses designed for phase detect autofocus, there being no mirror to deflect the image onto a separate pahse detect focussing sensor. The alternative is to use the conventional mirrorless camera technique of contrast detect autofocus for which these lenses were not designed - hence the slow performance.

On sensor phase detect (in fact a hybrid sensor as they can both CDAF and PDAF) is still a new technology. For this read pricey and not mature. In fact the E-M1 system still only has horizontal phase detect (its easier to read the sensor in rows of pixels rather than columns) rather than a cross type system. This is why you see hybrid sensors in the top of the range cameras where a higher price can be charged.

I am sure that in time the technology will filter down into the lower price cameras where it will benefit not only the four thirds phase detect designed lenses but also provide foccus confirmation for manual focussed lenses.

All this is not much help for those who wish to switch systems now but it does mean the future is not as bleak as it may at first appear. Of course I have no crystal ball and just because the technology will appear does not mean that Olympus will make it available (in the same way they mocked up an E-7 but decided it would be uneconomic to continue with further development).