Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation proposed changes to Freedom of Information legislation (warning - Political)

I apologise for non-Brits, and also for those who might disagree with these sentiments and would prefer politics to be kept separate from photography. I'm not particularly political, but am increasingly irritated by some things that are happening.

Anyhow, I found this earlier today

Quote:
On the 16th of May 2008 the High Court ruled that MPs’ expenses must be published under the Freedom of Information Act.

This Thursday [= 22nd January 2009], MPs are voting to change the law to keep their expenses secret after all, just before publication was due and after spending nearly a million of your pounds and seven months compiling the data.

Your MP may not even know about this proposal (it was sneaked out under the Heathrow runway announcement). Please take a few minutes to alert them to this attack on Parliamentary transparency and ask them to vote against the measure.
This is on Theyworkforyou -> http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ - where you can find the contact details of your MP, and also on Iain Dale's Blog How You Can Help Persuade MPs to Do The Right Thing

I have contacted our MP, who is very approachable and also very open. This is what I wrote

Having noted that you publish your expenses on both your website and theyworkforyou.com, I would be grateful if could you confirm that you will be voting against the proposed changes to the Freedom of Information legislation that will be put before Parliament on Thursday 22nd January.

I understand that these changes would allow MPs to keep details of their expenses private, concealed from public scrutiny.

Many thanks.

His reply - to the point!

Yes
DS
Old 20th January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts
Re: proposed changes to Freedom of Information legislation (warning - Political)

A politician who gives a clear, concise one word comittal answer - how refreshing!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: proposed changes to Freedom of Information legislation (warning - Political)

call me cynical or what but was it a yes to the first part or the second part of the question

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler
Old 21st January 2009

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Brown tried to put a 3-line whip on his MPs for this, then the Tories and LibDems said they'd vote against, and so it's gone back for 'further consultation'!

Don't bank on it not coming back in a roundabout/buried fashion!

The BBC story is at <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7842402.stm>

Andrew
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@ skyman1 I see what you mean, but I also got a phone call confirming the "yes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Riddell View Post
Brown tried to put a 3-line whip on his MPs for this, then the Tories and LibDems said they'd vote against, and so it's gone back for 'further consultation'!

Don't bank on it not coming back in a roundabout/buried fashion!
It seems Harman isn't happy, or satisfied with the result. They'll probably try to push it through somehow or other. I don't see why they should be worried about us seeing how they spend our money. *
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wish i was good enough to be an MP what with all that pay and allowances as well as = from BBC website
"MPs can claim up to £23,000 a year to spend on costs incurred while staying away from their main home - including televisions, rent or mortgage payments and up to £400 a month for food. " £4800 a year for food

£400 a month on food on what they get paid they should pay for their own food like most of the rest of the country

talk about gravy train !!

£27800 a year in expenses ,What about the pensioners living on peanuts!

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler