Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th May 2008
Chillimonster

Just been asked to photograph Micheal Gomez (Boxer)

My neighbour from over the road is involved in the PR for a number of boxers including Rick Hatton (i knid you not!), and is also the editor of a Bi Monthly magazine.

She is after a front page shot of Michael Gomez, who is to be fighting Amir Kahn. He trains at our local gym and i have access to him while training, but........ I've NEVER done a one on one portrait shoot with anyone let alone a boxer.

Can anyone offer any good advice re poses, lighting, lense etc, or do i just go with the scattergun approach while he's sparring / training then do a few head-on 'poses'

Thanks

Chris
Old 19th May 2008
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Just been asked to photograph Micheal Gomez (Boxer)

You might be able to find someone from a local camera club who will come along and help you with lighting, poses, etc. There are one or two in my club in Bristol who might do it but I think it's way too far for them to travel.

This isn't the time and place for learning on the job!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 19th May 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
This isn't the time and place for learning on the job!
tell me something i dont know
Old 19th May 2008
brob108

I've recently become the photographer for the Cage Gladiators events in Liverpool, so it's in a similar area.

Unfortunately, the shots I do for the events are action rather than portrait so I'm having to work with the lighting in the arena and trying to focus on people moving quickly around the ring, rather than the cage itself! Some of the images have appeared in a magazine and there are quite a few on the Cage Gladiators website.

I suppose a lot of your shoot will depend on how much and for how long you have access to Gomez. If he's training you could get some interesting action shots with his sparring partner and try to get some individual shots during breaks. Do you know if you can ask him to pose for you?

I use Lightroom and found the presets wonderful for creating an interesting image. There are a couple of presets available based on the film '300' which helps give the images an appropriate feel. I'd look at something like GQ, Esquire or similar that often have some interesting images of sportsmen (in fact there's a Sports magazine in GQ this month) and may help for inspiration.

You could also try some shots beforehand with a friend as a model to see how guiding someone and the type of poses they produce come out. This is also a good chance to try out some different lighting techniques too.

Hope this is a bit of help, good luck with things and looking forward to your images.

I've attached a few of mine for reference below.

Brian

Old 19th May 2008
Chillimonster

Fantastic pictures, and love the natural moody lighting.
Old 19th May 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Excellent news Chris, a well deserved booking. I am sure you'll have a think and come up with something unique'ish! Can I suggest some things such as lo-key maybe, harsh shadows emphasising masculinity, lots of sweat, misty effects, how about a shot of his fist coming towards you (as long as you can duck quickly eh) - maybe with a slow speed thus with the chap in focus and sharp, but with some movement in the arm and fist...?

Just a few thoughts... but after a bottle of the white stuff, so please feel free to ignore me

Good luck with the shoot matey.

Old 19th May 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post

Just a few thoughts... but after a bottle of the white stuff, so please feel free to ignore me

Good luck with the shoot matey.

Thanks John, some good ideas.

I was thinking maybe rear curtain flash so i get some motion blur before the sharp picture?

White stuff........... Milk!
Old 19th May 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillimonster View Post
Thanks John, some good ideas.

I was thinking maybe rear curtain flash so i get some motion blur before the sharp picture?

White stuff........... Milk!
Yep, great suggestion Chris - that'd work perfectly. Not experienced enough for this rear curtain stuff just yet, need to read and research a little more before I venture into that realm... you'd be super at it though.

Hic... hic... - that white stuff