Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 6th November 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouseburn Adventure

As a relatively new resident in the North East I recently explored the River Ouseburn from its mouth on the River Tyne at the eastern end of the Newcastle Quayside as far as Lord Armstrong's Victorian bridge at Jesmond Dene, a couple of mostly leafy miles through Newcastle's inner suburbs. The eponymous village at the river mouth is the virtual cradle of the industrial revolution in Newcastle and has many historic reminders so it was not all leafy.
Ouseburn village is being redeveloped under the care of a trust and work on restoration is in hand. I attach a few pics from my walk.
This adventure along the river was described more fully in a photo essay I put on the DPR Olympus SLR forum if you would like to see more. There are rather more images than I can show here.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39754808

Regards Peter N.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ouseburn-1.jpg (99.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Ouseburn-2.jpg (99.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ouseburn-3.jpg (97.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ouseburn-16.jpg (96.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Ouseburn-23.jpg (96.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 7th November 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Ouseburn Adventure

Nice photo essay as seen on DPReview, with some well observed shots to show the wide variety of photo opportunities, history and humour along the route.
Did you get to see the shoe tree in Armstrong Park (which is between the Byker bridges and Jesmond Dene)? It's a few years since I've been down this route.

'Armstrong Park Shoe Tree(s)
The Newcastle shoe tree has been around for a few years now and I guess it must have been the amount of shoes on the original tree that made the local council cut down a few of the most decorated branches leaving it a shadow of it's former self. In the last couple of years people have been adding shoes to the other trees along that particular pathway making it more of a shoe tree alley these days.
A nearby sign about the shoe tree says The shoe tree is an old Sycamore, which reaches nearly 40 metres high. There are lots of different stories about how the shoe tree came about, but it is thought some time ago this fine, but ordinary tree became the shoe tree when young people celebrated the completion of their exams by throwing their shoes high into the branches. This has continued and there are now shoes of all different types, showing the fashion trends of the last 20 years. The shoe tree was made famous by the novel "The Taxi Driver's Daughter" by Julia Darling.
Sometimes the tree has too many shoes and the numbers have to be controlled. This is because they can affect the health of the tree and too many can be unsafe. There is therefore an annual harvest of shoes so we can protect this lovely tree.'

credit: http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.com/...rong-park.html

There are also some very good art galleries and studios close to the route, and would make perhaps an interesting Forum visit.

Regards
Chris
Old 7th November 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments Chris. I didn't see the shoe tree, and had never heard of it, but must look for it sometime. Thanks for the info. Fascinating. The bridge looks down on the dene and the Armstrong park and I have yet to explore that. There's more to discover and photograph in Ouseburn itself too.
My Ouseburn adventure was more hurried that it could have been and losing my way a couple of times didn't help. I'll certainly go back again when the railway bridge work is complete - and yes it would be a good area for a forum visit. Regards Peter
Old 7th November 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Armstrong Park shoe tree/s:
'go down the hill into heaton park from heaton park rd. the tennis courts are on your right. ice cream shop on your left. take a right at the bottom and walk towards jesmond dene. when the path splits take the 'low rd' and look to the left! voila! the shoe trees! they are cool. i know many people who have thrown shoes. its all good'
directions courtesy of Heather Symons as shown on the Facebook 'Shoe Tree of Heaton Appreciation Group' (Thank goodness for the internet)

From memory if approaching from Jesmond Dene, you take a footpath that angles uphill toward the tennis courts and the shoe trees are on the right near the top of the hill (which sort of fits in with the above directions in reverse!). I can't find a map and Google Maps doesn't show the paths due to the trees and wooded nature of that part of the park. I guess you may have been following the streamside path below the trees.

Regards
Chris