Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 22nd May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Karri trees of SW Australia

This is another of my 360/180 degree immersive interactive panos.
In the Australian southwest, 4hrs driive below the city of Perth and between the towns of Margaret River and Augusta, near where the Indian Ocean meets the Southern Ocean, the Boranup grove of Karri trees stands tall. They grow up to 80 metres and were heavily logged in the last two centuries but this grove remains and is a majestic sight, and it is awe-inspiring to stand among them. This pano gives you the opportunity.
The equirectangular panorama image looks a bit strange but it has to be transformed into the 6 sides of a cube for immersive viewing.

Here's the link to the immersive view:

http://www.360cities.net/image/karri...sw-australia-1

It's best to hit the "hide controls" button and remove the title frameat top right then navigate around with the cursor key - up to the sky through the canopy, 360 degrees round, and down to scuff your fingers in the leaf litter below.
I hope you like it. Cheers Peter
Old 22nd May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The Karri trees of SW Australia

Sorry the url code is wrong. Newbie error. I'll try again.
P.S. It's OK again now I think. Just ignore this message and enjoy the pano above. Peter
Old 23rd May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm beginning to think I am a bit of a weirdo. I have this passion for immersive panos and nobody else seems to. 48 views of my karri trees and not a single response, not even to say it's uninteresting and you don't like it. If I stick to panos with a few straight line stitches would I get more response?
Is this one more interesting? Cheers Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City-of-Perthweb.jpg (101.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 24th May 2011

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,374 Times in 1,975 Posts

Magnificent panos and great image quality.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 24th May 2011

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

Chemop your 360 pano is nothing short of stunning. The detail is great but coupled with the ability to rotate everywhere it's just brilliant, feels like I was there. How did you do that as there is absolutely nowhere that can't be viewed. Even vertically up and down views don't have any gaps and you can just spin on the top or bottom spot if you want too. The map is another suprise showing the direction of view and amaizingly the image view is rotated with the map view too. I've never seen a 360 pano quite as acomplished as this.
Old 24th May 2011

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Chemop your 360 pano is nothing short of stunning. The detail is great but coupled with the ability to rotate everywhere it's just brilliant, feels like I was there. How did you do that as there is absolutely nowhere that can't be viewed. Even vertically up and down views don't have any gaps and you can just spin on the top or bottom spot if you want too. The map is another suprise showing the direction of view and amaizingly the image view is rotated with the map view too. I've never seen a 360 pano quite as acomplished as this.
I have to agree with Phil. I rotated things so much that I started to get giddy. I love the detail. I looked at a couple of other 360 images and they too looked great.
Thank you for showing these Peter.
Oh, in all the excitement, I forgot to comment on your regular pano.

A lovely pano too. Just love the sweeping curves and straight lines. Well composed and interesting

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 24th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Pandora, Phill and Peter, I'm glad you liked these. The immersive 360/180 was done with a fisheye lens on an E410 camera on a tripod. You take 6 overlapping images around, one straight up and one of the ground below (without the tripod) then combine in panorama software (I use AutopanoPro) to make an equirectangular image. You then use other s/w (in this case pano2QTVR) to make the viewable interactive pano. It has to be uploaded to a sympathetic website e.g. 360Cities and a link posted for you. I cannot upload directly to Oly UK User Group. It can be done without a fisheye but it requires a lot more images. Thanks for your interest. Cheers Peter